Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 07:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I like the idea of a really bright flashlight and some kind of bug spray- both easily attainable. The idea of a recorded dog barking is good too.
Well two of those things are in everybody's camping kits so definitely easy to come by. The sound recording though... if one is going to use a sound recording to deter crime, why a barking dog? Why not a recording of 4-5 mafia sounding guys arguing over who gets to whack somebody? (I remember the dog recording thing used in a sitcom... I think it was Laverne and Shirley?)

While its true many crimes are not really thought out, around here the crooks do some amount of casing first. They don't have to hear my dogs because chances are, they've seen them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The primary benefit of a live dog versus a recording is the early warning aspect. That is rendered null and void if all one has is a recording.
What he said. My live in housekeeper came with her Shi-Tzu dog. Not really a guard dog per se, but he's quite intelligent and will bark vigorously at people he does not recognize. But does not bark incessantly at people he knows, nor squirrels, etc.

Most dogs seem to have a very good intuitive sense as to who is no good, and they take an immediate dislike to such people.

Now, if you want to go for a "real" guard dog, Alsatian, Pitt, Doberman, etc. - by all means go ahead. But these guys can cause problems if they make mistakes. Teddy, the little Shi-Tzu, would probably not actually bite anybody, and if he did, he wouldn't cause serious harm.

His job here is just to alert me. "Forget the dog - beware of owner!"

But, I do have firearms and training in using them.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:52 PM

1,113 posts, read 606,309 times
So far the consensus seems to be:

1) Dogs - for early warning, deterrent via dog barking and attack.
2) Bear spray or wasp spray.
3) Fortified doors, cameras, lights.
4) Various attack sticks / bats / hammers, etc.
5) Interesting pseudo attack gun - beanbag type.
6) Fire extinguisher.
7) Fake dog barking thingymabob.
8) NRA stickers (lol)

I love dogs, but TBH do not have the time to properly keep one. I think it's a huge responsibility to own a dog, you need to spend quality time with them and not just leave them all home all day by itself.

The bear spray item seems truly effective, however I've never seen it sold here in the past decade and suspect it's banned.

The wasp nest spray sounds truly interesting. I've used it a cpl times here and it has totally destroyed the wasp nest. I have no idea how "effective" it would be against a person though? What kinda chemicals are in it and how would it affect an intruder?

Same thing with the fire extinguisher - something that is useful to have anyways.

The fortified doors seems like a more likely option. I would need to find DIY options since I rather not spend thousands of $$$ changing my doors. (My friend recently bought a new house and part of the reno was a kick proof door costing $6,000 - which includes installation).

I will actually get a bat. Granted not exactly the most effective deterrent, but better than nothing. I do like those walking sticks someone posted... fancy looking and looks like it would hurt a lot.

Someone mentioned a crossbow. Interesting option... in the very least it's intimidating and I doubt somebody would want to take one for the team in a group breakin.

BTW, I didn't mean to give the impression that my neighbourhood has become some sort of crime infested area. Just saying that the violence has upticked nearby and I know my area isn't immune and just want to have some sort of plan ... just in case.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:06 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Definitely a doggie.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times
Default walking stick weapon

My father was a forest ranger. He carried a sturdy walking stick. The end of the walking stick was drilled out and filled with lead. He never used it as a weapon, but it would have caused a great deal of damage if he had. I watched him break a 2 x 4 once.

As far as something to sound an alarm, we had geese. We raised them for eggs and meat. They didn't miss anything and would sound the alarm many times before the dogs did.

One of our neighbors had guinea hens. Hated them. Once roused, they would not shut up!!

Old 04-13-2024, 09:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
So far the consensus seems to be:

1) Dogs - for early warning, deterrent via dog barking and attack.
2) Bear spray or wasp spray.
3) Fortified doors, cameras, lights.
4) Various attack sticks / bats / hammers, etc.
5) Interesting pseudo attack gun - beanbag type.
6) Fire extinguisher.
7) Fake dog barking thingymabob.
8) NRA stickers (lol)

I love dogs, but TBH do not have the time to properly keep one. I think it's a huge responsibility to own a dog, you need to spend quality time with them and not just leave them all home all day by itself.

The bear spray item seems truly effective, however I've never seen it sold here in the past decade and suspect it's banned.

The wasp nest spray sounds truly interesting. I've used it a cpl times here and it has totally destroyed the wasp nest. I have no idea how "effective" it would be against a person though? What kinda chemicals are in it and how would it affect an intruder?

Same thing with the fire extinguisher - something that is useful to have anyways.

The fortified doors seems like a more likely option. I would need to find DIY options since I rather not spend thousands of $$$ changing my doors. (My friend recently bought a new house and part of the reno was a kick proof door costing $6,000 - which includes installation).

I will actually get a bat. Granted not exactly the most effective deterrent, but better than nothing. I do like those walking sticks someone posted... fancy looking and looks like it would hurt a lot.

Someone mentioned a crossbow. Interesting option... in the very least it's intimidating and I doubt somebody would want to take one for the team in a group breakin.

BTW, I didn't mean to give the impression that my neighbourhood has become some sort of crime infested area. Just saying that the violence has upticked nearby and I know my area isn't immune and just want to have some sort of plan ... just in case.
Cabelas and Bass Pro sell bear spray.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/coun...y-with-holster

Old 04-14-2024, 09:09 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
I'm reading the responses here and they are all good if the intruder is a teenager looking for lunch money. But I think an addict high on meth, coming through the living room window, someone who couldn't recognize his own mother, that man wouldn't be stopped by a baseball bat, taser, bear spray, flashlight or a dog. Hell, he might even eat the dog unless it is a 200-lbs mastiff.

So in the very end the mother of all tools is the shotgun, and I know it is not an easy weapon to handle.

Last edited by mgforshort; 04-14-2024 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-14-2024, 09:17 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
... I think an addict high on meth, coming through the living room window, someone who couldn't recognize his own mother, would be stopped by a baseball bat, taser, bear spray, flashlight or a dog. Hell, he might even eat the dog unless it is a 200-lbs mastiff.
Wow, that is a very specific scenario.

Is that scenario commonplace in your area?

Quote:
... the mother of all tools is the shotgun, and I know it is not an easy weapon to handle.
So it would seem that you have never handled nor used a shotgun.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:51 AM

939 posts, read 390,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Try the flashlight on yourself, in any lighting other than direct sunlight; you'll be blinded long enough for an 85 y/o woman such as the below to grab her gun.

"While Condon was in the basement, the report said Jenneiahn dragged the chair she was handcuffed to into her bedroom and retrieved her 357 Magnum from under her pillow."

https://localnews8.com/news/blackfoo...ions-container

Now that Grandma has some moxy!
I have no doubt the flashlight can be blinding.......but your scenario made me chuckle. Granny carries her extremely bright flashlight just in case she needs to shine in an intruders eyes, temporarily blinding him, buying her enough time to grab her .357. Seems like too many extra steps to me. Granny should just carry her .357 and save herself all the extra work.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:01 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

791 posts, read 372,092 times
A cop friend turned me on to collapsible batons - I would vote that or a katana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness