Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,101,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
LOVE our Magic Bullet!
Right? One little luxury that can accomplish so much!

Quote:
Why not just use an inverter off the main engine? I have a 1000 watt inverter in my truck. And a couple small 12v panels for charging stuff.
Its an interesting idea. I just worry about it ending up draining my battery and leaving me stranded, or worse, if something shorts out. If something shorts out in the portable system, well, no Magic Bullet and hair dryer for me, lol. The vehicle is fine.

Quote:
I would suggest checking some of the off roading sites regarding the solar systems available and how various options are working for "overlanders." I don't know about running refrigerators off portable solar unless you have a couple of big house batteries and a larger RV size array. I have a couple of those 12V "coolers" but we've used them like twice in 15 years. If the SHTF for real I'm not sure if having a refrigerator in a car is very high priority, for me anyway. I'd probably use mine to carry more ammo!
Good idea regarding checking out an 'overlander' forum.
I think the frig's are stupid, but Im sure some people will feel carrying a large generator just to be able to use a hairdryer is stupid, so - to each his own.

I mean for a weekend of glamping, a frig is cool, but Im going with a Yeti "The Roadie" 24. It will be big enough to hold my items that need cooling, allow a carton of milk to stand upright, and can also be used to protect fresh produce in freezing temperatures. I can get it in a dark color to blend into the Subies black interior.

Im chosing a Subie, primarily for the gas mileage, the underfloor 'garage' space in the back, and the CVT. I know CVTs and any cars can have problems, but you can get 300K miles out of it if you take care of it right.

Same with the CVT, you will be told they never need flushing, but if you use common sense and flush it when its apparent it needs it (particles in the oil, burnt oil, etc.) problems should be minimal. Parts on a few models are interchangeable to use on the Forrester.

Also, if for some reason the lifestyle doesnt turn out to what I have built it up in my mind to be, or I have to settle somewhere due to health issues or something , I am left with a good car, and some great camping gear.

When I started on this journey I wasnt thinking about stealth so much, and I saw the Winnebago Revel. Nice! Except for $178K and half of what its got Im not even interested in, and for a true overland experience, I still need to invest in modifications. Besides, I know of places I can get a brick house with land for $178K, lol. Rediculous!

Anyway, an 'overlander' is appealing. There are some things I will need to learn, etc. They are certainly capable of some amazing stunts. I saw one go over boulders that were bigger than the vehicle was - amazing! I dont plan on doing that though. I think for starting out, a Subie is just fine, and the lack or space will force me to minimalize. Ive already started by weeding out my 5 closets (no lie) of clothes and trying to get them down to just one closet. By the time Im in the Subie, I hope to have that down to 3-5 days of Summer clothes, and 3-5 days of Winter clothes max.

Thanks for your input, Jamies.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 02-02-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness