Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 07:41 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's take this situation: lost in the woods with your bud. Lucky for you, he knew how to catch a rabbit, skin and clean it. It is ready for cooking, and the fire is going. Unlucky for you, he tripped and fell off the cliff. He's dead. How will you know it is ready to eat?
Ok, Q and X.

Q: start cooking rabbit, and when it appears cooked, cut off a small piece.

X: look at the piece of rabbit you just cut off. If it’s done, eat it. If not, cook longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 12:31 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I only use a simple analog thermometer but I was rather picturing that being, if eventually, unavailable as well.

However, enough has been established of ways to do after a few pages.
Didn't you used to cook huge quantities of brisket on camping trips?

Old 03-23-2024, 03:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
We cook our meats to death - no pun intended since they are already parts of corpses. We do this for health reasons of one person in the household.

I do have a meat thermometer, but otherwise we either push it down and check for blood - and/or cut into it and check for pinkness (lack of it).

Old 03-23-2024, 04:39 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
It's a sad state of affairs when some people are stymied due to not having a thermometer in their kitchen.

What's next? A/C on the fritz in the BMW?

Old 03-23-2024, 04:45 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Didn't you used to cook huge quantities of brisket on camping trips?
Yes we do.......but it has been cooked the week before and is taken to the campsite in coolers. It is warmed up over the campfire but as said, it was prepared in the oven, days before, tested for readiness with an analog thermometer stuck into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when some people are stymied due to not having a thermometer in their kitchen.

What's next? A/C on the fritz in the BMW?
It is a sad state of affairs when on a self sufficiency forum one asks a question of preparedness and instead of answers, many tease and abuse. "Humor" may be the new interchange.....but when it comes down to it, it doesn't fill the bellies.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:01 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,850,706 times
I have a cookbook that is so old it is for wood stoves. The directions say things like bake in a medium oven or a hot oven. How could the cooks tell? Practice and experience is my guess.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:30 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have a cookbook that is so old it is for wood stoves. The directions say things like bake in a medium oven or a hot oven. How could the cooks tell? Practice and experience is my guess.
Pretty much. I've seen recipes from the 'olden days' and the instructions are often pretty vague without precise measurements. Trial and error.

There's a neat channel of "Cooking 200 Years Ago" on Youtube where a woman prepares and cooks recipes that were published in the early 1800s, in a log cabin over fire with zero modern amenities. Here's one for a dinner of roasted chicken. They don't show the slaughter and plucking of the chicken, probably for time constraints and ew factor. She posts the original recipes at the end, and this one said "An hour is enough for common sized chickens to roast. A smart fire is better than a slow one, but they must be tended closely."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHipdvDt77A

Old 03-23-2024, 07:33 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Our kitchen at home has a commercial gas range with 6 burners. Though a few years ago, my Dw wanted a wood-fired cookstove. I got her a Kitchen Queen wood stove. Now it has become her primary stove for our meals.

https://kitchenqueenstoves.com/p/3-k...cook-stove-480

Old 03-23-2024, 07:40 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Hell I have a Dutch oven cookbook that illustrates what approximate temperature the coals are by how long you can hold your hand 6” from the coals. Chicken in a Dutch for an hour at 350deg- “Come and git it inya!!!”

My outdoor cooking masterpiece was cooking meatloaf in a dutch oven for 12 teenage scouts and a few parents. 10 lbs of meat, several cans of Rotel spicy crushed tomatoes and peppers, some oatmeal, eggs- all kinds of stuff in it. I have a super deep cast Dutch and it barely fit.

Cold, snow and rain and wind- even in a closed Dutch in a steel ring it took two large bags of Kingsford to cook it. The wind was whipping and reducing the temps. How did I know when it was done? When all the liquid it was sitting in finally boiled off and I got a little char on the bottom. And a knife inserted came out clean. I dumped the massive mound of meat on a clean plastic lid, shove a giant serving spoon in it and they tore that thing up in 10 minutes, lol.

I also make the biggest man cakes in camp.

Gotta 6-8" wide spatula too.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-23-2024 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-23-2024, 09:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
I have never owned a meat thermometer. I based my cook time on a set temperature & number of minutes/hours per pound of meat. This info is on the internet & before then in cookbooks, owners manuals, magazine articles. I also asked friends, co-workers, neighbors, my sister. I cooked big turkeys in the Weber kettle for years like this, & after enough experience, you just "know" by look & feel. I can do this in a dutch oven over a campfire, too, with venison, etc. & fish in a pan. It's not hard. You're a cowgirl. right? Build a fire & start experimenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness