Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 02:39 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,276,136 times

Advertisements

We do seem to be taking such things much more seriously tho. My grandmother was alive during the 1918-19 Spanish flu outbreak.. She said no one thought much of it until it was sweeping thru the land. Then there was widespread panic. Same thing with HIV. I am not disturbed that the airlines are checking people. I don't want this, or any other new disease, to get a foothold in my country. Maybe we can't keep it from entering our country, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try!!!

t takes time to create a way to immunize against a virus, and our antibiotics are increasing ineffective, so the more precautions we take, the better. I sympathize with anyone who wants to come to America for medical treatment, but I don't want anyone with a disease like the coronavirus in an unrestricted environment.

This might make me a poor Christian, but I would rather be a poor Christian and a good survivalist than the reverse.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/asia/...ntl/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 04:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
I applaud the checks they are taking but it won't be enough. it'll happen sooner or later..................

Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
What are they doing with the ones they catch? That's rather important.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
What are they doing to screen those who don't arrive through the 3 select airports? I can see those concerned about possible "inspection testing" simply travel through a country that has flights to one of the other 140 plus US airports that have international arrivals without inspection testing. If we are serious about this and not just playing some game of chance, require everyone with contact from the impacted area to travel into the US only through those airports with inspection testing capabilities.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,554 times
Chances are this thing has existed for a long time. Maybe 100 years. It’s just that it has mutated for the time being to a very virulent form. In a few months or weeks it’ll mutate again and seem to disappear. This is basically what SARS did. The mortality rate with this is probably under 5%. They think it’s 10 but you always have to slice that number since there are usually many minor cases you never hear about

Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
And so it starts ...
"Federal health officials have confirmed that a case of coronavirus has been diagnosed in Seattle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they will begin screening passengers at two additional airports: the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

The outbreak has spread from the central Chinese city of Wuhan to cities including Beijing and Shanghai, the CDC said Tuesday. Cases have also been reported outside China, including in South Korea, Thailand and Japan. At least six have died."
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...d-u-s-n1119486

Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Here's the global status of the virus today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-on-high-alert
Attached Thumbnails
Here we go again, a new virus!!!!-corona_virus.png  

Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Chances are this thing has existed for a long time. Maybe 100 years. It’s just that it has mutated for the time being to a very virulent form. In a few months or weeks it’ll mutate again and seem to disappear. This is basically what SARS did. The mortality rate with this is probably under 5%. They think it’s 10 but you always have to slice that number since there are usually many minor cases you never hear about
This virus may have been around for thousands of years, some of the preliminary guesses are that it mutated to pass from person to person. Hopefully it fizzles out and doesn't mutate again into a worse form or affect people like the Dengue virus where the first exposure causes a bad illness but subsequent infection of a similar strain causes a frequently fatal hemorrhagic fever. We don't know yet what subsequent infections may do.

I don't plan on taking any additional precautions but if I had any sort of lung illness I certainly would. I've had pneumonia before and it was the sickest I've ever been in my life.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
One may recall an SF novel from the late 40's called "Earth Abides". Dealing with a world wide pandemic destroying mankind except for a few individuals. No monsters or zombies but I liked it because the Author seemed to deal a lot with the emotional impact such an event would have on the survivors. Interesting (to me anyhow)

Old 01-22-2020, 01:38 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
This thing has been engineered. They hope to accomplish one or both:

- Reduce meat-eating by the public (veganism is the agenda)
- Develop a vaccine that everyone must get, or not be able to work or go to school.

Someone wants to control everyone, world-wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness