Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

^ Excellent link, lots of great info to get the prepping juices flowing. Thx!

I esp. like the reminder to order extra eyeglasses. On that note, I would also suggest that you stock up on cheap no-RX reading glasses, at least one pair in every magnification because you never know how long an emergency will last and age-related issues might start cropping up. At the very least they offer magnification for reading tiny print on maps and manuals, and even for starting fires "Lord of the Flies" style. And if you buy several in the same style, you can easily snap the nose bridge and affix two different halves together if your eyes are different.

For those with significantly poor eyesight, who are pretty much blind without corrective lenses, I would also suggest getting laser surgery now if it's appropriate and you can afford it.

It may seem drastic to get surgery as a prep... but after going through several earthquakes and car accidents where I lost or damaged my lenses, I can attest to how completely frightening not being able to see in an emergency really is... your ability to assess risks, find resources, and travel to safety becomes severely limited. Since getting the surgery, I may still develop presbyopia (old-timer's far-sightedness), but I'm not nearsighted or have as major an astigmatism anymore. (one eye is better than 20/20, the other is a teeny bit less than 20/20, but that's way better than 225!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
The One-Acre Mini Farm Plan has some good ideas for organic market gardening:

http://www.new-terra-natural-food.co...-farm-plan.pdf

Rather than post this in a thread, I thought it would be most valuable as a Sticky item.

Someday soon I'm going to construct my very own "pigloo" and start raising PIGGIES on my two acres!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Links to some Useful Gear discussions in this forum:

Survival Tools for your bug-out bag
Cold weather sleeping bags
Survival fishing gear

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
for all your airgun needs.

AirGun Depot - Air rifles - Air soft guns - BB guns - Pellet guns - Pellet rifles - Air pistols

Old 12-31-2011, 06:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
RuggedSurvival.com Home

If this links they claim to be real survival kits.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Alpha Disaster Contingencies

for those that want some more info.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM

27 posts, read 45,127 times
Adding my 2 cents...

Site dedicated to long term food and water storage

General survival site for those new to preparedness

Information about the zeer pot (a refrigerator that requires no electricity)

Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 11,872 times
Default RuggedSurvival.com site...I'm luvin this place.

hey waitingTundra, i went to your site. For a wilderness survival kit they look pretty sweet. Picked up the hiker kit for $99.

And no everyone, its not a camping kit or one of those "live off the land for weeks" kits either. and it doesn't have 400 parts to it and doesn't weigh 14 pounds. Come to think of it, its just about perfect for me.

Thank you for the find. You never know, it might save my life one day. [url=http://www.ruggedsurvival.com]RuggedSurvival.com Home[/url]

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

The USDA Farmer's Bulletins and Technical Bulletins, especially pre-industrial, can be an invaluable source of information even if some of the data is outmoded. Unfortunately, many of these are out of print and can sometimes be extremely difficult to find. The National Agricultural Library (NAL) may not even have a copy in their physical archives or digital collection. You can contact NAL to see if they have a specific bulletin, but you normally have better luck hunting in state and (land grant) college libraries and local extension offices; occasionally you can find them online from these and other sources.

The US Army Field Manuals, Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) Engineer Manuals, and US Army Medical Department's (AMEDD) Virtual Library also has a lot of useful information. Most of the active editions are available free online. Printed versions (including some inactive editions) are often available through the department, in local libraries and recruiting offices, and through booksellers such as Amazon.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The USDA Farmer's Bulletins and Technical Bulletins, especially pre-industrial, can be an invaluable source of information even if some of the data is outmoded. Unfortunately, many of these are out of print and can sometimes be extremely difficult to find. The National Agricultural Library (NAL) may not even have a copy in their physical archives or digital collection. You can contact NAL to see if they have a specific bulletin, but you normally have better luck hunting in state and (land grant) college libraries and local extension offices; occasionally you can find them online from these and other sources.

The US Army Field Manuals, Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) Engineer Manuals, and US Army Medical Department's (AMEDD) Virtual Library also has a lot of useful information. Most of the active editions are available free online. Printed versions (including some inactive editions) are often available through the department, in local libraries and recruiting offices, and through booksellers such as Amazon.
Original material is frequently an excellent investment as well. Paper investments can be hard investments.

Libraries become more valuable year after year both for the information they contain and the prices they bring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness