Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:58 PM

48,710 posts, read 35,229,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don't think I saw it but now I'll have to look up the clip, lol.

Bog is like paella, a little lighter than gumbo. Chicken, rabbit, squirrel- doesn't matter. just a broth made from the meat, shredded meat and then cooked with rice and usually sausage and whateverthehellelse you have around . My dad was from NC lowcountry and this is definitely a Carolinas low country food.

In fact I was sitting here recalling my dad making it, and he would sometimes add a spicy Dan Doodle or Tom Thumb sausage to the pot, then when done open it and break it apart into the bog. Look THAT one up, lol.
I like learning how to make things... from scratch. But I am super avoidant of animal proteins.

I'll just continue to work on my gardening skills. If it comes down to the short hairs we have ground squirrels, cotton tails and quail all over (deer and bear too, but they don't wander into our yard).

DH will have to kill, clean and bring me fillete of whatnot. I can kill any flavor with enough spices.

I will deal with my delicate palate then.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 07:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,145,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Similar here. They look like little people without heads in the pot. Meat is tasty. I do not remember the do not eat months besides baby season.

In Georgia it starts in August, but we would always wait til it got a little cooler. That's because earlier in the season the squirrels have what we call "wolves" which are fly eggs, and they're not good to eat then.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:49 AM

20,003 posts, read 22,951,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
In Georgia it starts in August, but we would always wait til it got a little cooler. That's because earlier in the season the squirrels have what we call "wolves" which are fly eggs, and they're not good to eat then.
We called them warbles but yeah same thing. Rabbits have them too. When we had a Basenji here in Montana she would get botflies occasionally and they are disgusting to remove.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:58 AM

32,782 posts, read 48,565,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You were there?
I didn't have to be there. I can read. I can study history, I can listen to the folklore.

I know that the schools don't seem to be teaching much about history today, but honestly, none of this stuff is secret.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:02 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,102,756 times
I wouldn't boil lean meats like rabbit and squirrel. Lean meats are best cooked slowly. Braising is excellent. Braised rabbit in wine (Beaujolais, or broth/water if you don't have the wine), shallots, thyme and, believe it or not, prunes. Delicious! Young rabbits and squirrels can be pretty good fried (after brining) but I no longer eat fried foods.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:10 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,654,016 times
I'm 68, been camping since I was 3. I have never gone camping where there's a meat thermometer with us. To tell you the truth, I don't even have one at home. never used it, never needed one.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:46 AM

22,172 posts, read 9,734,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't cook turkeys out on the range but in ovens with a meat thermometer.

But say it is the end of society as we know it and the thermometer has broken. How do we know when the food is cooked and ready to eat so we don't poison ourselves?

FINALLY, it is the nature of these threads that others use them to rake me over the coals. Can't we find the answers to the questions posed for the benefit of all?Thank you. I would like to think that is a decent answer but isn't some blood possible, depending on how the meat is done? Is the only state of no bleeding being burnt to a crisp?This question is preparing if Society goes South. Hence, the modern world that we know is GONE!
If things get that bad, I think that's the least of our problems.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,142,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_overlander View Post
I never cooked with a thermometer...are people using those for real? I thought it was marketing BS.
Where are meat thermometers marketed, exactly?

Old 03-31-2024, 10:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,142,230 times
Quote:
In the recipes and cookbooks. It's all a marketing plot. Next one will need a science lab facility and a couple of "experts" to cook a burger. It'll have to be tested after cooking and made sure it's free from "pig flu", "bird flu", "monkey flu", "bat flu" and whatever other BS they're coming up with.
Ok

Old 04-01-2024, 08:15 AM

10,970 posts, read 5,814,314 times
Quote:
In the recipes and cookbooks. It's all a marketing plot. Next one will need a science lab facility and a couple of "experts" to cook a burger. It'll have to be tested after cooking and made sure it's free from "pig flu", "bird flu", "monkey flu", "bat flu" and whatever other BS they're coming up with.
In the professional cooking world, thermometers are near standard equipment and are used extensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness