Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2024, 08:45 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,088,409 times

Advertisements

This was a pretty good read, so thought I would share it; as I realized I need to get in touch
with nature again...and planning on some summer excursions/camping.

"The best way to prevent getting lost is to get more familiar with land navigation. It’s not enough to bring a map and compass with you into the wild. You’ll need to know how to shoot an azimuth and back azimuth, account for declination, and determine distances (among many other skills). You’ll also need to know that steel or iron objects can pull your compass needle away from magnetic north, so keep your rifle barrel away from your compass as you take bearings."
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/1...get-you-killed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 07:40 PM

461 posts, read 313,750 times
Pretty commonsense article for Outdoor Life. Usually they give just a very basic overview with minimal useful information.

This isnt bad though, at least they identify some actual things a person should pay attention to. I like the "don't eat mushrooms you can't identify" part. Holds true for berries too.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:37 PM

23,473 posts, read 19,135,648 times
One of my favorite non-fiction reads has been:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33526593596...2ce5162ac7a426

Packed full of interesting natural history tidbits and making use of naturally-occurring phenomena to keep yourself found.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:36 PM

1,052 posts, read 590,407 times
The best way to avoid getting lost is to move to an island. When I lived in Hawaii it was impossible to get lost. All you had to do was keep going and eventually you would find what you were looking for. It didn't matter which direction you went to get back either, eventually you would end up where you started from. In fact, their entire set of directions consisted of just two words, mauku and makai. One was toward the mountain, and the other was toward the ocean. You didn't need to know turn left or turn right, or go east, west, north or south. Just go mauka, or go makai.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:56 PM

4,417 posts, read 4,945,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The best way to avoid getting lost is to move to an island. When I lived in Hawaii it was impossible to get lost. All you had to do was keep going and eventually you would find what you were looking for. It didn't matter which direction you went to get back either, eventually you would end up where you started from. In fact, their entire set of directions consisted of just two words, mauku and makai. One was toward the mountain, and the other was toward the ocean. You didn't need to know turn left or turn right, or go east, west, north or south. Just go mauka, or go makai.
People get lost here all the time. The island I live on is 4,000 square miles. Most people get lost within a few miles from where they thought they were just about anywhere. Our neighbor got lost in his back yard. It's easier than one thinks when the jungle is dense.

Old Today, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

"The best way to prevent getting lost is to get more familiar with land navigation.

I always do this when I go out on a boat. I keep looking back checking for land marks & making a mental note of them.

There ain't nothin' worse than being lost on a lake with the sun going down & you can't remember which dock to pull into!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness