Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 05:37 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I haven't tried that one. The best tasting instant (freeze dried) coffee I've had is Taster's Choice. It's not great but it's better than the others like Folgers.

You can get 1,000 single-serves for about $80 if you use "subscribe and save" for a 15% discount and click the coupon button for an additional 10% discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Insta...f_=as_li_ss_tl

We grow and process our own coffee, so I don't have a need to stockpile coffee, but the local CVS frequently has smaller boxes of the single serves on sale for a couple bucks and I buy them to keep in car for long drives.
I started drinking Mount Hagen for 2 reasons. First, its organic. Second, to make a pot of coffee is just a waste for me. I end up throwing most of it out.

I used to drink commercial instant. Now that I am used to Mount Hagen, the commercial stuff tastes nasty to me. Some of it, like it sat in the pot too long before they made it into instant.

If you like the Nescafe, you are certainly getting it at a better price.

1000 Mount Hagen at the great price I showed is $260 for 1,000. Most places carry the box for between $ 8 & $9. Then 1000 units would be between $ 320 & $360.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 01:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Can anyone recommend a dry or shelf-stable milk? Or creamer? I can't imagine coffee without my half-n-half!

Old 07-31-2021, 05:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Can anyone recommend a dry or shelf-stable milk? Or creamer? I can't imagine coffee without my half-n-half!
Better than powdered milk is powdered cream:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

It makes a nice coffee creamer, but it can also be re-hydrated to make butter or whipped cream. Although shelf-stable, for long-term storage it has to be kept in the freezer.

Another option is a canned item like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nestl%C3%A9-T...f_=as_li_ss_tl

The above is a staple on boats for people who like sour cream but are limited on refrigeration. Mix a can with 1-2 tsp of white vinegar and put in fridge for half hour and it will thicken up and taste just like sour cream. It's cheap at Walmart, look in the Mexican or hispanic food section if you can't find it with the canned milk products.

While we're on the subject of milk powders, there are videos aplenty on the interwebs on how to make good mozzarella cheese from powdered milk.

Back to your original question, the original shelf-stable milk, also cheap at Walmart. Mix 50/50 with water for milk, or use as-is for a creamier variety. They aren't kidding about the expiration date though, the stuff starts turning brown and the flavor goes soon after the expiration date:

https://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Eva...f_=as_li_ss_tl

They sell regular powdered milk at Costco, if you can stand the taste.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:34 PM

Costco has a $10 off sale on a 15-pouch (28 servings) Mountain House variety pack.

https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100642273.html

$10 manufacturer's savings is valid 12/28/21 through 1/20/22. While supplies last.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:48 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
^^^^
TY for that link, that was a huge savings for someone like me...who loves MH!
Be it a road trip, or disaster; those meals are all of restaurant quality.
Somehow they mastered eggs, which generally have poor texture; even when using proper water amount.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:42 PM

https://freezedrywholesalers.com/ is currently accepting pre-orders for freeze-dried pizza from a national delivery chain. (note, it has to be re-hydrated by steaming rather than using liquid water). They probably won't offer it again for another year.

The last pre-order opportunity was for McDonalds. I understand these are garbage foods but some people may be interested in the novelty. They are a supplier for the US Navy and use technology they developed and tested to make things like McDonalds and Pizza delivery available for submarines. They have limited capability to offer to private sales so only do it on infrequent, pre-order basis. 10% off with coupon code EBAY.

I've tried their raw, freeze-dried steaks. They cook up very similar to a steak from the store and the smell of grilling meat makes one salivate in a way that adding water to a pouch could never come close to doing. It might actually be bad opsec to cook something like that in SHTF situation.

(I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a customer).

One of the benefits of rehydrating a freeze dried steak is that you can add the marinade to the liquid and kill two birds with one stone, in fact the marinade works much faster and goes to the center of the meat.

Last edited by terracore; 02-21-2022 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 09:02 PM

Not trying to spam the forum, I just noticed that Costco has it's Mountain House 1 Year Emergency Food Supply / 246ct pallet of freeze dried food available. (Has been unavailable since the C19 nonsense started).

https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100843064.html

Mountain House 1-Year Food Supply

**Please place this pallet order as a standalone order with no other items for shipping reasons.**

Whether natural or man-made, emergency situations are unexpected, unwelcome and often unavoidable. With a 1-Year Food Supply from Mountain House, you will be prepared with meals for any emergency that requires you to be self-sufficient for up to a year. This supply includes 724,680 calories, enough for 1,985 calories per day. Each Mountain House 1-Year Food Supply has a shelf-life of 30 years, which means you’ll be ready if the disaster happens today or 29 years from now.

Each Mountain House Food Supply Includes
66 Mountain House Freeze-dried Granola with Milk and Blueberries #10 Cans (39.5 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
48 Mountain House Freeze-dried Rice and Chicken #10 Cans (19.0 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
48 Mountain House Freeze-dried Spaghetti with Meat Sauce #10 Cans (14.8 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
30 Mountain House Freeze-dried Breakfast Skillet #10 Cans (15.0 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
18 Mountain House Freeze-dried Mexican Adobo Rice and Chicken #10 Cans (16.0 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
18 Mountain House Freeze-dried Beef Stroganoff with Noodles #10 Cans (21.7 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
18 Mountain House Freeze-dried Chili Mac with Beef #10 Cans (19.6 oz. Net Wt. per can / 30year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)

Your Price 5,699.99$
Shipping & Handling Included

Old 02-22-2022, 03:22 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Not trying to spam the forum, I just noticed that Costco has it's Mountain House 1 Year Emergency Food Supply / 246ct pallet of freeze dried food available. (Has been unavailable since the C19 nonsense started).

https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100843064.html

Mountain House 1-Year Food Supply

**Please place this pallet order as a standalone order with no other items for shipping reasons.**

[snipped: details of contents]

Your Price 5,699.99$
Might be useful for a food bank for preppers, or for resale.
About enough to equip a platoon or company of militia.
(Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics. -- Mountain Guerrilla.)

Old 02-23-2022, 10:13 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Been using Mountain House for over 30 years when we backpack. Pretty much a staple for every Boy Scout troop I've been involved with from West Virginia to Montana. It's fine for that occasional use, but not something I'd ever stock. We have totes set up for quick evacuation due to wildfire, and MRE's are our temporary food source. No water, no heat, no cooking required. We rotate the stock so I use some during hunting season, when my wife and I go hiking or do backcountry ATV rides. If we are backpacking with a stove and gear we take Mountain House.

I have a friend who thru hiked the AT back in the 90's, and he carried and ate lentils, dried onions and peppers and dried meat bits. His other food was dried fruits and nuts. That was it. 7 months. Mountain House is not as calorie dense as some think it is, so depending on your activity level, like his, alternatives are preferred.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-23-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-23-2022, 12:54 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Not trying to spam the forum, I just noticed that Costco has it's Mountain House 1 Year Emergency Food Supply / 246ct pallet of freeze dried food available.
Your Price 5,699.99$
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Might be useful for a food bank for preppers, or for resale.
About enough to equip a platoon or company of militia.
(Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics. -- Mountain Guerrilla.)
Yeah, I didn't do the math the first time I looked at this, and thought it was 246 each of 1yr supply.
Since not too many of us live 246 years, I was thinking 1 year for 246 people.

Ha, Ha! My bad!
Had I thought about it, that wouldn't make sense with the $5700 price.
Price on what I had envisioned would be at least $1million, and would fill a rail car.

So this is a pallet of 264 containers, and the whole pallet should be sufficient, to last one person for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness