Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,649,998 times

Advertisements

Ok, the Am Redoubt is semi-known on here. Some have no idea & others bash it. Well, when this society collapses (& soon it will w/ global powers at odds) then bunkers & underground dwellings will be the least you'll need. I have no provisions to go that far yet, thus I'm a quintessential loser in that regard to a hardcore prepper. But its not preppers we are, yet those trying to be around for the rebuilding of society -- when the ultimate, invariable SHTF occurs.

I know its easy now livin the good life, noshing & storin nuts & bakin pies for the future, but if a catastrophic event does occur, how in hell are most remotely here even ready? We need meet-ups or pull-togethers & screen those not suited for this idea, nor an asset to the common cause/good -- as this can be looming for yrs or simply crop up in days as in an emp from asia or europe, etc.

Please wakeup partisan fans & smell the coffee as we need to step up our game & many here need decide if they're fluff 'n stuff or the real deal. Hate the message & please don't hate the messenger here, ok? TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,513,514 times
Good luck with all that! As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! Most posters are here, first and foremost, to interact with others on a forum, to talk about guns and EMP and zombies, from the comfort of their computer chairs. They are not serious survivalists... they are looking for entertainment on their phones, tablets and PCs.

At this stage in my life (just turned 70, tho young for it) I am more concerned with my family, their safety, their housing, their provisions, heat, clean water, etc. I have already lived my life. I own housing and acreage in 4 states, and we all have options as to where we go if SHTF. No bunkers needed.

I think the alarmists need to consider 2 things: SHTF is not an event, but a process, and we are already azz-deep into it. Second, one must go on with life. What's the use of survival for survival's sake? There are job demands to meet, families to be provided for, children to be educated, businesses to be run, etc etc.

Relax, take a deep breath, turn the radio program off. Go outside, breathe some fresh air, enjoy the sunshine. Life is still good!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,960,355 times
I visit this forum because I'm interested in becoming more self sufficient. I already live in what would be my ideal bug-out location if I lived somewhere else. I do believe that hard times are ahead for we humans, but I don't think everything is going to collapse overnight - although that's possible. Question is how PROBABLE that is. Not very IMO. I'm working on enlarging my veggie garden and collecting caning supplies. I don't have the time to build some sort of re-enforced shelter, nor do I see the need for one. You can build your impregnable castle, meanwhile I'll be growing my own food with plenty of surplus left over to sell to my neighbors. Come the apocalypse, I'll give you a half price discount.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 AM

29,227 posts, read 22,455,967 times
Self sufficiency is always a good idea, but the fact is, if there is a complete societal collapse, life would become a lot more like it was in the late 1800s to ca. 1917 than it is now.

Essentially, that means no more motors. No more gasoline power, no more electrical power, no more instant communications, and no chance of any of it coming back for quite a long time to come.

And since our rail system is no longer as extensive or viable as it was back then, there won't be a lot of readily available products we all use the most every day with no thought given to them.

But that does not mean life needs to be desperate or extremely difficult. After all, our ancestors all lived through those times, mostly in relative comfort, and well enough to make us. One simply needs to study closely how everyone lived back then, and try to prepare accordingly using a 19th century template instead of the 21st century.

That kind of preparation is extensive, but the Amish, for example, are still living in it every day, and all the stuff they use is still available. Living like the Amish is a good way to start, if one thinks SHTF is the real-deal inevitability. Anything else is just nice fluffy fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness