Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 PM

355 posts, read 226,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
metropolitan area of 11 million people was just immediately quarantined and no one is allowed in public within the quarantine zone without a mask on.
I hate to tell you, but the little masks don't do piddly **** against a virus. Bacteria, maybe. But viruses pass straight through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Um, just so you guys know, measles and distemper are corona viruses and we've had those around for centuries.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS and SARS.
Measles and distemper are paramyxoviruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
You are 100% correct. This entire thing has been created for profit. Who cares if people lose their lives? Your CDC sure as hell doesn't.

In the first place; the 'wild' Coronavirus is LITERALLY THE common cold.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/virus/corona/colds.html

But the CDC's patent on its laboratory strain Coronavirus expired ... TODAY

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7220852

And wa-la; stocks are on the rise already for the guys with the vaccine in the works:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/va...auKhWVMrP9GNfo

Time to wake up people!
The viruses that cause SARS and MERS are also coronaviruses. Those diseases are certainly not "THE common cold". SARS kills over one in ten who are infected, up to half of those over age 65; MERS kills about one in three.

Estimates of SARS death rates revised upward | CIDRAP

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4631129/

I suppose both of those are also part of your anti-vax conspiracy theory.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:08 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,310,718 times
I’ve had hangovers more severe than this wimpy media hyped virus. I ain’t skeered .

The scary part is the quarantine of entire cities and millions of people. A great way to incite fear and panic. You shouldn’t live in a city and preferably as far away as possible from one if you’re concerned about being locked down for a human experiment. If you must live in a city, 30 day food supply at a minimum isn’t sounding like a crazy prepper fringe idea anymore.

The other scary part to think about is if “they” had the ability to release a lab created, easily transmissible and highly deadly virus upon the general population, would they do it, to (in their minds) save the planet from evil polluting humans? Sounds crazy but I’m personally not sure.

I do think a more deadly virus will manifest itself eventually. The prepping aspect to be learned out of this whole situation is to be prepared for a possible quarantine of not leaving your house for 30 days at a minimum. Even if the quarantine is not an actual quarantine or government enforced, do you really want to be going to the grocery store when people are dropping like flies?

Another survival lesson to be learned that’s obvious and common knowledge to some already: prepare and fortify your immune system and body with healthy foods vitamins and minerals long before this even starts. The mortality rate is lower for just about anything in a healthy individual.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,873,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Um, just so you guys know, measles and distemper are corona viruses and we've had those around for centuries.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS and SARS.
The local radio talk show I listen to in the wee hours said that there are reports this new virus was passed from a snake to a human. The Huang (sic?) Market as the source for patient ZERO. I assume that snakes are food in that part of china. It is hard for us in the US to understand WHY anyone would eat something like bugs, snakes, cat, dog or even horses. However if you have no choice?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:41 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,807,439 times
Default Their lifestyle is rising, but still tougher than the US'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
The local radio talk show I listen to in the wee hours said that there are reports this new virus was passed from a snake to a human. The Huang (sic?) Market as the source for patient ZERO. I assume that snakes are food in that part of china. It is hard for us in the US to understand WHY anyone would eat something like bugs, snakes, cat, dog or even horses. However if you have no choice?
Yah, the vector to initially pass the virus to a person is thought to have been a snake. (I don't remember if a lab sequenced the genes of the virus, or it was some other method of tracing the source.) Offhand, you would think that cooking the meat would kill the virus - maybe it was passed on by breaks in the skin of the butcher's hand? Or direct contact with blood.

Anyway, snake is on the menu @ specialty restaurants in the US - especially the SW, as I recall. & people who live off the land probably eat snake, rabbit, whatever comes to hand.

Horse meat is still (?) a delicacy in parts of Europe. Not sure if that trend continues.

China's pork herds took a hit about a year ago - a swine flu that caused the government to slaughter most of the herd, to try to control the outbreak. Consequently, China has been importing pork & substitutes, to make up the shortage.

Bushmeat seems to be a given in China. But as their income rises, they increasingly want (& can afford) a First World lifestyle - cars, vacation homes, food, electronics, health care. Between the swine flu & the disruptions to their economy from the US/China trade disagreements, & the pressure on their economy & health systems from the Wuhan virus - China isn't going to shut down any source of protein, even if that system was the vector for the Wuhan virus.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
I fall into the over 48 category so I am concerned.

I guess we can listen and learn here- if they tell the truth

BNO Newsroom‏Verified account @BNODesk

The World Health Organization is due to hold a press conference in 30 minutes (at 1 p.m. ET) on whether coronavirus is a public health emergency of international concern
I expect we will end up with a few thousand cases in the US, all in the next month or so. It’ll probably slow down thereafter as the China travel stops. Most of the cases we will get will be backlogs of people who came back from there recently. Thereafter we will have to see how the warm weather impacts things as we get into March and beyond. Respiratory viruses have been shown to survive less length of time in higher UV light and spread less effectively in warm air so the virus may more or less disappear in summer everywhere other than Southern Hemisphere. The medical gurus will have to work diligently through the summer to see how they can progressive on any sort of vaccine in case it makes a return in the fall. I suspect though this is over by then

Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM

4,964 posts, read 3,324,141 times
See https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/coronavirus/index.html

Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I expect we will end up with a few thousand cases in the US, all in the next month or so. It’ll probably slow down thereafter as the China travel stops. Most of the cases we will get will be backlogs of people who came back from there recently. Thereafter we will have to see how the warm weather impacts things as we get into March and beyond. Respiratory viruses have been shown to survive less length of time in higher UV light and spread less effectively in warm air so the virus may more or less disappear in summer everywhere other than Southern Hemisphere. The medical gurus will have to work diligently through the summer to see how they can progressive on any sort of vaccine in case it makes a return in the fall. I suspect though this is over by then
Coronaviruses do display winter seasonality:

https://jcm.asm.org/content/48/8/2940

There are some viruses, though, which commonly circulate in the summer months, including some rhinoviruses.

Any vaccine may come too late to be of help with the current outbreak but potentially useful in the future. Antiviral medications are also being investigated.

https://time.com/5768956/wuhan-coron...ine-treatment/

Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Coronaviruses do display winter seasonality:

https://jcm.asm.org/content/48/8/2940

There are some viruses, though, which commonly circulate in the summer months, including some rhinoviruses.

Any vaccine may come too late to be of help with the current outbreak but potentially useful in the future. Antiviral medications are also being investigated.

https://time.com/5768956/wuhan-coron...ine-treatment/
Yeah there are definitely some strains of bug that are more prevalent in summer. As a matter of fact many forms of meningitis are more effectively spread in summer

Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM

21,953 posts, read 9,532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What are they doing with the ones they catch? That's rather important.
They are shot out on the tarmac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness