Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:24 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,584,531 times

Advertisements

Have some Pri-G on hand in case it goes bad, it'll make bad gasoline about as good as new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 PM

539 posts, read 2,107,817 times
I've been voicing my concerns about the Peak Oil Crisis and Global Warming for years, with little or no concern shown by others. I personally believe that conserving energy at this point is just a little too little, a little to late. Instead of the general population going towards the "green" way of life I see more and more gas guzzlers on the road each day. The Hummers and the like. It infuriates me. Of course the gas guzzling SUVs are just one little example of the destruction of our natural resources. I agree with the survivalists who are preparing for the inevitable.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:32 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,596,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, the fuel is being "rotated" - and, it stored 100's of yards away from anything, in a well ventilated and weather proof storage area.

We have propane now - a 2000 gal tank
Now that's a "tank" of propane! So I take it that your generator runs on gasoline or propane? If so, that gives you at least two choice of fuels for the generator and I'm presuming that the propane would be used for other proposes other than to power the generator?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,596,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I've been voicing my concerns about the Peak Oil Crisis and Global Warming for years, with little or no concern shown by others. I personally believe that conserving energy at this point is just a little too little, a little to late. Instead of the general population going towards the "green" way of life I see more and more gas guzzlers on the road each day. The Hummers and the like. It infuriates me. Of course the gas guzzling SUVs are just one little example of the destruction of our natural resources. I agree with the survivalists who are preparing for the inevitable.
Your concerns are well founded, but I believe that the pendulum is beginning to slow down and swing back to a period of realization that petroleum based energy sources are a "bridge to nowhere" and that peak petroleum is just around the corner with dire consequences for industrialized countries.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,277,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Folks, there is lots of oil in the ground. Lots of it. Many estimates say that since we began burning oil, only 1/3 of it has been burned. Of course, that 2/3 that is left is harder and more expensive to get at.

What we really need as a society is a two-pronged approach to the problem. The first focuses on stemming demand. Not through regulation, not through taxes, but through the end of government subsidies for the lifestyle built on cars. Make drivers pay the true cost of driving -- sell the roads to private companies, stop building new roads to suburban sprawl, etc. Do it gradually so as not to cause chaos. Stop subsidizing utilities expansion to the suburbs. Make developers and homeowners fully pay the cost of living that lifestyle.

On the supply side, we need to allow oil companies to drill for more oil in America or anywhere else that's politically stable.

If you remove the government subsidized lifestyle and allow more supply to be brought to the market, oil most likely be cheaper and last longer.

Doomsday will not take place if the government gradually removes itself from the equation.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:47 PM

539 posts, read 2,107,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Your concerns are well founded, but I believe that the pendulum is beginning to slow down and swing back to a period of realization that petroleum based energy sources are a "bridge to nowhere" and that peak petroleum is just around the corner with dire consequences for industrialized countries.
I sure hope your right.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:31 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,349,053 times
Quote:
Now that's a "tank" of propane! So I take it that your generator runs on gasoline or propane? If so, that gives you at least two choice of fuels for the generator and I'm presuming that the propane would be used for other proposes other than to power the generator?
No - gas. And, it is merely a backup - the battery storage capacity should last (have not tried it yet) about 3 / 4 days with some conservation

We have a lot of ... "fire" features around the pool and the entrance to our home. We also have multiple fireplaces inside the home and an outdoor kitchen that is getting very well used for the first time -

Old 05-24-2008, 11:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,822,764 times
Quote:
Perhaps these "survivalists" are ahead of their time? A panicked response or a proper response to a future world where energy sources will be more valuable than gold? I'm placing my bet on a proper response to a global energy crunch that will affect the quality of life in all developed parts of the world.

Energy fears looming, new survivalists prepare - Yahoo! News (broken link)
WV blogger pointed out to me that amish will not feel any of this- let wisdom prevail.

Let's do better than root for proper response. Lets make sure oil interests don't get to vote on us switching off the oil to alternatives.
If they wake up themselves, they'll drive the technology.
If not, someone else will. !

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 AM

23,824 posts, read 24,201,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
WV blogger pointed out to me that amish will not feel any of this
They will when hordes of starving city dwellers come knocking on their doors...

Anyone heard of the book "The Population Bomb" that was written in the '60s by a guy named Ehrlich? He also wrote a book called "The Population Explosion" in the '90s. Both books had dire warnings and predictions about how the planet would be unable to sustain the global population in the near future. That future has come and gone - and we're still here.

The oil hype has very much the same feel. Yes, it will get more expensive and adjustments will be made, but we will not see the type of doomsday scenario that these folks are preparing for.

The one thing that everyone seems to either forget or just plain doesn't know is that pretty much anything that can be made from petroleum can also be synthesized in other ways. From motor oil to plastic bags, we can make all this stuff from other things, and the alternative product is often superior to the oil based product (e.g. Mobil One vs. Pennzoil).

I just don't see it getting all that bad. Certainly not as bad as those that are the subject of this thread think it will be.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:20 AM

358 posts, read 519,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, Kerosene is not readily available in this neck of the woods - at least not in large quanities.

Our heat for the home is electric - and, as I mentioned, we get our electricity from solar.

But, thanks for the suggestions - made me think!!!

ask as many questions as you want, I have been living off grid for almost 14 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness