Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 07:24 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
On a slightly different note - I have NY friends coming to stay with me for a few days. Well, while these are good people with good values and blind as bats as to the State of the Union.

During last years visit, when discussing the southern border implications, the husband made a speech about “will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” Like he's going to single handedly defend the country when some distant crisis occurs. Never mind the 7.2M illegals, an amount greater than population of 36 states, which entered the US in the last four years.

This weekend, I'll skip any discussions because whatever I says will perceived as unhinged. Besides, they firmly believe that God will provide in a SHTF situation. Maybe, I'm crazy and God will provide for them. Who knows?
Just visited my brother who insists there is no illegal immigration problem, he doesn't personally see it when he works in the SW states and we must just be brainwashed by Fox News. He believes in science. He's also an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 04:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Yep!

My guess is they aren't alone! Some people don't prep because "it's all God's will."
James 2:17: "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

Proverbs 6:6-8: "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

1 Timothy 5:8: "Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their immediate family, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

2 Thessalonians 3:10: "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, they should not eat."

Old Today, 06:23 AM

8,931 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
... it was our turn and she barked, DO YOU HAVE CASH? THAT'S ALL WE ACCEPT RIGHT NOW!

She didn't appreciate my joke, "I have Bitcoin!"

yeah, no crypto either. Even though the signs didn't say so!
There are some days that people just don't enjoy a great sense of humor

Old Today, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
James 2:17: "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

Proverbs 6:6-8: "Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

1 Timothy 5:8: "Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their immediate family, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

2 Thessalonians 3:10: "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, they should not eat."
Thanks for bringing some truth to this subject, as there are too many people who are under the false impression that it is unChristian to prep.

Quite the opposite:
Ephesians 4:28 says: "let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need." (English Standard Version)

This dovetails with 1Tim 5:8, and implies that we need to store up, for ourselves, and then more, so that we can be a blessing to others who are in need. Of course, this means honest need, otherwise it would conflict with 2 Thess 3:10. (There is no conflict, if you know the scriptures, you know that we are to help those who are helpless, but not those who lazy, or foolish.)

Old Today, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
If the local government tells me to 'get out', I will get out.
Even after all these years, I still watch the news. I am far more likely believe that the worst that can happen will happen.
It depends on the situation.

It makes sense, if the local government is talking about something they understand. In the case of N.O. and a hurricane, most people should trust them.

If it was the Mayor of Atlanta, and the outset of a war, not so much.
(Atlanta mayors don't usually study war.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I never believe what local govt tells me, I know what I must do in an emergency and I have the supplies and tools to get it done.
cant say that for the rest of the population but then thats their problem.
In almost every case, where you are, you will probably know more than the gov about anything they are talking about, so this makes sense.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Thanks for bringing some truth to this subject, as there are too many people who are under the false impression that it is unChristian to prep.
It's true! As Countrysue said people are still dumb.

There are people who filed their federal income tax form on April 15 - ten minutes before midnight.

They will use any excuse - it's unChristian to prep, the government will save me, it's never going to happen, etc. to put if off until ten minutes before midnight.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quote:
It's true! As Countrysue said people are still dumb.

There are people who filed their federal income tax form on April 15 - ten minutes before midnight.

They will use any excuse - it's unChristian to prep, the government will save me, it's never going to happen, etc. to put if off until ten minutes before midnight.
I have often said that people of my own faith are bad at preparing for the future (we are always expecting The Rapture, at any moment )

I just figure, if the Rapture comes today, God will figure out what to do with my stuff, LoL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness