Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 08:24 AM

10,793 posts, read 5,739,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_overlander View Post
Whatever. We are talking about home, not professional. These recipes sites and books are for home cooks too. Anyway, not worth discussing this modern BS, professionals cooked meet for millenniums without any thermometers.
Well that’s kind of a strange, over the top response in a simple discussion about thermometers, especially when you aren’t being attacked in any way.

I sincerely hope that you are able to sort out your issues and have a better day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 11:17 PM

19,031 posts, read 14,263,629 times
One may cook "without a thermometer" but with some form of thermostatic control.
Ex: oven, or sous vide.
Another temperature regulator is the pressure cooker - won't get higher than the temperature of the pressurized steam.
A double boiler (pot suspended over a pot of boiling water) will limit the temperature to whatever is boiling temperature for your location (altitude).
And there are electric appliances like the Instant Pot, which has a thermostat and timer function. (I.P. is a good choice, since it is insulated and saves on fuel / energy)

Old 05-11-2024, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 2,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Wild meat does need to be cooked thoroughly because of the possibility of all sorts of parasites. Trichinosis in Bear meat, wasting disease in deer, etc. etc. etc

Poultry will go rancid quickly, so salmonella in chicken is a quick example.
Domestic beef is very safe as the animals are vaccinated and cared for medically, domestic pork is also very safe, but wild boar or feral hogs can carry any number of diseases

I flippantly stated, "stick a knife in it and if it bleeds, it ain't done", which is true, but incomplete. When done, the juices will run clear, so this is a good way to check turkey or chicken or pork.

Chef's will poke the meat with a finger to that's the doneness of a steak. A soft tender steak is rare or medium rare, one that is stiff and hard is well done.

Being aware of food safety, especially if you don't have refrigeration is a good idea. Food borne illnesses and pathogens do kill people every year, even with all modern safety regulations and conveniences, so learning to really be able to cook is a good idea.
The chronic wasting disease in deer is due to misfolded proteins - prions. Equivalent of mad cow disease

The prions won’t be destroyed by long cooking: they can’t be destroyed easily and safely

Read about the temperatures and pressure needed to destroy them.
Everyone should be aware of it in survival situations.

We are all in danger even now as CWD is becoming very widespread and waters, soil, etc get contaminated

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-flna1C9475896

Old 05-12-2024, 06:40 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,291,519 times
I was raised eating wild game. Any animal that did not act 'true to its nature' was avoided. If it was deemed a danger, it was killed, but never used. It was burned, then the remains buried. Our great fear was rabies.

For a while, my mother cooked in a wood stove. She knew how much wood, and what kind of wood, she needed to get the food cooked. When the ranger station got gas, she said she burned everything until she became accustomed to the gas stove. We never ate anything that was not well done. Meat that was not well done was considered dangerous.

She learned to cook just enough. There was no refrigeration. Our livestock took care of any leftovers.

When we moved to civilization, my mother was horrified to see our neighbors washing eggs. She would shake her head and say 'They are taking the bloom off. Now the eggs will go bad and make them sick'. I later found out that she was correct.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:07 AM

2,842 posts, read 3,212,811 times
I keep wondering why I would want to be so worried about getting sick from meat in such a post apocalyptic world. I mean how long would you want to live that way anyway?

Old 05-14-2024, 09:55 AM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I keep wondering why I would want to be so worried about getting sick from meat in such a post apocalyptic world. I mean how long would you want to live that way anyway?
Yeah, reminds me of people who were so concerned about building and stocking bunkers to survive a nuclear holocaust. I mean…wouldn’t you rather just go immediately?

Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 AM

52,907 posts, read 34,751,425 times
Quote:
a fascinating and disgusting article, but i think this is more how it would end up, as opposed to cooking meat to a government-certified temperature:

A surprising food may have been a staple of the real Paleo diet: rotten meat
Quote:
Speth has suspected for several decades that consumption of fermented and putrid meat, fish, fat and internal organs has a long and probably ancient history among northern Indigenous groups. Consulting mainly online sources such as Google Scholar and universities’ digital library catalogs, he found many ethnohistorical descriptions of such behavior going back to the 1500s. Putrid walrus, seals, caribou, reindeer, musk oxen, polar bears, moose, arctic hares and ptarmigans had all been fair game. Speth reported much of this evidence in 2017 in PaleoAnthropology.

In one recorded incident from late-1800s Greenland, a well-intentioned hunter brought what he had claimed in advance was excellent food to a team led by American explorer Robert Peary. A stench filled the air as the hunter approached Peary’s vessel carrying a rotting seal dripping with maggots. The Greenlander had found the seal where a local group had buried it, possibly a couple of years earlier, so that the body could reach a state of tasty decomposition. Peary ordered the man to keep the reeking seal off his boat.

Miffed at this unexpected rejection, the hunter “told us that the more decayed the seal the finer the eating, and he could not understand why we should object,” Peary’s wife wrote of the encounter.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:38 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,583,568 times
Quote:
I keep wondering why I would want to be so worried about getting sick from meat in such a post apocalyptic world.
I am not convinced that 'post-apocalyptic' eating really needs to be any different than it is today.

Anyone who raises livestock and home butchers their meat is going to continue doing the same thing then as what we do now.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:26 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,623,698 times
Quote:
I lived off grid, cooking over a camp fire, growing my own vegetables and shooting small game, for many years and would do it again post SHTF and be very happy doing it, does that answer your question??

Old 05-15-2024, 07:57 AM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I lived off grid, cooking over a camp fire, growing my own vegetables and shooting small game, for many years and would do it again post SHTF and be very happy doing it, does that answer your question??
That's not the part of "post-apocalyptic" that bothers most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness