Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 12:24 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dessicant...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just some observations:

There are different types of silica desiccants. Some can be "recharged" 5-10 times, some hundreds of times, and there is an industrial variety that cannot be reused. The rechargeable types can get contaminated and make them unable to be recharged. Also, overheating desiccant can reduce it's lifespan. If what you are trying to preserve is valuable, it may be a good idea to use new desiccant.
I wasn't aware, before this, that there were several types of silica, but I was aware that there are some different kinds of desiccants.

As someone pointed out, salt and sugar can be used, and I recently found that a common desiccant people use in their homes (Damp Rid) is calcium chloride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I once had dealings with a person who saved all desiccant packs he found in packaging (like the type that come in shoe boxes) and threw them in his gun safe. I always thought there wasn't enough desiccant to really make a difference in that big of a space (5ft tall gun safe).

Is there any science to this?
Reminds me of an old saying among engineers:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is a difference.

Unless the gun safe seals like a refrigerator, those little packets aren't going to make a measurable difference. And even if it does, they might not make a measurable difference. If the room the safe is in is moist, I would suggest a dehumidifier. If it is in a closet that is rarely opened, some sort of desiccant might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness