Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 09:35 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times

Advertisements

Is there a good place to buy baby lima and navy beans in 10+ pound bags? My wife wants to can them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 04:38 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Amazon

Old 02-11-2024, 11:54 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Is there a good place to buy baby lima and navy beans in 10+ pound bags? My wife wants to can them.
You could purchase ten one pound bags at the supermarket. You are going to can them anyway so does it matter if they are in a one or ten pound bag?

Just make sure they are grown and processed in the USA.

OTOH, 10 pounds of rice is a great buy from Indian import stores. https://www.ishopindian.com/daawat-t...l-basmati-rice

Old 02-11-2024, 12:11 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
You could purchase ten one pound bags at the supermarket. You are going to can them anyway so does it matter if they are in a one or ten pound bag?
Cost savings. Depending on the part of the country you may find bulk bags of dried beans from local producers or ethnic markets. As an example, anywhere throughout the southwest US you can find big sacks of pinto beans at the smaller Mexican groceries.

I once special ordered 25# sacks of black beans and pinto beans from a major grocery chain and was given a 10% discount off the per-pound price.

Why lima and navy beans? I don't typically see those in dried form unless they're in a soup mix of different bean varieties. Seems like black, pinto, kidney, and garbanzo are more common.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:18 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We only ever buy beans in 50# sacks.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:12 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Just make sure they are grown and processed in the USA.

OTOH, 10 pounds of rice is a great buy from Indian import stores. https://www.ishopindian.com/daawat-t...l-basmati-rice
Not surprising, but it is hard to find ten one pound bags at a given time. I have never thought about looking to see if they are grown and processed in the USA. I can get pinto beans by bulk at Sam's Club, but no other types are available.

My favorites are pinto, navy, great northern and baby limas. My wife has already canned some pinto and great northern beans. I eat these with corn bread.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:08 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Costco?

Old 02-13-2024, 10:18 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Just out of curiosity, do you eat so many beans you want to buy them in bulk, can them, and then rotate/consume them all before the canning preservation gets sketchy?

The beans you describe are toxic. They can be rendered safer by thoroughly cooking them, but humans did not evolve to eat them or any other plants with toxic levels of lectins and cyanide.

If one thinks about it, most of the foods we eat cannot be consumed without applying some form of technology to them, whether its by cooking, fermentation, or some other process. Likewise, our cave dwelling ancestors never painted scenes of humans eating salads on the walls.

I consider most plants to be famine foods, especially the ones that would have killed our technology-lacking ancestors. (Or lets face, almost any human walking around today if suddenly all the processed food got turned off).

I didn't mean to rant. If we were looking for something to can, we'd be shopping meat sales. Fortunately, we raise our own and would only can it if refrigeration became unavailable. And we have the equipment, supplies, and experience to do that too if it was ever necessary.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:33 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you eat so many beans you want to buy them in bulk, can them, and then rotate/consume them all before the canning preservation gets sketchy?
I had similar thoughts when I read the OP, and with this being in the Preparedness forum I question why dried beans are even being canned in bulk at all? It's one of the few food products that can be safely kept in dry storage for years or even decades and still be edible. Cook beans on demand, as people have for hundreds of years. If the OP is that fond of home cooked beans, they can be prepared within an hour in a pressure cooker.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
try Chef's Store (cash & carry for smaller restaurants and bulk retail buyers. ), a div of US Foods (restaurant wholesale and distribution).
Food 4 Less. a discount bulk store of Kroger. Bulk bins.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-13-2024 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness