Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 05:53 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My wife checked for navy and baby limas at Walmart and they had none.

We can them being they are faster and easier to prep to eat than pressure cooking them.
Yes, if you are ready to eat them while they are still relatively 'fresh' [meaning less than 5 years old] then you should be able to cook them with only an overnight soaking.

We have experienced old beans [10+ years], we have gotten into the habit of doing an over night soak.

For an overnight soak, put 2 Tablespoons of baking soda into boiling water with beans at a low boil for an hour, then remove from the stove and allow to sit covered overnight. If they are soft, then change the water and cook as you normally would.

But for older beans, [meaning they are still hard after an overnight soak] follow the soak with four hours in a pressure cooker at 15psi.

We have never seen beans that were still hard following an overnight soak AND 4 hours at 15psi in a pressure cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 06:37 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:

We can them being they are faster and easier to prep to eat than pressure cooking them.
25# baby limas...$45...They also carry oxygen absorber packets.

I'm sure they deliver monthly to your area.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:

Oh, shoot, I was just going to say that I buy navy & lima beans at my local Walmart! They are my 2 favorites.

Do you have another Walmart in your area? Another possibility is Grocery Outlet.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:49 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:

Is this going to be a one time thing, or do you plan on buying several pounds at a time, on a regular basis?
If it is going to be a regular thing, you might consider asking a grocery store manager to carry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
25# baby limas...$45...They also carry oxygen absorber packets.

I'm sure they deliver monthly to your area.
That is worth looking into. I am aware of an Azure Standard delivery point being somewhere in SW Missouri but I don't have details. Can't be the only one, so I suspect delivery points throughout the Ozarks.

UPDATE: here is a map of their drop points:
https://www.azurestandard.com/drop-point-locator

Looks like there is a drop point in your neighborhood.
(I won't say where that is: OPSEC ... )

Last edited by TRex2; 02-16-2024 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Not surprising, but it is hard to find ten one pound bags at a given time. I have never thought about looking to see if they are grown and processed in the USA. I can get pinto beans by bulk at Sam's Club, but no other types are available.

My favorites are pinto, navy, great northern and baby limas. My wife has already canned some pinto and great northern beans. I eat these with corn bread.
I keep Pinto and Black beans, along with Black Eyed Peas, in fairly large quantities. I toss them in the Freezer for a week, in case any bugs come with them, then into a bucket (to keep them all in the same place) with bay leaves (again, deters bugs). Bugs are a problem in, and south of, the Ozarks.

I have seen some baby lima's at the Mountain Home WalMart, but I didn't see Navy Beans.
If I can find some of each, that might be a good excuse for us to have a meet up.
(Maybe not. Just checked the map: it's a long drive.)

Ratio, IIRC, is about 2 or 3 quarts, canned, from each pound of dry beans.
Is that about what she gets?

Old 02-16-2024, 08:25 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I keep Pinto and Black beans, along with Black Eyed Peas, in fairly large quantities. I toss them in the Freezer for a week, in case any bugs come with them, then into a bucket (to keep them all in the same place) with bay leaves (again, deters bugs). Bugs are a problem in, and south of, the Ozarks.

I have seen some baby lima's at the Mountain Home WalMart, but I didn't see Navy Beans.
If I can find some of each, that might be a good excuse for us to have a meet up.

On using bay leaf to keep out bugs and such, here in Montana, and it grows native all over the western US, the Indians and pioneers both used leaves from sagebrush. Sagebrush has camphor and other things that keep insects out.
The pioneers also used it to keep moths out of clothing, the Indians would put it inside their moccasins to kill athletes foot. It was also made into a tea to wash lice off your body and hair.

Using it to protect food adds flavor as well since it tastes just like the sage herb used in turkey stuffing.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
On using bay leaf to keep out bugs and such, here in Montana, and it grows native all over the western US, the Indians and pioneers both used leaves from sagebrush. Sagebrush has camphor and other things that keep insects out.
The pioneers also used it to keep moths out of clothing, the Indians would put it inside their moccasins to kill athletes foot. It was also made into a tea to wash lice off your body and hair.

Using it to protect food adds flavor as well since it tastes just like the sage herb used in turkey stuffing.
Interesting tip.
I hadn't thought of sage.

Bay leaves impart a nice (but, very subtle) flavoring, also, when they are packed into cases of beans, flower, or rice.
(Those are my three main items that I use them for.)

Old 02-16-2024, 09:17 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

My wife got 7 pounds of navy and 7 pounds of baby lima beans today at a local Allen's Food Store. Being tomorrow will be cold she will be canning some of them.

I think my wife read and will do 3/4 of a pound per quart. She will put ham in these also. When we want to eat them she will put a piece or two of smoked bacon in them and heat them up. I smoke four pounds at a time of the bacon on my smoker.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My wife got 7 pounds of navy and 7 pounds of baby lima beans today at a local Allen's Food Store. Being tomorrow will be cold she will be canning some of them.

I think my wife read and will do 3/4 of a pound per quart. She will put ham in these also. When we want to eat them she will put a piece or two of smoked bacon in them and heat them up. I smoke four pounds at a time of the bacon on my smoker.
OK that is about half of the amount I heard.
Someone must have given me the recipe for soup.
(Soup is popular where I spent the last 30 years.)

DM on the way: for stocking up.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
My wife is doing baby lima beans now and she put in five pounds of them in pre-soak overnight. The calculation of 3/4 lb per quart is 5.25. She has a lot of beans left over for me to eat. Next time she may try 4 pounds instead of 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness