Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 12:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The hand writing has been on the wall for some time. There are going to be shortages. I won't have much compassion for people who have ignored or discounted that fact.

Anyone who has ignored the signs and warnings and haven't stocked up is the proverbial ant who played all summer while the grasshopper worked to set food aside for the winter.
Absolutely. I'm tired of friends and family members who smirk and laugh at us, while refusing to prepare for lean times. They say, "I'll just come to your house if the SHTF."

They think it's funny.
The problem is, they're not joking. They will come here expecting to be fed and cared for -- just like in that Twilight Zone episode, they'll believe they're entitled.

Hubby and I are in a small mobile home where there isn't much space for food storage, but we do our best. Those with the big houses, attics, garages and basements need to make their own survival pantries. We could survive for several months on what we've stored up. Even a bag of white rice with be a treasure if there's nothing else to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 01:44 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,188,359 times
Paranoia and bad dreams should be dealt with first, to reach some semblance of reality. Then see if there's anything left to ponder or worry about.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:52 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Paranoia and bad dreams should be dealt with first, to reach some semblance of reality. Then see if there's anything left to ponder or worry about.
Unless preppers “collect” skills in addition to supplies, no matter how much one could stash in advance - it won’t preserve life for long as it won’t be enough no matter what.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:59 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,188,359 times
Or, you could just come to reality and see that these fears are unfounded, and you've wasted vast amounts of time and money on something that will never arrive.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:08 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I forgot about what exactly but my adult children and I were talking about poverty last week.
I told them: "I can't help the world. I can only help the children I gave birth to."
We all have limits.
Even the Bible, if you read what it actually says, doesn't tell us to feed all of the poor. It has specific groups that it tells us to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Can you say soylent green. Lol
But yes... if they pass the test, I'll share what I can/have and send them on their way.
The movie, oddly enough, was set in 2022.

If they get to my door, I will trade food for labor.
And there are specific people, here, that I intend to help.
Very specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Absolutely. I'm tired of friends and family members who smirk and laugh at us, while refusing to prepare for lean times. They say, "I'll just come to your house if the SHTF."

They think it's funny.
Let them know, you are willing to shoot them.
Then let them know, you think that is funny.

BTW.
Were you my neighbor, you might be part of that "specific people. "

Old 05-03-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Even the Bible, if you read what it actually says, doesn't tell us to feed all of the poor. It has specific groups that it tells us to help.

The movie, oddly enough, was set in 2022.

If they get to my door, I will trade food for labor.
And there are specific people, here, that I intend to help.
Very specific.

Let them know, you are willing to shoot them.
Then let them know, you think that is funny.

BTW.
Were you my neighbor, you might be part of that "specific people. "
If someone came to my door with only a basket of pine needles (for making tea)... or the inner bark striped from a tree (for roasting).... or a mess of dandelions and clover.... something.... anything.... even an armful of firewood.... then I would help them out. Any sincere offer of "I'll work for food" would bring the same results, if, of course, I had something to share.

Anyone else need not even apply, especially the mockers and scoffers who feel entitled. Nope. Move on and out.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:05 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,444,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When SHTF, if women and children knock on your door asking for food, will you give some to them?

Give them gift certificates to McDonalds. Not the greatest food on earth, but as my mother used to say, it will keep body and soul together.

And they don't have enough cash values to sell. And they can't be used for alcohol since McDs has none.

And if the beggars were looking for something they could turn into money (for drugs?) or alcohol, they WON'T be back. For the most part, only the genuinely needy might return for more.
In the scenario I was picturing , there would be no open restaurants. McDonald's would of been looted and closed a long time ago. People might have SOME money, but nobody to buy food from. It is this scenario that would probably be very, very harsh on humanity, and unless they have something to share back, sharing with strangers will be too much of a risk, for different reasons.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:19 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Give them gift certificates to McDonalds. Not the greatest food on earth, but as my mother used to say, it will keep body and soul together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
In the scenario I was picturing , there would be no open restaurants. McDonald's would of been looted and closed a long time ago. People might have SOME money, but nobody to buy food from. It is this scenario that would probably be very, very harsh on humanity, and unless they have something to share back, sharing with strangers will be too much of a risk, for different reasons.
You are picturing quite accurately.
The other poster reminds me of something I recently discovered.

When I was in school, I used to wonder why other students would have such a hard time answering "story problems." It wasn't until I got on the forums, I figured out why: because they don't actually read and understand the problem. They just skim it and start writing an answer.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I pictured the same --- absolute and utter devastation that won't end soon, if at all.
No stores.
No food.
No government.
No police, fire, ambulance.
No electricity or refrigeration.

Some people can't even imagine this nightmare happening in their country, so they deny the possibility.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
Civilization has been through this before. Historians refer to the period as "The Dark Ages".

"It's different this time." Yes, it is, the humans living in "Rome" now have no idea how to take care of themselves.

Our society will collapse and the poorest people on the planet who already live a subsistence lifestyle won't notice much of a change until the survivors from the cities show up.

Somebody once said that survival is the intersection between knowledge and necessity. Nobody is going to survive Dark Ages 2 by buying a case of Chef Boyardee and Dasani. It took us 10 years to learn the skills to live off our land, and that was with easy access to knowledge from the internet and a community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness