Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 04:00 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times

Advertisements

I plan on starting my SHTF existence in an SUV or mini-van.

Ive lived this lifestyle before in a pickup truck with a camper shell. The only drawback was you couldnt drive away without getting out of the payload and then getting into the cab of the truck.

An SUV or van-type vehicle means I dont have to exit and re-enter the vehicle to drive away. This is a better situation in a 'middle of the night' emergency.

The only communication available 'on the road' was a CB radio or finding a pay phone. Cell phones didnt exist yet.

Lanterns and stove were pump with Coleman Fuel (cheaper and took up less room) or small Propane bottle (several bottles takes up a lot of room). Biggest issue with these lanterns were/are the mantles that seemed to break when not in use if you looked at them the wrong way. A cooler with regular or dry ice for refrigeration. A small TV, radio, cassette player combo that ran off several D batteries for 'luxury entertainment', and that was it.

As a young couple seeking adventure, my would-be husband and I read to each other a lot. As I recall, Louis L'amour books were among our favorite reads back then. Could pick them up in paperback almost anywhere.

What I want to do now would be sort of like a motorhome, but much more stealthy and simplistic in operation. No bathroom area, no fixed kitchen area, no tanks except the 3 to 5 gallon variety for fresh and gray water, that I can fill/dump at any rest area.

Coolers are amazing now. Expensive, but your ice can last a solid week or more, and bears, raccoons, etc. cant get in them so easy, if they can get into them at all. There are also small refrigerators, like a Dometic CFX series, Alpicool CF55, etc, but I wouldnt start out with that if I didnt need to.

You can have a laptop, cell phone, cameras, drones, entire lighting systems, even air/heat if you can find a way to power it.

Enter the portable solar generator! Awesome! No smell, no noise - only time a problem arises is after several overcast days you cant get your portable solar panels to recharge them. They are self contained. No external inverter fuses etc needed. They come as small as 150W and I ve seen the Goal Zero as large as 6000W.

You can use them to grind your coffee beans/blend your smoothie in your Magic Bullet (pulls 300W) in the morning. You can style your hair in a remote location with an 800W travel dryer and a 1000W solar generator.

I can go on, but what Im wondering is - after watching countless videos, and reading numerous blogs - what is the best set up?

I like the new Jackery 1000 (lithium) with the 2 SagaSolar 100w panels set up. It has good connections that even include 2 new usb-c ports, but I think they are both 18w. Its a good system for my needs starting out. It just charges slowly, and maybe that's okay. Im not sure. Like, I have to be driving 16 hours straight to fully charge it off my vehicle while traveling.

Goal Zero seems to be faster at charging, but takes up more room and costs more. Seems to charge a little faster, and include at least 1 usb-c that inputs at 60w. The corresponding Goal Zero Solar panels are much more bulky and cost more - but the difference in bulk is more of a concern than the elevation in price. I think it only needs 7 hours of straight driving to charge it off my vehicle while traveling. Its a considerable difference, Im just not sure how important a difference in a practice.

Bluetti - I dont remember...at this point Ive looked at so many that they are starting to combine into one, lol.

Ive also been looking at smaller systems for backpacking, and have purchased two Blavor banks - one 10000mah with a built in solar panel and the other 25000mah with one built in and three attached fold out panels, along with an Anker usb-c to usb-c so I can connect them for the fold out to help charge the 10000mah in a pinch. They both have lights. The 10000mah has a nice powerful flashlight. The 25000mah not so great a light, but has Qi technology to charge my future iphone 12 pro max LOL!

Anyway, as you can see, my brain is overwhelmed at this point, and Im looking for suggestions and/or wisdom regarding these systems.

I need at least 1000W system, to power the magic bullet and hair dryer. Maybe I need more and dont realize it, but I keep hearing a 1000W system will charge anything I need it to, considering the small set up.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-30-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 07:11 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
I've experimented with a few "portable solar generators" and my biggest complaint, other than being underwhelming and over priced, is that it's an integrated system such that if one minor component fails the entire system is useless and generally, only the exact same replacement part will fix it. With a DIY system I can change from vastly different charge controllers, battery banks, solar panels etc swapping stuff in and out and it doesn't make a difference. I can move a couple of cables and turn a 12v system into a 24v system if that is the inverter that's available.

The integrated "solar generators" are probably great for camping etc but I wouldn't want one if TSHTF other than as a convenience item that I didn't need to rely on.

Solar power is actually really easy to implement. An hour or two of free online reading would probably turn most people off from one of those integrated single-point-of-failure solutions. Most of them have cheap Chinese lithium ion batteries that will never live to the end of the warranty period if used daily. The warranty on the Kirkland marine battery in my truck expired 8 years ago, and it was used off-and-on over the years in a solar system to run a chest freezer. The truck starts up every turn like the battery was brand new. I've checked the fluid level twice.

Last edited by terracore; 01-30-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 07:46 PM

Thanks Terracore.

That's true but, one pile up on the roadway in a SHTF situation, and everything but my bugout bag and anything else I can carry will be useless. Which I am prepping for that as well.

My issue in all this is space.

I say SUV because I saw a setup in a Subaru Forrester that I want to emulate now. Why? Its all wheel drive, giving me a shot at off roading somewhat - nothing true overland, but still. More importantly, the Forrester gets 33 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg in the city.

Im looking at other small vehicles like the Promaster City van by Dodge, new Bronco, etc, but none seem to compare to the Forrester when it comes to some combination of AWD, ground clearance or gas mileage. It also is actually stealthy to a degree - believe it or not! I hope to be using it, whether the SHTF or not within the next year or so. My first thought for a vehicle was a Dodge Grand Caravan. The reasoning behind that idea was the junkyards are full of them, so parts would be easier to find. However, it doesnt get the gas milage, or have much ground clearance, and is not AWD for 4WD as far as Im aware.

Everything I need to stay alive needs to fit in the vehicle. I wont have space for a traditional solar set up.
Everything needs to be moveable so I can reconfigure my use of space at any given time. The solar system needs to be compact and portable, both because of space, and also practicality. As an example, if I park in shade, I can set the panels away from the shade to collect sun.

Jackery and Goal Zero claim to be made in the USA. Whether that means all their components are or not, I have no idea.

I know of at least 1 couple (not personally) that is out there in the backcountry full time, using the Goal Zero system, and so far it has held up for 4 years.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-30-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 01:36 AM

261 posts, read 189,526 times
I'm still studying these satchel solar array's myself. But I'm not living full time on the road or prepping at this point. But I have considered building a "bug out car" out of a Chevy Malibu Maxx where all of the seating except the drivers would be removed and the floor space leveled with plywood and boards so I could have a twin size mat in it to sleep on and storage space for the basics.

The idea of fold up self contained solar that could power a high efficiency circulation fan appeals to me. With the panels set out in the sun and the car parked in the shade, connected by extension cord, I could sleep in the day and travel in the cool of the night.

My concerns are more for a small SHTF event in my locality where I could get out of Dodge asap to safer
surroundings. Here where I live it may be floods or forest fires.

I've looked in on this message board to learn more about solar & batteries.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...lay.php?fid=18

Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Would you consider 'mounting' photovoltaic panels on the roof of your SUV?

I have seen a few threads about the idea of backpacking with solar panels, but they are huge and bulky. I find it hard for me to imagine carrying solar panels anywhere.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:59 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Bob Wells of the CheapRVLiving YouTube channel is on the road 24/7/365 in his van, as a "nomad". He does interviews of other nomads living in everything from mini vans to box trucks to Class Bs, and every interview shows the power setup, as well as other cool gear that these people have discovered. Bob also does reviews of new gear on the market, and often it includes solar setups, refrigeration, etc.

His channel is a great way to keep up with the newest available gear for mobile living.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Would you consider 'mounting' photovoltaic panels on the roof of your SUV?

I have seen a few threads about the idea of backpacking with solar panels, but they are huge and bulky. I find it hard for me to imagine carrying solar panels anywhere.
Yeah, I have a backpack model that gives 25000mah. You clip the power bank on your backpack, allowing the attached panels to hang down, and either walk away from the sun, or maneuver the device to hang from your neck as you hike toward the sun. Its small and lightweight, but I still dont see it as very practical unless you are hiking on well manicured trails. Of course, if you have established a camp, you put it where it will be most effective while you are not using it.

I also have a 10000mah (milli amp hour) with a built in panel. Both of them trickle charge. They are connectable with a usb-c to usb-c connector. A lot of new devices and phones have the new usb-c port, so if your phone uses usb-c then that is something you want to see on your powerbank.

I will give you I wont personally be getting very far carrying a large portable generator and a couple of 100W panels, but I can handle the weight of the smaller systems, which I would basically use to charge carry able/packable devices like a cell phone, maybe an ipad or ipad mini, possibly a gopro camera. If Im backpacking, or bugging out - the larger setup will be staying with the vehicle. Just like most of my bedding, and the Coleman Triton stove and its fuel, because lighter is better when packing things around.

As for mounting a panel on my vehicle's roof -

1.) It's not very low-profile to do that. Security at Walmart or at any motel will guess right away that someone is living in 'that' vehicle. Im sure we could think of a few reasons why a car might randomly have solar panels afixed to the roof that have nothing to do with living in the car, but most people 'in the know' are going to assume someone is living in it regardless of any creative reasoning we can come up with to the contrary.

Interestingly enough, Ive seen instances where Walmart security will allow the big rigs to camp overnight, but will chase away anyone in vans or smaller. You can also stealth camp in numerous other areas, but the panels will be a red flag for many.

2.) You cant take advantage of parking in any shade in warmer weather, or for cover. It will be necessary to park in the open, and in full sun if you put a panel on the roof. This goes for any setup - even large motorcoaches. That's not an issue if you arent interested in cover and keep yourself to higher and cooler elevations.

3.) Some people dont like the idea of putting more holes in their roof. My prefered vehicle will have a panoramic sun roof with a rack and Thule cargo box over it. I dont mind that because it allows ventilation that doesnt involve regular windows, and the stuff over it makes breaking into it not so easy. But, there wont be room for a panel, even if the other reasons didnt hold me back.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
I'm still studying these satchel solar array's myself. But I'm not living full time on the road or prepping at this point. But I have considered building a "bug out car" out of a Chevy Malibu Maxx where all of the seating except the drivers would be removed and the floor space leveled with plywood and boards so I could have a twin size mat in it to sleep on and storage space for the basics.

The idea of fold up self contained solar that could power a high efficiency circulation fan appeals to me. With the panels set out in the sun and the car parked in the shade, connected by extension cord, I could sleep in the day and travel in the cool of the night.

My concerns are more for a small SHTF event in my locality where I could get out of Dodge asap to safer
surroundings. Here where I live it may be floods or forest fires.

I've looked in on this message board to learn more about solar & batteries.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums...lay.php?fid=18
Hi Joe!

That's me! Something goes wrong in the place Im in, hopefully it will be a quick and easy move to a more peaceful place. Even if its something as simple as I dont like the weather, or my camping neighbor - just start the car and go!

I am aware of Bob Wells and CheapRVLiving. Ive watched numerous videos. The guy does great work and helps a lot of people. Until tonight, I never specifically searched CheapRVLiving with Jackery, and Im glad I did.

I learned that all their power systems are warranted for two years. I know from previously looking at them online, I think some retailers sell them with an extended warranty option. 4 years for $179. That is one extended warranty that is worth every penny. One way or the other, you will get 6 years (original 2 from manufacturer + 4 from seller) out of your investment. Of course, you may have high shipping fees, but on a 1000x model, it would be worth shipping.

I also learned that flexible panels (like would be attached to a rounded/sloped camper roof) have a lot of problems because they are too flexible and break if you try to use them any other way but permanently mounted.

I wont be doing a build at all though. Im using a trifold twin mattress that will allow me to put the seat back up during the day, and will fit under the cargo cover to be hidden from prying eyes during the day. Its also less weight added to the vehicle. And for the vehicle I want to use it would make the built in 'garage' in the bed of the car in back inaccessible, which would cause me to lose valuable storage space. On a vehicle like the Dodge Caravan though, a build is probably the way to go. The Caravan has 'stow and go' seats, which would greatly increase storage when the seats are removed. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-31-2021 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Bob Wells of the CheapRVLiving YouTube channel is on the road 24/7/365 in his van, as a "nomad". He does interviews of other nomads living in everything from mini vans to box trucks to Class Bs, and every interview shows the power setup, as well as other cool gear that these people have discovered. Bob also does reviews of new gear on the market, and often it includes solar setups, refrigeration, etc.

His channel is a great way to keep up with the newest available gear for mobile living.
Thank you for the info, Nor'Eastah!

This post gave me the idea to search 'CheapRVLiving/Jackery' and I learned about the limited time frame the manufacturer warrants them for - 2 years. Which made the extended retailer warrantees suddenly make sense, lol. These Plug n' Play systems are convenient, easy to manage in a small space, but they are expensive in comparison to the traditional solar setups.

Bob makes a good case for not needing a system at all, showing me I already have powering the most important things covered with the mah powerbanks I already have - but I really want my Magic Bullet and Hair Dryer, lol. Ive also found a 59W electric mattress pad that I will want to use in cold weather. I like the idea of the pad over a Mr Heater or something.

I can reserve using the hair dryer until I find a lockable restroom with a power outlet, but I still need at least 300W for the Magic Bullet. 300W might also be enough for the mattress pad if I can get away with cycling the heat intermittently during the night.

Bob makes a good case for being able to do the hair dryer cheaper than using one of these portable systems.
I dont necessarily agree with that though. This is because of the sine wave inverter, and the numerous other connections that will be needed, and more importantly, kept up with...literally, "Okay, where has the 12V adapter gone!"

He has shown me that I can save money on the panels. Im not sure I will let a hundred or so dollars make me switch off to another brand, but for someone who needs to manage every dollar to the maximum, its a good thing to know.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 01-31-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 03:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
LOVE our Magic Bullet! Why not just use an inverter off the main engine? I have a 1000 watt inverter in my truck. And a couple small 12v panels for charging stuff.

I would suggest checking some of the off roading sites regarding the solar systems available and how various options are working for "overlanders." I don't know about running refrigerators off portable solar unless you have a couple of big house batteries and a larger RV size array. I have a couple of those 12V "coolers" but we've used them like twice in 15 years. If the SHTF for real I'm not sure if having a refrigerator in a car is very high priority, for me anyway. I'd probably use mine to carry more ammo!

Regarding vehicles, personally for what you are considering I wouldn't choose a Subaru, or any other "car." Space is a premium in the smaller suvs and those TV ads showing the Outback conquering the "outback" are pure made for TV fiction.

Another issue is Subies, etc. are 100,000 mile cars. Rav4s are 200,000 mile cars. Ford trucks are 2-300,000 mile trucks. And CJ, XJ, YJ, and TJ Jeeps with the 4.0 L in-line six are 3-400,000 mile vehicles. But the gas mileage does suck. Subies and other AWD cars are not robust enough or high enough for more than graded dirt roads and paved highways with (a little) snow. The AWD systems use brakes and the CPU to simulate lockers, instead of real locking differentials. Driving down a regular road in a few inches of snow or light ice, they are great and the computer can compensate for slipping. But you get into heavy conditions, or things like tires in the air, you need traditional 4WD with geared lockers and selectable transfer cases so you control what is slipping or not.

Also important, Jeeps, Toyotas and Ford trucks you can fix most stuff with some choice curse words and a hammer. And parts are readily available. Off road you need a solid axel (not independent suspension) and a body on frame (not unibody) construction. Also lockers and the ability to articulate the suspension.

Depending on your price point I'd look into something like an XJ Jeep (Cherokee from the mid 90's). You can buy them for around $3,500 with under 140K miles and spend from there. $15K would build a pretty awesome rig with a roof-top tent, etc. I have a friend who bought a new Ford Econoline 350 van, put 4wd axels and transfer case under it (for about 10 grand) and built an amazing overlander. I'd guess he has around $80 grand into it. But he has the ultimate "go anywhere" overland SHTF/stealth camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness