Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,597,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BUSKIRK, N.Y. - A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.
Perhaps these "survivalists" are ahead of their time? A panicked response or a proper response to a future world where energy sources will be more valuable than gold? I'm placing my bet on a proper response to a global energy crunch that will affect the quality of life in all developed parts of the world.

Energy fears looming, new survivalists prepare - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM

358 posts, read 519,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Perhaps these "survivalists" are ahead of their time? A panicked response or a proper response to a future world where energy sources will be more valuable than gold? I'm placing my bet on a proper response to a global energy crunch that will affect the quality of life in all developed parts of the world.

Energy fears looming, new survivalists prepare - Yahoo! News (broken link)
that is a nice little story, but she could do better by moving out west, buying a msall ranch or farm, learning to defend herself, can foods and take care of herself without the fedgov being around to help her. time will tell if she can do for herself, rather than rely on herself.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
that is a nice little story, but she could do better by moving out west, buying a msall ranch or farm, learning to defend herself, can foods and take care of herself without the fedgov being around to help her. time will tell if she can do for herself, rather than rely on herself.
Perhaps this particular person does mot have the necessary financial resources to move from her present location? There are many survivalists living in the western states, particularly Montana and Wyoming. As the story suggest, in the future, survivalists will band together to form survivalist communities or enclaves which will be self sufficient and independent of outside resources. I'm always amazed how futurism and science fiction morphs into reality!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,659,498 times
Default Me too!

I too have been storing goods and medical supplies for the last few years. I know I don't have nearly enough to care for my family for long. But any preparation for possible future events is good. I don't know where we are heading but it doesn't look promising. So, I am not saying you should go out and build a bomb shelter under the ground, but putting away some foodstuffs and water and some medicines and clothing might not be a bad idea. And a good shotgun may come in handy as well. For hunting, of course!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:02 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,364,572 times
We are lucky in that we have a large, remote, property. Not really in response to the "gloom and doom" types, we did however build a totally solar powered home. No outside electricty lines whatsoever come to our property. We are storing fuel (gasoline) in a remote area of the property and already have several hundred gallons.

This was initially started because of generator backups in the event the solar fails or, a long period of sunless days. But, inasmuch as some are expressing certain concerns, we might increase our storage capacity - "just in case"

And while we had not really considered storing food stuffs, that probably is not a bad idea - I'll have to really look into it -

Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are lucky in that we have a large, remote, property. Not really in response to the "gloom and doom" types, we did however build a totally solar powered home. No outside electricty lines whatsoever come to our property. We are storing fuel (gasoline) in a remote area of the property and already have several hundred gallons.

This was initially started because of generator backups in the event the solar fails or, a long period of sunless days. But, inasmuch as some are expressing certain concerns, we might increase our storage capacity - "just in case"

And while we had not really considered storing food stuffs, that probably is not a bad idea - I'll have to really look into it -
Storing gasoline in large quantities might not be a good idea. In addition to the flammability of gasoline liquid and vapors, gas gets "stale" and forms gums and other corrosive compounds in storage. You may want to consider switching to a diesel generator that can run as a "multi-fuel" engine on a variety of petroleum and non-petroleum based fuels, as gasoline engines only run on gasoline, LNG or propane, all petroleum based and flammable to store and burn as fuel. Alcohol or ethanol is not a good emergency fuel as it is very corrosive to metals and non-metals and is very hygroscopic, that is, very readily absorbs water. Also, storing gasoil or fuel oil does not have the flammability hazards of gasoline, LNG or propane.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Storing gasoline in large quantities might not be a good idea. In addition to the flammability of gasoline liquid and vapors, gas gets "stale" and forms gums and other corrosive compounds in storage. You may want to consider switching to a diesel generator that can run as a "multi-fuel" engine on a variety of petroleum and non-petroleum based fuels, as gasoline engines only run on gasoline, LNG or propane, all petroleum based and flammable to store and burn as fuel. Alcohol or ethanol is not a good emergency fuel as it is very corrosive to metals and non-metals and is very hygroscopic, that is, very readily absorbs water. Also, storing gasoil or fuel oil does not have the flammability hazards of gasoline, LNG or propane.
Actually, the fuel is being "rotated" - and, it stored 100's of yards away from anything, in a well ventilated and weather proof storage area.

We have propane now - a 2000 gal tank

Old 05-24-2008, 03:54 PM

358 posts, read 519,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, the fuel is being "rotated" - and, it stored 100's of yards away from anything, in a well ventilated and weather proof storage area.

We have propane now - a 2000 gal tank

you might also look at kerosene as well, and it can be used for other things other than heating.
diesel is a good choice because it has a high flame point and a long life as well.
just make sure any fuel you do store has something like sta-bil in it for storage.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
you might also look at kerosene as well, and it can be used for other things other than heating.
diesel is a good choice because it has a high flame point and a long life as well.
just make sure any fuel you do store has something like sta-bil in it for storage.
Actually, Kerosene is not readily available in this neck of the woods - at least not in large quanities.

Our heat for the home is electric - and, as I mentioned, we get our electricity from solar.

But, thanks for the suggestions - made me think!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:23 PM

413 posts, read 784,515 times
Never mind but you guys better build atomic bunkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness