Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times

Advertisements

I got a few.
Survival Magazine forums
Backwoods magazine forums
Gardenweb
Self Sufficient forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:50 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
Some Naturopathic, Holistic and Homeopathic remedies and references:

(high quality) Colloidal Silver: anti-microbial
Silver sulfadiazine: topical anti-microbial (some Rx brands are FDA approved)
LDM-100 (Lomatium dissectum): anti-microbial
"Nerve Restore" by Quantum Herbal: tremors and seizures
Serrapeptase: cataracts and ocular health

The 10 Essential Herbs by Lalitha Thomas
Healthy Healing by Dr Linda-Rector Page PhD N.D
Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balches
Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr Pitcairn DVM.
The New Natural Cat, or the newer version The Natural Cat by Anita Frazier
Encyclopedia of Natural Health by Dr Michael Murray NMD

www.holistichealthline.com
www.healthy.net
www.healthyhealing.com

www.pandamedicine.com
http://www.doctormurray.com/

Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,606 times
Pretty amazing! (Sorry if it's been posted before.)

How 1 MILLION Pounds Of Organic Food Can Be Produced On 3 Acres | Wake Up World

Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM

Pretty nifty link there Stonecypher. I've looked into aquaponics a lot, and it could really work in many areas of the US & world. Not here, unfortunately, it's just too cold in the winter for the plants and fish to survive without a LOT of additional heat; but we could probably extend our growing season a few months and run the fish as "annuals" instead of "perennials". Wonder if this system would work with shrimp/crayfish instead of tilapia (not my fave)?

I wonder how grains, fruit trees/shrubs and larger livestock would factor into/onto an intensive greenhouse scenario like this. I'm sure you could probably get nearly the same ratio of food:space with rotational grazing pigs/chickens/rabbits/goats in a pasture/field/garden system with an attached orchard...

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Pretty nifty link there Stonecypher.Wonder if this system would work with shrimp/crayfish instead of tilapia (not my fave)?

I wonder how grains, fruit trees/shrubs and larger livestock would factor into/onto an intensive greenhouse scenario like this. I'm sure you could probably get nearly the same ratio of food:space with rotational grazing pigs/chickens/rabbits/goats in a pasture/field/garden system with an attached orchard...
God, I love the Internet...

Check this out, Missing!

Aquaponics at home | Grow your own Vegetables, Fruit, Fish and Crayfish | Gympie Qld Australia Rustic Lodge (http://www.rusticlodgealpacas.com/Aquaponics/aquaponics1.html - broken link)

As for your second paragraph of "wondering," I'll bet you could use this concept and build on it:

Save time and energy with the fenced chicken coop/garden by John Silveira Issue #44

I'd love to hear about any experiments with intensive bioculture systems that work in your climate.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM

University of Alaska has been doing lots of research on growing dwarf orchards and fruiting shrubs in high tunnels. While most people don't have to worry about trees actually freezing to death in the winter like we do, the use of high tunnels may allow them to grow varieties that are a zone or two warmer than theirs and to extend the growing season.
Cooperative Extension Service | Fruit Trees

Other good uses of high tunnels in ag:
High Tunnel Agriculture
High Tunnels For Growers

Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Well DRAT! Just found out that farming, even for personal use, non-native fin fish (tilapia/perch) and shellfish (crayfish/freshwater shrimp), is illegal in Alaska since native fisheries are a major industry. None of the native species of freshwater fish are appropriate for aquaponics on a homestead scale off-grid

ETA: I can legally purchase Red Claw Crayfish as "ornamentals" in a living room fish tank scenario; but if Fish & Game ever found that I had a "farm" situation and was eating them I'd be fined, and the specimens and system confiscated.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Well DRAT! Just found out that farming, even for personal use, non-native fin fish (tilapia/perch) and shellfish (crayfish/freshwater shrimp), is illegal in Alaska since native fisheries are a major industry. None of the native species of freshwater fish are appropriate for aquaponics on a homestead scale off-grid

ETA: I can legally purchase Red Claw Crayfish as "ornamentals" in a living room fish tank scenario; but if Fish & Game ever found that I had a "farm" situation and was eating them I'd be fined, and the specimens and system confiscated.
Well, that sucks! How about native trout and/or carp?

This guy up your way is doing it, with a strange fetish for JackieO thrown into the aquaponics setup:

Aquaponics: Weirdo’s Farm at Girdwood Alaska Backpackers Inn | Hostel Life in Girdwood, Alaska

And this setup in Wales uses trout aquaponics:

AngleseyPonics - Aquaponics

To think we used to catch buckets of native crayfish in the streams around where I lived as a child (Eugene, Oregon) and how they were just part of the ecosystem...

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Weird Cafe, the JackieO worshipper, uses goldfish in a micro environment to educate about aquaponics, he doesn't try to eat the fishies just the salad greens. ("JackieO pooped on my salad")

Arctic Char and Graylings could work in a large scale, high volume recirculation system, and some Canadian Fisheries have been testing aquaponic solutions with them. Seems ADF&G are also a little snippy about farming a native wild species, so that's a no-go as well. Not that we could afford a system that large on our acreage anyway... it's cheaper to go to the creek and cast a net (fish are very plentiful up here) than to burn several gallons of fuel everyday to keep several hundred gallons of water moving and warm enough not to freeze up.

I'd be interested in small scale freshwater crustaceans since we're far enough from the sea to make crab & shrimp expensive, but trouts & salmons are plentiful in the nearby creeks and rivers. Just have to use chicken and bunny poo, and some big worm bins (there are no earthworms in Interior Alaska either, but you can legally farm them). A fishing trip to the coast once or twice a year (or befriending a fisherman!) will stock us up on shrimp, crab, cod and halibut.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM

The "ULTIMATE" Prep List (multi-media):

The ULTIMATE checklist for emergency preparedness supplies.. | Learn How to be Prepared (http://learnhowtobeprepared.com/2011/11/the-ultimate-checklist-for-emergency-preparedness-supplies/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-ultimate-checklist-for-emergency-preparedness-supplies - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness