Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 06:24 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Tamara,Perhaps, Look around different areas for caves & old mines which you can make Safe & useable, difficult to find by strangers.Preferably, not too far away from your Rancho. Put up your tent if you want to.
Well as said in Post #1, this is a bail out kit for a vehicle. As expanded in a later post, a bail out kit for a vehicle where babes in the woods are the occupants.

So, pretty please with sugar on it, let's keep to the subject.

Finally, of course, this is Texas, no vacancy in caves and old mines......that's where the bats roost.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:26 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Sounds wonderful.....how luggable is it after all that. Is it still easy to set up after the modification? Can such a tent fit into a day tripping back pack? What's the potential for repair should something be found wrong during annual checks?
It's probably not that luggable except for short distances considering we're talking a very wide age range. Repairs are simple because its not a picture to be mended but more like a patchwork quilt. So long as you blend the repair to the netting, it's all the same in the end.

But lets get back tot he basics as one thing is not clear, what color is the tent now? What makes the pattern festive? To be honest, you may need to solid tarp and net it if the color can't be blended into a background. Or you may just need to reject the current and get something more amenable to concealment.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's probably not that luggable except for short distances considering we're talking a very wide age range. Repairs are simple because its not a picture to be mended but more like a patchwork quilt. So long as you blend the repair to the netting, it's all the same in the end.

But lets get back tot he basics as one thing is not clear, what color is the tent now? What makes the pattern festive? To be honest, you may need to solid tarp and net it if the color can't be blended into a background. Or you may just need to reject the current and get something more amenable to concealment.
In reverse order....

as stated, one may want to be found, hence why I am looking at something like a rain cover in the kit as oppose to something permanent. BUT, the way this thread has gone, maybe an international orange rain cover is more in the works.

Of course, somewhere, there is a limit to how many layers our light weight construction can hold up and whether or not when the layers are added, will the tent not collapse in the wind?

Secondly, there is to keeping the cost down, because we are talking at least two bail out kits, one per car, with possibly a second tent, just the envelope, in each kit.

Third, it has to be simple for as said, babes in the woods. Not Cowgirls, but babes.

Finally, picture a situation like this: THE TRUCK IS ON FIRE! You have a minute or less to grab the bail out bags and get away.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Well as said in Post #1, this is a bail out kit for a vehicle. As expanded in a later post, a bail out kit for a vehicle where babes in the woods are the occupants.

So, pretty please with sugar on it, let's keep to the subject.

Finally, of course, this is Texas, no vacancy in caves and old mines......that's where the bats roost.
Yes the Texan bats! Where will the cats be when you bail out?

Old 01-22-2024, 09:21 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
These babes in the woods, the ones who can't figure out how to camouflage a tent, are they gonna be able to do the other things they need to do to survive without someone there to show them how? What good will it do them to 'escape' if they can't figure out the basics after that? Seems like maybe the cart is being put before the horse.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:26 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
C-D really could use a throwing-one's-hands-in-the-air-screaming-I-give-up! emoji right about now. After reading more of the ridiculous quibbling excuses you employ to dismiss all logical suggestions helpful folks here keep offering OP, the reality is you'll probably never achieve self-sufficiency, never bug out, nothing. Ever. What you probably will continue to do is sit in your rancho shuffling heaps of quasi-useful "gear" from place to place, driving yourself and the resident cats crazy ruminating about it but never reaching practical decisions.

OK, here's a quote from some of the vintage fantasy/SciFi you try to use to filter your view of the world. Wasn't it Yoda who said "Always with you, it cannot be done"? Maybe you should take those words to heart.

Do whatever you want with the stupid dome tent. May it bring you joy. Actually, l don't think you want ideas. What you do want is a time suck. You engage people in these futile discussions because they enable you to put off taking action in real life for another day.

As for prepping, to paraphrase an old quote, "I have met the enemy, and he is me." Except that you haven't met him, have you? You refuse to see him.

And finally, as for getting sucked into another useless thread, there's another saying about doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-22-2024 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2024, 02:49 PM

So, any thoughts on the items on the Amazon link I gave? I am thinking of making a trial run here and there, but would like some input.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:55 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Long ago I grabbed a camouflage net that I found in a military-surplus store. I think it is about 15' by 20'. I have never used it, but about once a year, I unfold it, then roll it up again and put it away. Could sure be handy if I ever need one.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
I’m just bored b/c winter, but I guess I’ll stop responding. It is polite to acknowledge & thank those who read & answer your queries.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
So, any thoughts on the items on the Amazon link I gave? I am thinking of making a trial run here and there, but would like some input.

How about half the drama? You live in the hills in Texas not outside of Kabul. An emergency blanket in cammo and one in orange will do fine. A bottle of water, a granola bar will get you to the next mail box and civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness