Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

Jeez use your natural surroundings and native plants to do it.

I learned this in basic training to evade and escape. Surely the OP has a greater depth of knowledge than I do.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:30 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Jeez use your natural surroundings and native plants to do it.

I learned this in basic training to evade and escape. Surely the OP has a greater depth of knowledge than I do.
But as said, the babes in the woods who may use one's vehicles without one may not have that knowledge (maybe us basic training types were left behind to cover their escape). Thinking about them here.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Go to any decent hunting supply store.
Buy the camouflage netting in a size that can completely cover the tent when erected.
Buy some 4 inch wide webbing equal to one and a half the circumference of the tent.
Go to hardware store.
Buy a tube of matte black silicone adhesive.
Go home.
Erect tent.
Drape netting over tent.
Cut netting along bottom so covers the entire tent to the ground.
Take webbing and glue it along the bottom in "U" pattern to enclose/secure cut end of netting.
Repeat again but this time buy the netting to match all the major potential visual environments you may encounter at the time you need it, where you need it.

OR,

Do the same above but get a wide visual range netting and teach the others to use natural material at the location they will be using based on the actual visual elements of that location/season/conditions. This will save having to rotate through netting as conditions change or to find out that you're woodland printed camo stands out in the snow covered thinned out winter brush. Of course if you're talking some Surf and Sun Carnival Fun Time Tent with built in Blue-Tooth speakers and Included Magic Bubble Machine, well, that's doesn't say much for a seriously inquiry.

As mentioned, all you want to do is make your item blend into the environment and natural material from the site is usually the best.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:31 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But as said, the babes in the woods who may use one's vehicles without one may not have that knowledge (maybe us basic training types were left behind to cover their escape). Thinking about them here.
But you're really not, are you?

Old 01-21-2024, 08:32 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
I'm surprised the OP is asking about this, with her military background. I'm with Threerun above, just cover it with natural foliage wherever you are.

Everyone's fantasy of surviving by bugging out and hiding in a tent during a time of conflict or hard times is probably going to result in almost zero success. And I say this as a long time prepper. I changed my mindset and my plans years ago and have prepared for what I think are the most realistic capabilities for myself, and myself only. From what I have read, the OP is in her 70s, correct? Think about what you could really handle by yourself if it came down to a crisis scenario.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:06 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Go to any decent hunting supply store.
Buy the camouflage netting in a size that can completely cover the tent when erected.
Buy some 4 inch wide webbing equal to one and a half the circumference of the tent.
Go to hardware store.
Buy a tube of matte black silicone adhesive.
Go home.
Erect tent.
Drape netting over tent.
Cut netting along bottom so covers the entire tent to the ground.
Take webbing and glue it along the bottom in "U" pattern to enclose/secure cut end of netting.
Repeat again but this time buy the netting to match all the major potential visual environments you may encounter at the time you need it, where you need it.

OR,

Do the same above but get a wide visual range netting and teach the others to use natural material at the location they will be using based on the actual visual elements of that location/season/conditions. This will save having to rotate through netting as conditions change or to find out that you're woodland printed camo stands out in the snow covered thinned out winter brush. Of course if you're talking some Surf and Sun Carnival Fun Time Tent with built in Blue-Tooth speakers and Included Magic Bubble Machine, well, that's doesn't say much for a seriously inquiry.

As mentioned, all you want to do is make your item blend into the environment and natural material from the site is usually the best.
Sounds wonderful.....how luggable is it after all that. Is it still easy to set up after the modification? Can such a tent fit into a day tripping back pack? What's the potential for repair should something be found wrong during annual checks?

I would really rather go with a rain cover over the basic tent than modifying the whole tent because among other things, the basic tent is compact enough, out of the box, that a second tent can be included in its bailout bag. Cheap and small enough for that. With modifications before the fact, that capability may be lost.

As far as the kind of dome tent, I bought a 3 pole design long ago. I don't know if it was Ozark Trail or not, just cheap. No blue tooth, no bubble machine. As said, it was a bit festive in its coloring but I wasn't trying to hide. The poles went thru cloth tubing on the tent while the current design looks like hooks and loops along the way. Whatever.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Harbor Freight has a big variety of camo tarps. I used some on my property that blended surprisingly well with the native foliage. I would start there.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:42 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
I have lost count of the number of people who have said post SHTF they will go and live in a tent in the woods, I just hope I can avoid all the corpses!!

Old 01-22-2024, 06:15 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Tamara,Perhaps, Look around different areas for caves & old mines which you can make Safe & useable, difficult to find by strangers.Preferably, not too far away from your Rancho. Put up your tent if you want to.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:22 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Keep in mind that for 2 people, you really need a 4 person tent, unless you want to be really good friends while sleeping. Hiding the tent isn't as difficult as hiding all of your other equipment that's used for cooking, cleaning, trash and such. As well as hiding the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness