Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 04:07 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,668,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The other couple did nothing additional to what they did before. Their mindset was, we weren't prepared for that one and made it through, if it happens again we will just figure it out again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Whenever I say that people learn exactly the wrong lesson from a disaster or pandemic, this is exactly what I am talking about.

Well, I don't believe they sat around doing nothing but waiting for help. For what it is worth, they recently passed from old age and not a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 05:06 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
After Hurricane Katrina, there were people in my neighborhood who literally sat on their porch and waited for someone to help them. I do not understand the mindset, and I would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself. They seemed unable to comprehend the extent of the disaster and were mentally 'frozen'.

I have wondered if these people would become violent if no one helped them. Would they become irrationally angry? Their response bewildered me.
There were several different circumstances and courses of action that surrounded New Orleans, in the week before and month after the Hurricane. Most of the disaster showed lack of preparation, lack of adapting to new circumstances, dysfunctions of pride and ego. Some of it showed looting and other opportunism, including political opportunists who used the disaster (and propaganda about it) to further their own marxist ambitions.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:03 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
keeping cash is part of prepping, relying on credit and debit cards wont work once the power is off.
The same goes for checks. After a powerful tropical storm knocked the power/communications out here, the local store put up signs that nobody could miss that said CASH ONLY! NO CREDIT! NO CHECKS! NO EXCEPTIONS! On the doors before going in, throughout the store, and at the registers.

Sure enough, the two people in line in front of us were trying to pay with checks. This had apparently been happening all day because the cashier was like "CAN'T YOU READ?! NO CREDIT! NO CHECKS! NO EXCEPTIONS!" and then it was our turn and she barked, DO YOU HAVE CASH? THAT'S ALL WE ACCEPT RIGHT NOW!

She didn't appreciate my joke, "I have Bitcoin!"

yeah, no crypto either. Even though the signs didn't say so!

Old 04-20-2024, 01:02 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
when we had the covid lockdowns over here it went the other way, card only would not accept cash.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:26 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,261,224 times
We prepped well for IAN and will do so again for the next one. I live far enough away from the coast that I am not in a flood zone so I don’t have to deal with that. I have been through 3 hurricanes in Florida and was prepared for each. Most of my elderly neighbors bug out but I’m not doing that. Get plenty of water, food, gasoline for the generator, cash, and propane for the grill, install the hurricane shutters, and ride it out. We took the brunt of IAN and did suffer roof damage, but nothing life threatening. At the mention of a bad hurricane many people are fear driven but if they would remain calm and rationally prepare for it they would be fine.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,276,819 times
If the local government tells me to 'get out', I will get out. In old New Orleans, houses were built with access to the roof. Houses were built 1-2' above the ground. An axe was sunk in one of the rafters in the attic. Over the years this was discontinued. Putting an axe in one of the rafters was regarded as serious as nailing an evergreen bough to the highest point of the house. Slab houses were cheaper to build. After all, the pumps would always keep New Orleans from flooding too badly!

During Hurricane Katrina, people died in their attics because they could no longer reach the roof. People died because they underestimated the power of the storm. They did not anticipate the tornadoes that the hurricane spawned. Or the depth of the water. Or how long it would take to recover.

If I had to do it over, I would have left town. Living thru it was only the start. Weeks and weeks of no electricity, no phone (towers went down), no supplies, no creature comforts, roads blocked by debris, worries about crime, praying that there would be no medical emergency . . . trust me, it was not pretty.

If a person needed insulin, and had no electricity, that person was in real danger of dying. Still, people believed the state when they were assured that all was under control. My parish reps were telling us to get out. That this hurricane was going to be THE BAD ONE. I did not believe them because I had lived thru a number of hurricanes and was prepared. I never dreamed how extreme a hurricane could be.

Even after all these years, I still watch the news. I am far more likely believe that the worst that can happen will happen.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:19 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
I never believe what local govt tells me, I know what I must do in an emergency and I have the supplies and tools to get it done.
cant say that for the rest of the population but then thats their problem.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:11 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
On a slightly different note - I have NY friends coming to stay with me for a few days. Well, while these are good people with good values and blind as bats as to the State of the Union.

During last years visit, when discussing the southern border implications, the husband made a speech about “will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” Like he's going to single handedly defend the country when some distant crisis occurs. Never mind the 7.2M illegals, an amount greater than population of 36 states, which entered the US in the last four years.

This weekend, I'll skip any discussions because whatever I says will perceived as unhinged. Besides, they firmly believe that God will provide in a SHTF situation. Maybe, I'm crazy and God will provide for them. Who knows?

Old 04-24-2024, 12:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Veery old joke from Cajun country. Hurricane is closing in. Man prays 'God take care of me, I have faith in you'. A car pulls up, driver yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care of me'. Water rises, man retreats to roof. Boat pulls up, pilot yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care of me'. Water rises up to his waist. A helicopter drops down. Pilot yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care if me'. Man drowns, gets to heaven and asks God 'Why didn't you take care of me?' God replies "Dummy, I sent you a car, a boat and a helicopter!'

God gave us brains and expects us to use them. I never understand why people do dumb things and blame God for the bad result.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:12 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Veery old joke from Cajun country. Hurricane is closing in. Man prays 'God take care of me, I have faith in you'. A car pulls up, driver yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care of me'. Water rises, man retreats to roof. Boat pulls up, pilot yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care of me'. Water rises up to his waist. A helicopter drops down. Pilot yells 'get in'. Man replies 'No thanks. God will take care if me'. Man drowns, gets to heaven and asks God 'Why didn't you take care of me?' God replies "Dummy, I sent you a car, a boat and a helicopter!'

God gave us brains and expects us to use them. I never understand why people do dumb things and blame God for the bad result.
Yep!

When relative died less than 24 hours after a botched surgery, this couple decided not to react or sue because "God chooses the day we die." It's a weird mix of religion with an obedience bordering on passive nihilism. Perhaps, it's even a form of depression.

My guess is they aren't alone! Some people don't prep because "it's all God's will."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness