Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 06:45 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If you want to go beyond the basics (AM FM Weather, ect) I have heard the Tecsun is a good radio.

TECSUN PL-660 Portable AM/FM/LW/Air
Shortwave World Band Radio with Single Side Band
by TECSUN (Electronics) $130

Just know, anything beyond the basics, is going to have a learning curve.
Thank you. If nothing else, I can use it as a starting point for comparison. But, I may just go with this one. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
If you want to go beyond the basics (AM FM Weather, ect) I have heard the Tecsun is a good radio.

TECSUN PL-660 Portable AM/FM/LW/Air
Shortwave World Band Radio with Single Side Band
by TECSUN (Electronics) $130

Just know, anything beyond the basics, is going to have a learning curve.
Should I go for a HAM radio? Isn't it the same thing but with more range?

Old 03-18-2024, 02:24 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Should I go for a HAM radio?...
The learning curve is a little longer.
Especially if you don't have any radio or electronics in your background.

But, if you can do it, it can be very rewarding.

If not, look into the AmRRON CH3 project.

Quote:
Isn't it the same thing but with more range?
No. SW is a form of radio that works across long distance.
Most people refer to SW when discussing listening, only.

Ham sometimes uses SW (they call it HF) but is two way communications.

This guy seems to have a good place to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYX3y9GZDdg

Old 03-18-2024, 01:16 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
I checked into HAM, but like you said it is a long learning curve. I am too old to learn new tricks.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The learning curve is a little longer.
Especially if you don't have any radio or electronics in your background.

But, if you can do it, it can be very rewarding.

If not, look into the AmRRON CH3 project.

No. SW is a form of radio that works across long distance.
Most people refer to SW when discussing listening, only.

Ham sometimes uses SW (they call it HF) but is two way communications.

This guy seems to have a good place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYX3y9GZDdg

I'm primarily interested in listening. But... who knows? Maybe I should learn to talk also. My knowledge of these things is miniscule.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:18 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
All the questions and answers for the FCC licensing exam for HAM operators are online, and free phone apps exist that function like flash cards to help one learn to pass the test. It's possible to get a HAM license without understanding the concepts behind the questions and there are no "problem solving" questions like with FAA exams. In the past people might have freaked out over somebody saying they were going to pass in this manner, but technology has made a lot of the information obsolete to know. They took the Morse code questions off the exam a long time ago. It might be time to revamp it again.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:23 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
Quote:
I'm primarily interested in listening. But... who knows? Maybe I should learn to talk also. My knowledge of these things is miniscule.

There are a lot of options when it comes to choice of radios...whether for just listening, or if you want to chat with new people. The first step would be learn a little about your immediate area...search for "amateur radio club" in your State and your nearest City/Town. If there is a local group, they are a perfect place to learn more about Amateur (HAM) Radio before ever spending a dime, and often you can take classes or the Ham Exam if you choose to proceed. To be clear, an FCC License is required for a Ham license in order for you to transmit.

Often, one or more of these local groups will be affiliated with the local Government Emergency Management group at Federal, State, County, or State levels, and even Hospital groups and of course Red Cross. Lots of training is available if you are interested, and lots of opportunity to serve the community if you choose.

Often these groups work together to an extent, sharing Repeaters or other facilities during Non-Emergency periods. For example, large events such as Marathons are often partly staffed by Volunteer Hams to provide event communications for a variety of purposes. These groups also practice for Emergency events with various sessions and exercises. The Repeaters greatly extend your range, whether in an urban area or open country depending on locations and terrain. With many Digital units you actually "repeat" over the internet, all around the world. All you need is an appropriate handheld walkie talkie (as long as there is internet access through some source- cell phone hotspot, wireless network, cable network depending on equipment choice) to have a conversation. As an example, I live in Hawaii, and with one of these Digital capable hand held units, I can easily talk with others in Australia, Europe, all across the US and Canada, and many other locations. I can do this while walking in the park, or sitting in my livingroom. These are all UHF or VHF radios, and generally have scanning capability for some Ham frequencies and often Air and Marine (ship) channels as well (for listening only on those channels).

For long distance two way conversations, a HAM license and equipment is the only option, with a wide variety of equipment choices, even more so when you look at HF radios and the more typical large antennas used in different communication "bands".

If there are NO local clubs, or you really are not that interested in talking with strangers, there are also GMRS and FRS radios that you can use to talk with family members. These are cheap, small, easy to use when traveling in multiple vehicles, hiking, and just for ease of communicating with nearby family if power and cellphones go down. There is a licensing fee, currently $35 for a 10 year period with no testing required. Minimal rules, and the range can vary depending on terrain and obstructions, but generally under 5 miles. CB's fall into this category as well.

Any of these radio systems, if active in your general region, will likely provide useful information and may also provide a lifeline in the event of a major catastrophe, such as Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake, etc. IF you know what frequencies are being used by local Emergency groups. You learn this at the local clubs, or by finding a "Repeater Directory", or checking on Radio Reference dot com. Many repeaters are set up with either backup or completely off-grid power, so they, along with most Ham rigs function "When all else fails".

Shortwave radios such as the one mentioned in this thread are fine for just listening, primarily to mostly commercial and pirate stations around the world, which may well be useful in case of a World Event, but not likely too helpful for a local event. They can certainly be very interesting however!

Of course there are also pure "Scanner" radios that can be programmed to listen to local Public Safety, Business, and other frequencies, HOWEVER, some locales, such as here in Hawaii, have begun "encrypting" their radio transmissions, so there is no reasonable way for a common citizen to be able to monitor the PD, FD, EMS and certain other channels. Some businesses also encrypt theirs as well, so research before spending much on a scanner. Some Military, most Commercial Air, Marine, and Railroad freqs are still accessible.

Most Radio "bands" have a common "calling" channel or frequency, some just for emergency, some for general use, so it is good to learn those for the bands you are able to transmit on with your equipment.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:53 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Quote:
Many years ago my FIL had a scanner. While visiting I would spend my time listening to it.

There is a local HAM radio club in my area. I may attend a meeting if it is closer to me. They now have their meeting about 35 miles away at 7 PM which is to far and to late for me. It is named after the town I live in, but it has grown too much.

https://bellavistaradioclub.org/

Old 03-19-2024, 01:58 PM

If you decide to pursue that route, here is a good book (free PDF) to start your library.

https://www.qsl.net/sp9hzx/img/The%2...ur%20Radio.pdf

Don't let the size scare you, too much. You don't have to read all of it, at once
(Eventually, you might, but, for right now, it is a reference book.)

Old 03-20-2024, 08:27 AM

Director of National Intelligence (oxymoron alert! ) has released their annual threat assessment.

Has a little about communications.
But not much.

This article discusses disaster preparedness.
https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2024/...ssessment.html

This is the link to the DNI threat assessment.
https://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsro...ence-community

This reinforces two things:
One is that anything you do, will put you ahead of the crowd.
The other is that it will be an exercise requiring patience to make any progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness