Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 05:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Here, it won't be a looter problem, around hospitals, just that 10,000 other people will show up, needing help.

The looters will all be grabbing big screen TV's and robbing jewelry stores, ATM's and pharmacies.
hospitals have pharmacies too, do you think the looters dont know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 05:17 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
hmmm...something must be wrong with the forum software; I thought I clicked on a thread about communications, but this seems to be about looters and what they will be targeting in the aftermath of a disaster.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:17 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Carrier pigeon

Old 03-04-2024, 07:13 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Carrier pigeon
Smoke signals would still work: too conspicuous if one is hiding though

I wouldn’t want to communicate; if able - just to listen.
A solar charger and a cheap fm radio should do?

If using 2 way radio I suggest do not use voice; agree on some inconspicuous sounds as your codes:”here is bad, coming to your location”, “come over here if you can”, add a few distress signal codes as the sound of nature or just some odd noise makers: 2 sticks rubbed together or 2 metal pieces, duck calls - low or loud could have a different meaning, or use the same sound but with the different meaning at dawn - meaning all is bad , or sunset all is good - just brainstorming here

Last edited by L00k4ward; 03-04-2024 at 07:24 AM..

Old 03-04-2024, 07:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
radio's can be tracked, If the Nazis could do it in WW2 I'm sure its possible now.
best to keep shtum.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:30 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
hmmm...something must be wrong with the forum software; I thought I clicked on a thread about communications, but this seems to be about looters and what they will be targeting in the aftermath of a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
hospitals have pharmacies too, do you think the looters dont know that?
Generally, around here, hospitals have better security, and looters go after easy targets.

But, GuyInSD is right, this looting stuff is off topic.
Done.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Carrier pigeon
If you got 'em, use 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Smoke signals would still work: too conspicuous if one is hiding though

I wouldn’t want to communicate; if able - just to listen.
A solar charger and a cheap fm radio should do?
Well, listening is more important than talking. And sometimes it might be as easy as an FM radio.
AM is better, if there isn't a lot of interference from natural (lightning) or unnatural (EMP's would echo for days) sources on AM. SW/SSB or digital is the best, but there is cost, and a learning curve.

Quote:
If using 2 way radio I suggest do not use voice; agree on some inconspicuous sounds as your codes:”here is bad, coming to your location”, “come over here if you can”, add a few distress signal codes as the sound of nature or just some odd noise makers: 2 sticks rubbed together or 2 metal pieces, duck calls - low or loud could have a different meaning, or use the same sound but with the different meaning at dawn - meaning all is bad , or sunset all is good - just brainstorming here
Brevity codes are more important than secret codes. It is important to get the point across in as little time as possible, with as little chance of misunderstanding as possible. (These are somewhat advanced ideas.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
radio's can be tracked, If the Nazis could do it in WW2 I'm sure its possible now.
best to keep shtum.
There are ways to impeded tracking, but that is a more advanced subject, and we don't even know if he wants to talk, or just listen.

I figure it is best to cover the basics, first.
Then the more advanced stuff.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Quote:
Carrier pigeon
I'm guessing your comment was made in jest, but here "racing pigeons" are a thing. They drive them far away or even fly them to a different island and wagers are placed on who's pigeon returns home first. The infrastructure is already in place... all is needed is to repurpose the birds for carrying messages instead of solely for gambling. They could still bet on them...

Old 03-05-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I'm guessing your comment was made in jest, but here "racing pigeons" are a thing. They drive them far away or even fly them to a different island and wagers are placed on who's pigeon returns home first. The infrastructure is already in place... all is needed is to repurpose the birds for carrying messages instead of solely for gambling. They could still bet on them...
To be truly practical, I think you need one that will travel back and forth between two locations.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:57 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Unfortunately, pigeons are one-way communication only, but the pigeon networks could be surprisingly complex. The first organized network of pigeon messengers is believed to have been established around the 5th Century BC. The network would have required the pigeons themselves to be transported throughout the network, slowly, by people, away from their "home" node. Probably along with other goods using established trade/transportation routes. Pigeon networks functioned similarly to how data travels on the internet with packets of information sometimes going from node to node and pigeon to pigeon until it was routed to it's final destination. One pigeon could carry multiple short messages with different origins and final destinations during it's particular flight, though important messages were usually sent in duplicate or triplicate. (Predators, bad weather, illness etc sometimes took it's toll on the messengers). While the pigeons themselves only "home" in one direction, the networks were constantly transiting pigeons, so two-way pigeon communication was possible using different birds, in some cases many different birds.

In the early Olympic games athletes would bring pigeons from their home towns and the birds would deliver the news of victory (or defeat) soon after the event. In modern times they frequently release pigeons, symbolically, during the opening and/or closing ceremonies. They were the only high-speed long distance communication used continuously for thousands of years, falling out of favor after the telegraph was invented.

I don't know if anybody knows how many pigeons were used in this manner, but it's estimated that the British used over a million pigeons during the 2 world wars.

Last edited by terracore; 03-05-2024 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness