Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:13 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,291,040 times

Advertisements

Don't forget to check the gun laws. And, prepare yourself to fit in with the natives. Join a church, go to local sporting events and cheer for the locals. If you are in the south, smile and waive at passing cars and go to the local festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 08:36 AM

9,051 posts, read 4,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Don't forget to check the gun laws. And, prepare yourself to fit in with the natives. Join a church, go to local sporting events and cheer for the locals. If you are in the south, smile and waive at passing cars and go to the local festivals.
Good advice. Even in the redoubts, there can be some variation in gun laws.

And, if you don't get to know the locals, you may find them less and less hospitable.

They don't cater to new people, they expect new people to make the first move.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 AM

2,169 posts, read 1,090,484 times
Quote:
Don't forget to check the gun laws. And, prepare yourself to fit in with the natives.
Your comment made me think of the phrase “the natives are getting restless”.
Maybe they/we are?

Old 04-28-2024, 10:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,245,535 times
Looking to buy property in the USA or even anywhere in the west as a "bug out" sanctuary, or place to live off grid, is probably going to turn out to be a hopeless endeavor for those wishing to be safe from some future upheaval or breakdown of society.

Fleeing to Siberia made sense in Russia 120 years ago, for those seeking to flee the upheaval building there at that time. The Soviets were bad, but it was the Dark Ages comparitively. In such a huge remote uninhabited expanse of the Russian interior, there were literally hundreds of people who lived off-grid COMPLETELY through the whole Communist era. Undetected, unreachable and self-sufficient with a small footprint.

But the same strategy isn't going to work here now. It's a whole different world.

The only real option to go off grid and escape what is ultimately going to a fair chance of AT LEAST a limited nuclear war that devastates Eurasia and the Northern Hemisphere of the Americas, is to flee to some of the remotest places on Earth, preferably in the South Seas. Even if such a war never happens, the odds of a global high tech surveillance state taking shape seem all but inevitable by the end of the century. Having happened after one or two world wars between the major players - possibly nuclear.

I don't think it's possible to over-exaggerate the possibilities now, given the shape and momentum of today's geo-politics and how the game board is about to be overturned, shaken, flipped and re-imagined completely. It will NO LONGER be an option to just hide out and resist right under the Gestapo's very noses.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:48 AM

I disagree.

Of course, moving to The Redoubts won't keep you away from all of the madness for all of the future, but many of us moved here to get away from the madness that has enveloped our own country for a dozen years, and hope to stay away from that madness, as much as possible, for the next dozen years.

In addition, The Redoubts provide a buffer in times of moderately severe SHTF. We have water, food, and (mostly) conservative people (people who know the difference between working for a living and robbing someone, or looting) surrounding us.

That isn't to say we don't have our problems, but in comparison to somewhere like LA, Portland or Minneapolis, this is paradise.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:39 AM

7,435 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
But the same strategy isn't going to work here now. It's a whole different world.

Even if such a war never happens, the odds of a global high tech surveillance state taking shape seem all but inevitable by the end of the century. Having happened after one or two world wars between the major players - possibly nuclear.

I don't think it's possible to over-exaggerate the possibilities now, given the shape and momentum of today's geo-politics and how the game board is about to be overturned, shaken, flipped and re-imagined completely. It will NO LONGER be an option to just hide out and resist right under the Gestapo's very noses.
We are being watched, tracked, observed constantly. Not just by the government.

Quote:
Several dating apps, including Bumble, Tinder and Match, used images circulated from the Capitol grounds to identify and block suspects' accounts starting in January.

"A small amount of users were reported or caught by the Bumble AI and were immediately banned,” a Bumble source told ABC News.

“We always encourage our community to block and report anyone who is acting against our guidelines, and we have already banned users who have used our platform to spread insurrectionist content or who have attempted to organize and incite terrorism,” Bumble said in a statement to the Washington Post. “As always, if someone has or is in the process of committing a potentially criminal act on our platform, we will take the appropriate steps with law enforcement.”

At the same time, social media posts showed that some people purposefully used the apps to "catfish" for Capitol rioters -- changing their political preference to conservative to catch users who boasted about participating in the riot and report them.

Amanda Spataro, a 25-year-old from Tampa, Florida, told the Washington Post she felt it was her "civic duty" to look for rioters on dating apps. She said she found a man on Bumble who had a picture that appeared to come from the insurrection, and in response to a prompt about his "perfect first date" he wrote, "storming the Capitol."

After conversing with him, she said he claimed he visited the Capitol and sent photos as proof. She then contacted the FBI.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/capitol-ri...ry?id=77265559

So yeah, there is no place to hide from the Gestapo - NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I disagree.
In addition, The Redoubts provide a buffer in times of moderately severe SHTF. We have water, food, and (mostly) conservative people (people who know the difference between working for a living and robbing someone, or looting) surrounding us.
Two different things - Led Zeppelin talking about government control of everything and TRex2 is talking about a full breakdown of society.

Which one will be the SHFT? IDK!

Old 04-29-2024, 09:40 AM

21 posts, read 31,064 times
Rabbit, I like your advice, but the problem is I dont have the cash up front to begin this operation. I got 50-100k max, and thats all savings. What I am trying to avoid is getting a heavy mortgage and permanently being tied down to how expensive it is (one of the reasons I am looking to leave CO and why PNW doesnt look like a good alternative)

Whats the 5% on contract part you mean, I am not sure what you are saying.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
We are being watched, tracked, observed constantly. Not just by the government.
True.
While most people are concerned about big brother, big sister is watching, as well.

Big Brother: Federal or International governing agencies.

Big Sister: Large Multinational Corporations

Little Brother: local government (remember the sheriff that raided the newspaper?)

Little Sister: small companies or corporations (that may be harvesting data to sell)

Old Today, 08:04 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,291,040 times
My son-in-law now wants to move to a remote area when he retires. He said living remote would make him feel safe. I told him he needed to think this through. He wants to move into the Smokies. I told him there is a reason the Smokies are not heavily populated.

Installing a septic tank in the mountains is a challenge. Ditto for drilling a well.

Electricity is iffy. Personally, I like my cool air in summer and heat in winter. My experience with fireplaces . . they heat one room really well.

Stores are a mountainous drive away. All of your supplies must be planned ahead, and you must have space to store them.

Not much to do. I have a collection of DVDs that keep me entertained when there is nothing on the boob tube. I go to exercise classes at the Y and out for coffee and donuts with some of my class friends afterwards. I take classes in the local college.

Not much opportunity to socialize. I am a social person, even tho I also enjoy my own company.

Health care in the mountains is not good.

Close to nature. There are numerous parts of nature I want no part of. Fire ants, termites, critters, in a remote area you are truly just another part of nature.

I would miss my family. Right now, I am within an hour's drive to my kinfolks. We have birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations together. I would miss that.

I like my small town that is within driving distance of a city with a population of 50,000+.

I told him we would sit down and discuss this. (My daughter told me he could move to the mountains; she would take the dogs and move in with me.)

Old Today, 08:56 AM

7,435 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
I would miss my family. Right now, I am within an hour's drive to my kinfolks. We have birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations together. I would miss that.

I told him we would sit down and discuss this. (My daughter told me he could move to the mountains; she would take the dogs and move in with me.)
As I age, all that really matters is spending time with my family. Money, possessions, travel, etc. fade away. The time we spend with our loved ones is more valuable. It's non-negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness