Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 01:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,526,569 times

Advertisements

what I dont understand is Egypt,they are imposing price control on their cheapest pita bread for poor people.
Egypt and Turkey import a lot of grain
I thought back in ancient time,Roman relied on Egyptians to supply grain ,but Egypt land is not that fertile ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 01:36 PM

460 posts, read 311,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
what I dont understand is Egypt,they are imposing price control on their cheapest pita bread for poor people.
Egypt and Turkey import a lot of grain
I thought back in ancient time,Roman relied on Egyptians to supply grain ,but Egypt land is not that fertile ?
Most Roman grain came from Carthage, what is now Libya. Egypt was fertile in part to the annual flooding of the Nile, but the Aswan dam stopped that and so there is no annual flooding providing nutrients to the soil anymore, and because most of the soil in Egypt is just sand or silt, not a lot of nutrients without the fresh influx from upriver, and, the climate back then was a lot different than now. There was more rainfall in Egypt in classical times.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
there are other ways to thicken your soup,ever heard of a disease on Guam called Latica Bodig??
Sure, corn starch for one, but not sure what that has to do with Latica Bodig?

Lytico-Bodig is a neurodegenerative disease. Neurodegeneration is an umbrella term for any condition that results in the progressive loss in the structure or function of the neurons or nerve cells. Diseases like ALS, PD and Alzheimer’s affect nerve cells in the brain. Although lytico-bodig are worded together, they actually represent two different diseases. The term “lytico” comes from the Spanish word paralytico which means weakness. “Bodig” comes from the Spanish word bodega, or warehouse.

https://www.guampedia.com/lytico-bodig-on-guam/

If you're trying to tie in the false palm use, that's been disproven.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:38 PM

thanks,good to know.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Sure, corn starch for one, but not sure what that has to do with Latica Bodig?

Lytico-Bodig is a neurodegenerative disease. Neurodegeneration is an umbrella term for any condition that results in the progressive loss in the structure or function of the neurons or nerve cells. Diseases like ALS, PD and Alzheimer’s affect nerve cells in the brain. Although lytico-bodig are worded together, they actually represent two different diseases. The term “lytico” comes from the Spanish word paralytico which means weakness. “Bodig” comes from the Spanish word bodega, or warehouse.

https://www.guampedia.com/lytico-bodig-on-guam/

If you're trying to tie in the false palm use, that's been disproven.
if it is not from the SAGA Palm seeds,what causes the disease?,

Old 05-28-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
if it is not from the SAGA Palm seeds,what causes the disease?,
Per the article I linked, they have no idea.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:44 PM

corn starch,coconut juice,rice,potato,tapioca can all be used to thicken the soup.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:45 PM

9,035 posts, read 4,729,459 times
Quote:
Figure grain to be harder to get. There's major drought across a lot of the west, so crops are down. The amount of tilled acreage is down in part due to fuel prices, and also, the Ukraine and Russia are 2 of the major producers of nitrates for fertilizer. The cost of fertilizer is through the roof.

Combine that with the loss of Ukraine as a major grain producer, there will be shortages worldwide. Even India which is a major producer of wheat is stopping exports because of drought and the fear their people won't produce enough to meet domestic demand.

Grain is the first food item I'd look at for shortages.
I concur.

I think we will see some shortages of wheat products (like pasta) by Christmas. Right now, the stores are stocked, but once in a while run short because of transportation issues. After Christmas, the story might read differently.

I think corn will be next, within a few weeks after wheat products, as people alter their diet to deal with the wheat shortage.

Then rice will run short, as people who can't get wheat or corn will switch to rice.

I don't think these will be severe in the US, just higher prices(could be double what they were last year). That is, unless someone gets stupid, and tries price controls. Then we will have huge shortages. But in other countries, from China to Spain, the shortages will be life threatening.

Quote:
Second, because of the avian flu, millions of chickens have been killed and buried. So look for shortages of chicken and eggs.

Due to drought there's been a shortage of feed for livestock, in my state, many ranchers have sold down their cattle herds because there's no pasture or hay. That means fewer beeves going to market, meaning less supply.

Is that what you were looking for?
Beef and pork will skyrocket in price, possibly more than 50% rise. Shortages will be short lived, as higher prices will cut demand and people will find something else to eat.

I think we will recover from avian flu quite quickly. We have been down this road before, and the system is designed to recover within weeks. Prices, are quite different, however, since feed will double, cost will double. Prices will double.

The real danger is moving towards a food system oligarchy (which is what they had in the movie Soylent Green). Then we find out what Kissinger meant by: “Control oil and you control nations; control food and you control the people.” (People keep telling me that Ukraine isn't important. The just can't understand...)

Old 05-28-2022, 02:16 PM

10,369 posts, read 6,923,101 times
Quote:

That reminds me, California is having a major drought, so don't look for an endless supply of wine either.
We'll have a bumper crop of "dry" wines....

Seriously, California supplies a hell of a lot more than just "wine."

Old 05-28-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
We'll have a bumper crop of "dry" wines....

Seriously, California supplies a hell of a lot more than just "wine."
True, but marijuana is legal in many states now so....

I'm well aware of California agriculture, however, the post I was referencing mentioned wine specifically, not olives or avocados or walnuts, and California is a major wine producing state and is suffering from drouths, so I simply informed them of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness