Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 04:49 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Recently bought this type of knife:
https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Eye-Tac.../dp/B01N9VJF3O

How can I test knives in general, to evaluate, to see if I should buy more. I can imagine some approaches like see how it sharpens up, wear it out on field trips, try to use it a lot, see if it breaks off the handle pressing down on it to try to cleave something.

What other tests might one do?

As said, "test knives in general". Now, I might get comments back that say, "Hey, Tamara, you bought a turkey, should have read the comments, buy from this company instead".......but that is not what is being asked here but rather, how to evaluate knives, here let's say land knives, in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2024, 04:20 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yes, Tamara - you didn't buy quality knife.

Perhaps, before buying you should educate yourself and read tutorials available online?

You might start with this:
https://knife-depot.com/pages/the-co...e-buying-guide

https://www.themeateater.com/gear/ge...-hunting-knife

https://www.knivesillustrated.com/bu...unting-knives/

Old 02-26-2024, 08:02 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I forge knives from spring steel, by hand, fit the scales, guards and butts, as well as doing the tempering and finish work.

To test your knife, do a strike test. Try chopping through a piece of wood. Most inferior knives will break with repeated impact. You could also try battoning it through a piece of wood.
I haven't read the specs on your knife, but that doesn't look like a full tang knife, and rubber/plastic handles many times means either a partial tang that doesn't pass through the full length of the handle, or what I call a rat tail that is a very thin tang that won't support the blade under stress.

Stainless steel, depending on the alloy, can be soft and easily take a fine edge, but can't hold it. Try carving a piece of hardwood and see how long your edge holds for fine cuts.

The spine of a camp knife should be square not rounded so you can use a Ferro rod to start a fire. Some powder coatings will interfere with that too.

Most Chinese made knives case harden the blade.

That means using an inferior steel, then baking it with carbon to enable a light layer of harder steel so it can be sold with a good edge, however, subsequent sharpening goes through that microns thick layer of harder steel, and the soft base metal won't hold an edge.

Go ahead and test it, then let us know how it performs for you.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:52 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
I'm shocked the OP would buy something like that.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I'm shocked the OP would buy something like that.
Well, I didn't pay the Amazon price for it but a whole lot less.

It was cheap, it looked interesting, and I thought I would check it out. If it worked out, okay. If not, well there is always use in booby traps.

As said, the question on the table is how to evaluate a knife, any knife. Thank you, MTSilvertip. A lot of your terms are unfamiliar, battoning?, but the Net should be able to define that.....right?

I just tossed that, what knife it was, in because I figured if I stated the question without saying which knife generated the question, people would be asking about it.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:43 AM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Tamara, I would suggest you look in the Russell catalog, a lot of quality knives in there. Case and Buck are old trusted brands, you won't go wrong with them. I have a "piggyback" set of Case sheath knives, a smaller one and a bigger one, I think I paid about $110 for them, probably more money now. Some custom makers like Randall are charging around $500 for a larger fixed blade. You probably want a general purpose knife, but you can get fish knives, bird knives, skinning knives, etc.

Or DM Silvertip and tell him what you want, and go first class.

Knives, like firearms, are lifetime tools and cheaping out on them does not make any sense.

You can read up on various steels, with you being around salt water a lot you may want to stick with stainless, although most quality American made knives are stainless anymore.

Old 02-26-2024, 12:05 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Well, Tamara, if I owned such a knife, that I bought for less than $15. I would use it for all the stuff I would never use a good knife for. That is the test.

You can use it to cut baling twine in the barn and then stab it into a post for storage. There's a lot of uses for a good cheap knife. And I wouldn't do that with a good one.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-26-2024 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-26-2024, 02:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Tamara, I would suggest you look in the Russell catalog, a lot of quality knives in there. Case and Buck are old trusted brands, you won't go wrong with them. I have a "piggyback" set of Case sheath knives, a smaller one and a bigger one, I think I paid about $110 for them, probably more money now. Some custom makers like Randall are charging around $500 for a larger fixed blade. You probably want a general purpose knife, but you can get fish knives, bird knives, skinning knives, etc.

Or DM Silvertip and tell him what you want, and go first class.

Knives, like firearms, are lifetime tools and cheaping out on them does not make any sense.

You can read up on various steels, with you being around salt water a lot you may want to stick with stainless, although most quality American made knives are stainless anymore.
I agree. I am still using a really good filet knife I bought in 1980 and it holds an edge well. Ditto on my Buck knives -- some nearly 50 years old now.
If you don't abuse a good knife (like using it for a pry tool or trying to chop through rocks) and are careful not to let it get rusty it can be passed down to the next generation.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:12 PM

https://caseknives.com/collections/f...leather-sheath

Here is that 2-knife set from Case I referred to earlier. Now the price here is probably full retail and maybe you can do better, I want to say I paid $110 or $120 for mine on sale, several years ago.

As Grandpa Tom noted, you have to use some discretion with a good knife, and needless to say you don't ever loan it out. Amongst real outdoorsmen, asking to borrow a knife (or axe) is extremely gauche, like asking to borrow mechanic's tools.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, Tamara, if I owned such a knife, that I bought for less than $15. I would use it for all the stuff I would never use a good knife for. That is the test.

You can use it to cut baling twine in the barn and then stab it into a post for storage. There's a lot of uses for a good cheap knife. And I wouldn't do that with a good one.
For that kind of duty I like to use a box cutter. The trouble with a cheap poor quality knife is it won't stay sharp, and as you apply more and more pressure, you get less and less safe. Or the blade might actually break,

That said, for some inexpensive but actually quite good carbon steel kitchen knives, the Old Hickory brand are great and a great value, however you do have to clean them and apply some sort of oil that is compatible with foods to prevent rust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness