Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 05:32 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times

Advertisements

Group survival is for those who cannot survive alone and have to rely on others for the skills and knowledge they lack.
groups do not form out of thin air immediately post SHTF and any who cant survive alone wont live long enough to join a group.
I would not want to join a group of strangers I could not and would not trust, any group over here will be immediate family and family only.

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-27-2024 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 12:11 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the average sheeple over here goes food shopping every 3 days never mind 2 weeks.
Exactly my point.

Quote:
Group survival is for those who cannot survive alone and have to rely on others for the skills and knowledge they lack.
groups do not form out of thin air immediately post SHTF and any who cant survive alone wont live long enough to join a group.
I would not want to join a group of strangers I could not and would not trust, any group over here will be immediate family and family only.
There are a few groups, here in the Ozarks. At least two of them have been here for more than a dozen years.

There are also a couple Amish villages, but there are enough drug addicts, I don't expect them to last long. How long my village survives would depend on how soon they realize they need to dig a mass grave for those who come to steal. I really suspect they have been too "civilized" for too long.

And, I know of another one, in Tennessee, formerly an organic farm, and before that, a hippy commune (same place, and some of the same people). Been there at least 50 years.

All of these communes are gathered according to their religious philosophy, and none of them are marxist. Generally they all require a certain number of hours (four, I think) per week, community service (for the common areas) and the rest of the time is crass capitalism.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:53 AM

there are a few groups in the UK but they tend to be of the Bushcraft variety and most eventually collapse as people move on because of house moves, job relocation , or people lose interest and find a new hobby. most of those groups are nothing more than a few old men sitting round a camp fire drinking beer.
most if not all groups over here will break up long before SHTF actually happens.
there are no Amish or anything similar over here.
I always say when the collapse comes people are on their own, there will be no 7th Cavalry or Govt riding over the hill to your rescue, there is only one person responsible for your survival, and that is you and you alone.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:40 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Apples and oranges, but thanks anyway.
Yet Christian ‘marxists’, your self proclaimed lowest form of sheeple, have you beat. Apples and oranges eh?

You don't get to pick which one's are 'more or less' in your view, marxist. They are what they are. And they are very self sufficient.

...and I'll note- we took a very self sufficient people and forced them to our way- a very tribal and 'marxist' way of living. And now you want to instil self sufficiency. I find that to be a pantload of irony.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-28-2024 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
there are a few groups in the UK but they tend to be of the Bushcraft variety and most eventually collapse as people move on because of house moves, job relocation , or people lose interest and find a new hobby. most of those groups are nothing more than a few old men sitting round a camp fire drinking beer.
most if not all groups over here will break up long before SHTF actually happens.
there are no Amish or anything similar over here.
I always say when the collapse comes people are on their own, there will be no 7th Cavalry or Govt riding over the hill to your rescue, there is only one person responsible for your survival, and that is you and you alone.
You have no Amish, quakes or the like because of the Church of England. They were run out.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:01 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yet Christian ‘marxists’, your self proclaimed lowest form of sheeple, have you beat. Apples and oranges eh?

You don't get to pick which one's are 'more or less' in your view, marxist. They are what they are. And they are very self sufficient.
Are you saying that a commune that feeds itself and raises enough money to cover property taxes, can not be self-sufficient?

Have you ever visited a kibbutz? I had the opportunity to tour a few of them.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Are you saying that a commune that feeds itself and raises enough money to cover property taxes, can not be self-sufficient?

Have you ever visited a kibbutz? I had the opportunity to tour a few of them.
No the opposite frankly. When they split they assist in the sister colony becoming self sufficient.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:19 AM

Quote:
You have no Amish, quakes or the like because of the Church of England. They were run out.
we have Jews and JW.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The posts were made as an attack on my statement that marxists are a low form of life. I thought, when I made my statement, that everyone here would understand my intent was aimed at those who think everyone should be dependent on the government to tell them what to do, and to provide for them, cradle to grave.

Apparently, I was wrong about what people would understand.

I guess a couple of the people here were unable to grasp the concept, and when I tried to explain it, and one or more of them seem to stubbornly insist that a small group of people deciding among themselves to share their fortunes is no different than the government of Venezuela or China.

I am not sure it their attack is personal, emotional or showing a lack of conceptual skills. Whatever the cause, I don't see any use in pursuing the matter, any further.

If they can't see it, that is their problem.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
we have Jews and JW.
My understanding was that they left, voluntarily, rather than raise their children in the religious climate they observed in the society around them. (They considered English society of the time to be offensive to God.) It was more of an attack on their sensibilities, and less of an attack on their person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness