Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,915,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Look at a map of how the last presidential election went. You have small blue areas and large expanses of red.
The battle lines were drawn long ago.
Factually speaking most of America is purple not red or blue also acres don't vote, people vote, and guess where the people are? Cities because they're by far the most economically productive parts of the country and smart people go where they can make the most money and have the largest amount of employment options or chances to start up their own business with the highest probability of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,915,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
I"ll take my chances alone. I know many farmers/ranchers, and almost none are any better prepped than the typical Joe in the city. I kid you not. They buy all their food at Wally's, just like you do.
Indeed. Out of economic necessity most farmers are monocrop farmers or at best only raise a few different crops. In any event there is a reason, in the long history of humanity, farmers in rural areas almost always lose out politically, socially, economically, militarily to the much more numerous, better organized, and far wealthier cities.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,595,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Factually speaking most of America is purple not red or blue also acres don't vote, people vote, and guess where the people are? Cities because they're by far the most economically productive parts of the country and smart people go where they can make the most money and have the largest amount of employment options or chances to start up their own business with the highest probability of success.
People have always been forced from rural areas to urban for jobs, since the rise of the burgoiseis in the middle ages and the change from feudelism, the merchant class has always been in the cities.
With the advent of the industrial revolution and mechinization, the need for farm labor decreased so again, rural was forced to move to the urban areas where there were factories.

This started changing after WWII with the advent of better roads and transportation, suburbia was born.

However there is now a further change as our industrialization and manufacturing are moving overseas, some jobs are still physically located in urban centers, but a lot are now on-line through the internet so people no longer are doomed to live in overcrowded urban areas, they can go wherever they like including fairly remote areas.

This has a downside as subdevelopments pave over once productive farm land, drive up the price of land and make it harder for people to start small farms. This has also had the effect of moving people with liberal urban views out into the country changing the dynamic in some areas to make them less conservative as the people that did live there are displaced. Look at Colorado as an example.

Money isn't the whole factor for why all people choose to live somewhere, quality of life also figures in which is why so many leave the cities.
Regressive taxation will also force business to move and places with more reasonable taxes and regulations gain, see Texas.

None of this has a lot of bearing on who would or wouldn't survive a disaster, with the exception that folks living outside of urban areas have more ready access to other sources of food and water than urban dwellers that depend on a complex infrastructure to provide basic necessities, which also places urban areas at greater risk in the event of a disaster.

Add to that the greater density of the population, you have a greater need for supplies that come from elsewhere, so as far as disaster planning goes, those in urban areas are at greater risk if there is a disruption.

I don't really care if someone chooses to live in town, that's their problem. I was forced to live in several cities including San Diego for a while.
It really made me appreciate living in a rural area even if I don't make as much money as I could in a city, I make the decision to live where I can enjoy my life the way I want to live without thousands of people looking over my shoulder 24/7.

Everyone needs the freedom to choose what is best for them. For far too long the city with its votes have forced rural to live by regulations that may make life in a crowded city possible, but make no sense at all in a rural area.
Unless that changes, you will have areas trying to secceed from states such as just happened in Colorado, or the state of Jefferson in California.

When government is forced on people, it causes friction and the lines are drawn.

You can talk purple all you want, it doesn't change the differences between urban and rural people.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
opening the door and "giving a sandwich" would ensure your immediate death, and the death of all who are in that room. that's naive. and if you're elderly or female you just don't open the door period.

It's a no brainer that any guns blazing at any time during 24 hours would instantly wipe out those in a compound with no weapons. I guess people in "Iowa" wouldn't make it if they open doors to give out sandwiches and have no guns themselves.
Locals would organize a militia quickly enough and put a bloody end to any pillagers, either with a bullet or under Judge Lynch. The breakdown of civilization wouldn't mean that individuals would lose their minds.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You must know the outliers then. The vast majority of farmers/ranchers are much more better prepped than the typical Joe in the city.
Only because it's a 50 freakin' mile round trip just to run to the store for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM

25,882 posts, read 18,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Only because it's a 50 freakin' mile round trip just to run to the store for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread.
God that sounds good. Stop it.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Either I have ADD or I cannot follow this guy (in the blog)... it didn't make any sense!

I agree about the statement "Many Preppers Will Not Survive" though.

Many "preppers" are more aptly described as "Hoarders" and/or "Gearheads". It's one thing to have the ultimate decked out AR-15, camo suit, web gear, cases of MRE's ect, ect. and quite another to keep your head when things REALLY go bad. Survival isn't about the tools... (any decent primitive skills enthusiast can make and collect all the tools necessary for survival straight from the natural environment) it's about what is going on between the survivalist's ears.

Those who are strongly isolationist (often mistaken as "independent" in the prepper world) will find the going is REALLY tough when you are a permanent 1-man show; they forget humans are a social species by nature who need to go out and make meaningful connections with others from time to time just to stay sane. Beyond that, there just isn't time in the day to do EVERYTHING that needs to be done to live well. After all, even if you spend dawn to dusk laboring on your 100% self-sufficient farm in the boonies, you can't stay up and guard it all night when desperate bandits are about... the same goes for you spam bunker (aka, juicy target). We are still gonna need others during the Apocalypse!

A real survivalist is "The Grey Man" out on the street... the guy who doesn't give everyone else the jitters as he walks by. He's not marching down the street in his open carry state with his favorite rifle and brace of pistols shouting anti-government slogans, covering his "tactical" pickup truck with edgy bumper stickers or bragging about how bad-assed and prepared for "SHTF" he is on the internet (essentially painting bull's eyes on himself with his ISP address) and generally making an ass of himself.

A real survivalist is friendly, honest, trustworthy, hard working, gregarious and reliable. He has good friends, is well respected in his community for good reason and is the guy who steps up to the plate and gets the hard stuff done when everyone else is afraid to try. He's humble too... always ready to help but not judgmental or elitist. In a way, he's a real Boy Scout!

A real survivalist knows HOW to do things... he's a jack of all trades who can fix your plumbing, fix your car, fix dinner, fix a sick cow and fix the hole in your pants, all in one day. He knows how things work, how to troubleshoot and how to build/repair/maintain them. He knows how to hunt, fish, trap, farm, raise animals and even collect enough bugs to make a meal if necessary.

A real survivalist is educated. He may not have a piece of paper saying so, but he knows stuff... LOTS of stuff. He knows knowledge is power and has taken it to heart. He probably has his own personal library spanning a broad range of subjects. He would consider a life without continuously learning to be a life wasted.

A real survivalist is brave, but not reckless or a show-off. He can come up with and execute strategies that actually work in real-life. He has nothing to prove to the world and has no interest in taking unnecessary risks, but is a good judge and a skilled fighter when it's necessary. He knows when to NOT fight and yes, he know when to! He can keep his wits about him, even in the worst circumstances.

A real survivalists loves life. He loves to have fun but gets sick to his stomach if that "fun" involves hurting other people physically or emotionally for his benefit. He's not the kind of guy who would kill for sport; if he hunts, he goes into the woods for food and raw materials, not to conquer Mother Nature. He is part of his world, does well by god, isn't aloof and is always willing to help those in need.

In short, a REAL survivalist embodies the highest ideals of humanity at large. Humans are the original survivalists, after all; tens of thousands of years of evolutionary pressures have made us a certain way for a reason...those are the kind of people who survive when things get tough!
Basically a cheesy way of saying what I have said LOLZ. The ones who survive are the ones that can work with others, prove himself reliable enough to not get booted out of the corp. A survivalist must be valuable to his team.

Also, he does not necessarily have to be a trained killer, or be willing to kill, but it could not hurt you to be either of those two.

Sometimes I think the ultimate survivor is like a made man in the mafia. He is sociable, can make connections, knows how to talk, is a proven earner and has the ability to do the ultimate task when called upon (that is how you get made), and is not afraid of some danger.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM

25,882 posts, read 18,904,112 times
Spoken as a true Borg. Assimilate!

Each has a right to choose to be a tool or not. Scare tactics will not change that choice for most.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 PM

195 posts, read 281,799 times
Dont be "findable' and you won't have to worry about marauders, or having to shoot women and children that are just hanging around, unable to go further, and many other problems that come with using existing shelters. All you have to do is "hole up" for a year or so. So many will be dead, a year after shtf, that there will be lots of shelter and other goodies, just for the taking.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
Dont be "findable' and you won't have to worry about marauders, or having to shoot women and children that are just hanging around, unable to go further, and many other problems that come with using existing shelters. All you have to do is "hole up" for a year or so. So many will be dead, a year after shtf, that there will be lots of shelter and other goodies, just for the taking.
I disagree with that logic, it's NOT that simple. WHY? primarily because in that year or longer that you will be required to "hole up" there are going to be numerous times that you are going to HAVE to venture out for supplies or other reasons, opening you up to risks and events that are going to require you to take action or DIE. YOU will not have everything you need. WHAT guarantee do you think you have that there will be anything LEFT for you?? QUOSS, have you ANY military background at all? I DO, and can guarantee you it will NOT be that simple. IF shtf occurs, depending on the event and the scale involved, UNTRAINED people will perish in short order because they will still be in disbelief while a handful of others will take the opportunity to gather what they need and conduct their business in a quiet and efficient manner and will KILL anyone who is resistant in anyway to their survival. I WILL be one of that group. While your busy with your 5 gal bucket TRYING to find water, I would be TAKING your life AND your bucket for the water I've already found. Things WE take for granted NOW, will be things we might have to risk dieing for LATER, and you think you'll just have to lay around for a year until all the bad goes away?? Guess again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness