Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,706,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My wife got us involved with a group that has meetings about how to handle large emergencies.
We discuss food/water storage, handling emergency situations and have classes on first aid.
It’s a local group made up of some of our neighbors in a rural community.

I’m actually surprised that this subject interested my wife.
Me? I do like the idea of being prepared and being able to self sustainable for a long period.
I do feel that this is important because supplies will not be coming for a long while in a big emergency where we live.

However that being said,
I’m just not totally on board and I am not drinking their Cool Aid.
These people always mention the 50’ tall tsunami that will devastate our area.
This is brought up near every meeting and sometimes they even talk about mass burials.
Ewe ewe ewe just frickin ewe.
Why even talk about that when there are numerous tractors in the group?

I like and appreciate a decent portion of what we discuss it’s just sometimes they seem to go off the deep end.
I have had first responder training since I was a Boy Scout and been in training groups a good half dozen times in my life.

Recently I had additional first aid training for work and found out that a defibrillator with easy to follow voice instructions cost only $460 on Amazon.
I mentioned to the group that I’m thinking of buying one and they all said it cost too much and basically thought I was a nut.
When I asked what was more likely to happen one of us having a heart attack or a big emergency.
Believe it or not I heard it won’t help when that 50’ wave comes in.

So I’m kinda getting to feel like Groucho Marx.
You know, any club that wants me as a member just ain’t worth joining or something like that.
Do you live near thew Oregon coast.LOL Been vacationing in Newport since the mid 80s and strangely that is a big topic there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,105,596 times
We had to use one of those talking defibrillators at work 3 years ago.
None of us were trained on it and yet we saved our co-workers life when he had a heart attack.
I think $460 or there abouts is a great price and might just spend the money on it.

Our area is a waterfront community in the far northern end of the Olympic Peninsula in the PNW about 100 miles from the ocean.

I’ve seen the Fukushima tsunami hit California and we had 2-4 foot waves so that doesn’t have me up at night.
I’ve lived through the Loma Prietta and I can see something like that as a strong possibility giving us a supply stoppage.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:40 PM

1,811 posts, read 911,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
There is no amount of preparation that will be enough for anyone planning to STAY in North America. How much good was it to dig a bunker in your backyard if you lived in Moscow in 1915? Or if you were a Jew living in Europe in 1931? We're in for some hellish times this century most likely. And no matter what happens, we're probably going to have a revolution or another civil war and come out of it all with a different form of government. America as we knew it is in the sunset years. I'm convinced there is nothing on the horizon showing any promise of renewal or redeemption.

The best solution is the one that millions of people have taken over the centuries past - including those who came here when it was far and away worth the risk and trouble.

Emigrate. Preferably to the South Seas area.
Not the South Seas. Southeast Alaska is where you’d have the best chances.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:47 PM

7,420 posts, read 4,201,860 times
Quote:
There is no amount of preparation that will be enough for anyone planning to STAY in North America. How much good was it to dig a bunker in your backyard if you lived in Moscow in 1915? Or if you were a Jew living in Europe in 1931? We're in for some hellish times this century most likely. And no matter what happens, we're probably going to have a revolution or another civil war and come out of it all with a different form of government. America as we knew it is in the sunset years. I'm convinced there is nothing on the horizon showing any promise of renewal or redeemption.

The best solution is the one that millions of people have taken over the centuries past - including those who came here when it was far and away worth the risk and trouble.
My thought exactly.

We already have our passports.

I've have some of the immigration records from the USCIS Genealogy Service. It's a two step process of first paying $65 for the file number and a second $65 for a copy of the file number's immigration record. A first request for an immigration record was mark "no record found." The second immigration record request found the record! Yeah, but it costed $195 for one record!

It has taken a couple of years to collect birth, marriage, death certificates for my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, in-laws and grandparent in-laws. Florida was so fast in sending documents. New York is so behind that's not will not accept new document requests now.

I'm in the processing of obtaining an Apostille for each document. It's issued by the Secretary of State in the state the document was issued in. It's required for the document to will be accepted by foreign countries who are members of the Hague Apostille Convention.

I started this time-consuming and expensive process five years ago and I'm not done yet. These documents are needed for citizenship applications aboard.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but I'm not hopeful. I feel we'll need to move a friendly place.

Over the last week, there have been swatting threats to multiple high schools in MA, NJ, Utah & PA including my daughter's high school. She had her students stack their chairs against the door and hid her students. She kept her sobbing students quiet for nearly an hour. She evacuated her students while reminding them keeping their hand raised above their heads surrounded by swat teams in full military gear with helicopters buzzing overhead. Even if the call was fake, the terror was real.

My family talked about who would have the technology to issue these type of threats. Well, I have no doubt it was Antifa. The terror was no different than the rioters out on the streets, breaking store windows and firebombing police cars. The MA high schools were Algonquin Regional, Framingham, Franklin, Hudson, Medway and Milford high schools - places with $700,000 and over housing prices. These swatting calls were not for poor towns - just wealthier ones. And, the calls came days after that terrible shooting in Nashville.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:29 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,259,563 times
Quote:
Emigrate. Preferably to the South Seas area.
Undoubtedly, a nomadic lifestyle has a lot going for it. Hunter-gatherers sustained themselves after their parent culture collapsed (for whatever reason).
Unfortunately, such a lifestyle requires a large amount of territory.

And migration to the South Pacific has romantic allure. But from accounts of full time boaters, the out of the way islands are primitive, and not conducive to a long lifespan. No one to deliver from Amazon...
. . . .
A possible compromise is to find others to pool resources, and establish a cooperative community, preferably within a walled / fortified perimeter... to discourage opportunistic predators.
[I prefer the dual ring village, inspired in part by the Hakka Tulou "earthen fortresses."]
. .. .
A village of 300-400 charter subscribers should be able to ante up $5k ($1.5+ mil), and acquire a chunk of land (large enough to fit a 14-20 acre "round" inside). Build the outer barrier wall from rammed earth (2m / 6 ft thick), to provide disaster resistance to flying debris, high winds, flash floods, mud slides, storm surge, earthquakes, snow drifts, ash fall, gamma rays ("sky shine"?), forest fires, vermin, climate extremes, etc, etc. Then construct the ring buildings inside. End result : outer ring, ring road (main street), inner ring, and central park.
. . . .
The biggest obstacle is finding 299 other people who would share your basic philosophy and goal set.
THAT, and not financing, is the sticking point.
. . . .
The idea of building a cooperative village is not too popular. Even the ultra rich don't bother with such things, today. Ironically, 250 years ago, it was quite different, and folks did invest in building towns (and having the towns named after themselves). Don't know why, but survivalists tend to be loners and too ornery to want neighbors.
. . . .
IMHO, family, friends and neighbors are an essential survival element, when "stuff" hits the fan. Slowly dying, alone and suffering, is too horrible to contemplate.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:57 AM

9,047 posts, read 4,744,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Do you live near thew Oregon coast.LOL Been vacationing in Newport since the mid 80s and strangely that is a big topic there.
Not that strange, considering what the Cascadia subduction zone could do.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Not that strange, considering what the Cascadia subduction zone could do.
Yes if you are looking for/extremely worried about a SHTF event you can worry about one or many unlikely events no matter your location. Most don't care or even think about it. I am in the middle. I know it is a real concern but don't waste any time worrying about something that might not happen for hundreds of years.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,622,428 times
SHTF has been happening for all of human history, even before history was written down.
thats the problem with thinking nothing bad will happen, bad things have been happening since the dawn of time.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:22 PM

9,047 posts, read 4,744,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Yes if you are looking for/extremely worried about a SHTF event you can worry about one or many unlikely events no matter your location. Most don't care or even think about it. I am in the middle. I know it is a real concern but don't waste any time worrying about something that might not happen for hundreds of years.
The point is, it could reasonably happen, in your lifetime, and it would not be wise to live within two miles of the ocean, when it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
SHTF has been happening for all of human history, even before history was written down.
thats the problem with thinking nothing bad will happen, bad things have been happening since the dawn of time.
Most of the posters, here in this forum, at least acknowledge things could happen. It is getting the preparations proportional to the danger, that we discuss.

Some people look at a huge, but unlikely event, and just throw up their hands. I prefer to look at what is the minimum I can do to mitigate it. Sometimes, just moving up the road a ways is all it takes. Other times, it is having a box full of Christmas candles and a few old cans of Crisco, in my basement.

After all, I don't have to live forever, I just don't want to be a surprise to St Peter!
(Not that that is possible, but it is just my weird sense of humor.)

Old 03-31-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The point is, it could reasonably happen, in your lifetime, and it would not be wise to live within two miles of the ocean, when it does.

Most of the posters, here in this forum, at least acknowledge things could happen. It is getting the preparations proportional to the danger, that we discuss.

Some people look at a huge, but unlikely event, and just throw up their hands. I prefer to look at what is the minimum I can do to mitigate it. Sometimes, just moving up the road a ways is all it takes. Other times, it is having a box full of Christmas candles and a few old cans of Crisco, in my basement.

After all, I don't have to live forever, I just don't want to be a surprise to St Peter!
(Not that that is possible, but it is just my weird sense of humor.)
I agree with a lot of what you post on the subject. As someone who has lived in a very rural area I am prepared for pretty much any short term event that is common to my area.

At the same time I completely ignore stuff like the giant tsunami on the Oregon coast or the giant super volcano in Wyoming when I drive through/visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness