Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 10:44 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,513,158 times

Advertisements

From my limited experience, (I'm not a full bore, more a how to get by during supply chain disruption). Preppers don't stop doing the basics. Know your inventory, rotate / cycle through things that have limited shelf/storage life. Restock items that may be undervalued at the present and reassess what you consider vital supplies for your environmental conditions to insure readiness.

It's more a mindset than getting over one perceived threat/incident. The mindset is long term. Work on building relationship of reliable social network. Find community of like minded people. Learn new skill set, improve proficiency in others, etc...

At it's most basic (paraphrasing Whitney Young) "It is better to be prepared for an 'incident/crisis' and not have one, than to have an "incident/crisis" and not be prepared".

Old 11-10-2020, 09:47 AM

4,951 posts, read 3,108,959 times
Now what? Did we just dodge a war? What's a prepper to do now?

For me it's now buying gold and silver coins.
In the unlikely event the dollar does not collapse, then I can always cash them out at some future date; perhaps for higher value.
This way I don't feel like I'm possibly wasting $$ on other things I may not ever need.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,881,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
OK, just watched Biden's victory speech. Meanwhile the outgoing president still hasn't accepted defeat. But today I've seen an amazing difference on the internet and in the streets of our cities. Meanwhile the "red hat army" has like, vaporized. I saw one "boogaloo boy" with an AR in Phoenix outside the election office today, all by himself. All the lifted "Bro Trucks" with Trump flags that have been driving around intimidating people in our town are gone.

The last time I saw this - people spontaneously dancing in the streets waving flags, and seeing the forces of a despotic dictator disappear overnight, was the morning after Samosa got booted out of Nicaragua back in '79.

So, what happens now? I've got a pile of food, almost as big of a pile of ammo. Is it too early to eat the case of mac n cheese and go recreational shooting again? We dodged a war over the election, but will a new one arise when Biden goes after our guns? Are we looking at more lock downs due to the mismanagement of covid? Is "Rocket Man" going to start saber rattling again? Our electric grid is still an emp disaster waiting to happen.

What is your opinion of what preppers should do now?
there is no civil war on the agenda no matter who wont the presidency.

i am a little concerned about biden starting a war with iran or some other 3rd world country. i know that we shouldnt expect that from democrats but war is bipartisan because it is simply based on corrupt politicians. i view biden as pretty corrupt and so he may start a war.

trump did some things i wasnt happy with (like murdering an iranian general) but he didnt expand any conflicts or create new ones so that was a plus.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:57 AM

5,488 posts, read 4,503,119 times
Back earlier this year when people were buying out toilet paper like there was no tomorrow, some guy at a store told another person that he prepped ahead of time, back when Obama was going to be president. We all remember the TP shortage back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The media keeps trying to 'call' the election while the election is in mid-process. This is stupid and it makes our nation look like idiots.

They need to STOP announcing who they hope will win. Calm down, let the counters count and let the observers observe.

Everyday some 'news' group 'announces' who they hope will win, and it is just so stupid.

When the election is over, then it will be over.
Trump joined that brigade. He was announcing that he won, when the votes were still being counted. And yes, mail in votes do count. We have people overseas working jobs, some serving in the military, those in other government positions. Not our fault that Trump couldn't be bothered to educate himself on how things work.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:57 PM

644 posts, read 310,816 times
Well it's not like your stash is about to spoil, right? I'd probably relax a little about how much of it is off-limits, but still keep a healthy stash around.

My gut feeling is there isn't going to be unrest around the election, but we're on shaky footing as a society and there is a lot simmering under the surface. Some basic foundations of our society are quietly falling apart, with most people not noticing or caring, and I'm not sure when we'll see the repercussions or what they will look like.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,764,521 times
Quote:
So, what happens now? I've got a pile of food, almost as big of a pile of ammo. Is it too early to eat the case of mac n cheese and go recreational shooting again?

I'm going recreational shooting. Biden isn't taking our guns away any more than Obama did.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:47 AM

5,236 posts, read 4,705,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I'm going recreational shooting. Biden isn't taking our guns away any more than Obama did.
But, but, uh, uh, WE GOT TO BE SCARED, that's what drives the oh so lucrative "prepper market...."

Old 11-11-2020, 01:36 PM

7,382 posts, read 5,307,392 times
Quote:
They want to, they just know there's no way to carry out their wishes. Who are they gunna hire to come confiscate them?

Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 PM

37,623 posts, read 61,723,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
But, but, uh, uh, WE GOT TO BE SCARED, that's what drives the oh so lucrative "prepper market...."
When I stepped away from targeting nuclear warheads, I refocused on becoming an organic farmer. Now 19 years later our farm is on solar-power, we breed pigs, we produce pork, honey, maple, fiddleheads, apple cider, and a wide selection of herbs.

To me 'prepping' is about producing nearly all of your own needs. So you are no longer reliant on shopping in stores.

I see no reason to be scared.

I prep so I have no reason to be scared. When the power grid goes down [like it has every month for the last 19 years] nothing much changes here on our farm.

I have a hybrid car that I recharge using our household solar-power system, I can get onto I-95 driving at 80 mph and make a trip into town and back home again entirely on electric, so even if the gas stations no longer offer gasoline [like they have done before], it should not have much effect on us.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:10 PM

9,192 posts, read 4,842,846 times
Quote:
So I guess we shouldn't shoot our spare ammo just yet...
Extra Ammo? What the heck is extra ammo?
There are three levels of having enough ammo:
(Four, if you count not prepared.)
1. Got enough, in case I can't get some for a while.
2. Got enough, in case the SHTF, and if it doesn't,
Got enough for a few years of practice, and some hunting and stuff.
3. Got enough ammo, will never need to buy ammo again. Basement looks like the supply room for the local militia, and for the local hunter's gun club. Have inventory on multi page spread sheet, and "will" includes copy of spread sheet so the executor can divvy it up, among next of kin.

The only time you have too much ammo is if you are drowning or on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We all need to understand the consequences of allowing election fraud to take place in this country. ...
If we don't clean up our electoral process, next time it may be the other side that is treated unfairly. Are you sure you really want that to happen?
No. If we don't clean up this mess, the next time will look like elections in Russia, where the Bolsheviks run the elections, count the votes, burn the ballots and declare themselves the winner. (They are basically trying to do this in several places, like Philadelphia, right now.)

Quote:
Good. Go shooting. Helps to keep skills honed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
They want to, they just know there's no way to carry out their wishes. Who are they gunna hire to come confiscate them?
You are right.
Couldn't happen in England, Australia or a host of other places, either.
That is why we can still freely buy short barreled rifles, shotguns, and suppressors, without any extra license or paperwork, and gun dealers don't have to forfeit their 4th amendment rights, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness