Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,946,446 times

Advertisements

- Just wanted to post what I heard in a News Interview Thursday.

I Hope This IS Erroneous Bogus Speculation!

But just in case it's Not? I still intent to stock up now.

I was flipping channels and caught a Rancher and then a Vineyard grower.

Talking about the drought out west.
How they've had to cut their production way back;
to the point that the Rancher made this wild statement:

People are going to be surprised when Next Month's Food Prices Will Double.

I got busy doing something else and really didn't think on his statement.
Or even check to see which stations reporter was interviewing them.
But now that I've had time to think about that?

If it is true? It would be mayhem wouldn't it ?

I just don't know how Food Prices could Double.

But then I would have never thought my Propane would either!

So, I think I will be stocking up and filling my freezer anyway.
After all I don't think Food prices are going down.
So stocking up now wouldn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 AM

26,280 posts, read 19,188,523 times
That would certainly be a problem if it came down to folks having to decide between paying their smartphone bill and buying food. There would be a lot of starving people, texting about how much weight they've lost.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 8,634,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
-

So, I think I will be stocking up and filling my freezer anyway.
After all I don't think Food prices are going down.
So stocking up now wouldn't hurt.
It never hurts to have some supplies put by, but it's a short term solution.
If you have any space, learning how to grow some of your own vegetables or maybe have a few chickens can work long term to augment your supplies and cut overall food costs.

I haven't heard the specific report you mention, but I do know the drought has affected ranchers in places from Colorado down through Texas so they don't have pasture or hay for their herds. For the past few years the herds have been trimmed to reduce the need for feeding hay all year, but the herds are about as small as practical for people ranching for a living.

States like mine have been exporting huge amounts of hay to the point that our own prices and stocks have been lowered because it is all going south.
I have heard reports of hay that sells for $2-300/ton here can fetch as much as $800 down south. Not sure of the accuracy of these reports, just what I hear from the locals doing the selling, but it does add credence to the report that prices may go up in the near future.

Especially if we have to start importing a large amount of our food from other countries.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If you have any space, learning how to grow some of your own vegetables or maybe have a few chickens can work long term to augment your supplies and cut overall food costs.

I haven't heard the specific report you mention, but I do know the drought has affected ranchers in places from Colorado down through Texas so they don't have pasture or hay for their herds. For the past few years the herds have been trimmed to reduce the need for feeding hay all year, but the herds are about as small as practical for people ranching for a living.

States like mine have been exporting huge amounts of hay to the point that our own prices and stocks have been lowered because it is all going south.
I have heard reports of hay that sells for $2-300/ton here can fetch as much as $800 down south. Not sure of the accuracy of these reports, just what I hear from the locals doing the selling, but it does add credence to the report that prices may go up in the near future.

Especially if we have to start importing a large amount of our food from other countries.
- Yes it does, thanks.

I wish I could grow food.

We live in a wooded area and the wild animals eat everything.
A neighbor has an apple tree. And the apples only get to the size of golf balls before there gone.
Plus our property is so shaded with huge 8 story trees that would cost a fortune to cut down.
We've been talking about moving...

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
that would certainly be a problem if it came down to folks having to decide between paying their smartphone bill and buying food. There would be a lot of starving people, texting about how much weight they've lost.
-

Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,226,199 times
I have plenty of Mt house MRE's so I'm good for quite awhile. No use getting bent over something we have little control over, but improvising is always a good idea.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM

6,764 posts, read 8,634,176 times
Quote:
- Yes it does, thanks.

I wish I could grow food.

We live in a wooded area and the wild animals eat everything.
A neighbor has an apple tree. And the apples only get to the size of golf balls before there gone.
Plus our property is so shaded with huge 8 story trees that would cost a fortune to cut down.
We've been talking about moving...
In that case, depending on where you live, there might be the opportunity to gather wild edibles like nuts from the trees or wild fruit.
If there is a lot of wildlife, perhaps hunting is an option for additional meat, or maybe fishing.

I don't know where you are, but temperate regions with hardwood forests have a lot of opportunity to gather a wide variety of wild edibles that could perhaps help with your food bill.

Might be worth looking into

Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM

Yes, we do have Walnut and Hickory nut trees.

We live in a Conservancy district also with 10 miles of nature trails.

We were allowed controlled hunts of Deer, and Geese on the Lake.
But people could not continue to agree on it, so it was stopped.
Plus there was people who'd protest about killing the animals.
But I'm sure if things got bad the hunts would start again.

I have physical limitations so covering areas to gather food is out for me.
The fishing is good.

I have a Pawpaw tree and a Mulberry tree.
But green ones is all I ever see before those are gone.
There are also wild berry bushes around if I can get to them before the animals.
There is so much wild life here cause we're not hunting that they are actually not getting enough to eat themselves.

One can hardly put out bird seed or food scraps because of peoples domestic pets.
Which I use to do. Since I have a lot of allergies and can not have pets myself.
I'd feed the wild life to watch them. But roaming cats stake out the bird feeders.
And neighbors dogs eat the scraps and then crap. So I've stopped putting anything out.

We have a wood burner and lots of wood from storm trees.
But this year we bought a small propane tank fireplace my breathing is not so good anymore because of asthma.
Talking about moving to a warmer climate...

Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,766,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I'm getting 110 bucks for 800lb big squares alfalfa grass mix....So much ground has been taken from hay production to make corn for ethanol that it makes hay gold.....

Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM

32,766 posts, read 48,508,866 times
Quote:
- .........People are going to be surprised when Next Month's Food Prices Will Double................................
The price of food has already doubled in the last 2 years. Two years ago I paid 88 cents pound for pork at the grocery store. Last week I paid $1.59 a pound, in bulk, at the wholesaler. That same meat last week at the grocery store would have been over $2 a pound.

Two years ago, I paid $1.79 for beef chuck. Now at the grocery store it is $4.50 a pound.

The type of bread my family likes was $1.29 a loaf and now it is $4.50.

I don't expect prices to double in just a month, but food production is down because of the drought, and transportation costs are up, plus inflation removes purchase power of your dollar, so yes indeed, grocery prices will continue to go up.

There are every few net food exporters in the world. The USA is one of them. So if our food production goes down to where it won't support the population and we can no longer export, there isn't going to be any food to buy on the world market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness