Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 11:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You're incorrect on it being processed, and the chicken fajita bowl is off the chain good.
I will say the breakfast scramble is my least favorite, but again; biscuits and gravy are good.
If you go any cheaper on freeze dried, the list of chemicals etc. goes way up; flavor way down.

Here is MH chicken alfredo:
Sauce: Sweet Cream • Chicken (chicken meat, salt) • Blend of Parmesan, Romano and Mozzarella Cheese (cow's milk, cultures, salt, enzymes) • Corn Starch • Butter (sweet cream) • Yeast Extract; Less than 2% of: Onion Powder • Sea Salt • Garlic • Black Pepper • Parsley Precooked Noodles: Durum Semolina • Whole Egg • Salt
That list certainly makes it sound good. Makes me consider buying some, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 03:07 PM

4,934 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
That list certainly makes it sound good. Makes me consider buying some, myself.
Sale price going on:
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hous...%2C298&sr=1-11

Old 01-01-2024, 06:23 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I don't know if I've tried their chicken alfredo, but I like that chicken is the second ingredient. All of the cheap freeze dried foods don't have meat of any kind in it. They are mostly just pastas or grains with flavorings and processed milk ingredients.

Freeze drying is the most expensive way to preserve food. It's also the best. It seems a shame to waste all that energy and packaging to use it on horrible tasting meatless food. Yes freeze dried food is expensive. But that depends on context. If you eat it 30 years from now it will seem like a bargain compared to whatever fresh food is going to cost at the time. People don't take it backpacking because it's cheap. They take it backpacking because if you tried to hike into the wilderness with a gallon of fettuccini alfredo to eat a week later, you hauled around 10 pounds of rotten slop for no reason.

I do talk MH food up but its not like I'm a shareholder or anything. I haven't tried every freeze dried option out there but MH is the clear winner of the ones I've tried. They do have some serious duds too though. Their "breakfast skillet" or whatever its called is horrible IMHO.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:52 PM

Freeze Dry Wholesalers is selling pizza again. This week only- and no guarantee the Navy will ever order it again (the large government order is a prerequisite for them to offer limited quantities to the public).

https://freezedrywholesalers.com/sea...2Cpage&q=PIZZA

Old 02-02-2024, 05:08 PM

MH sale until 2/24/24:

"Share your love for adventure with 30% off our kits and 40% off #10 cans"

https://mountainhouse.com/collection...FCP5mj-.zgzJD6

Old 03-03-2024, 08:02 PM

Now the #10 cans are 50% off! This is cheaper than Costco and without having to commit to buying many cans.

https://mountainhouse.com/collections/red-cross-month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness