Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 09:44 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's a part of it. OTOH when a store has to close because ONE employee calls out sick (which I personally know of multiple instances) that's on the employer for being so tight with their budgets and scheduling. I'm honestly sort of flabbergasted that they choose to close down instead of hiring an extra employee or two. Which would cost them more in the long run, extra wages or loss of business?
I think the problem is that a well-trained employee will ask for the times he wants off ahead of time. Today I know for a fact they call in at the last moment and many of them don't call in at all. Just don't go.

My daughter owns her own business and she's working too hard. I keep telling her to hire help. She says they've all been more work than doing it herself. Always on their phones, drama, don't take initiative. Her last employee wanted two weeks off for her birthday! When she didn't get it she just didn't come to work.

She's got thirty-four years in the business so she's got something to compare it to. Hard to offer more cash to people who expect to work less.

I think this dollar store expects to close down and doesn't want to bother with rehiring. One by one we watch all the little strip malls go empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:52 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think the problem is that a well-trained employee will ask for the times he wants off ahead of time. Today I know for a fact they call in at the last moment and many of them don't call in at all. Just don't go.

My daughter owns her own business and she's working too hard. I keep telling her to hire help. She says they've all been more work than doing it herself. Always on their phones, drama, don't take initiative. Her last employee wanted two weeks off for her birthday! When she didn't get it she just didn't come to work.

She's got thirty-four years in the business so she's got something to compare it to. Hard to offer more cash to people who expect to work less.

I think this dollar store expects to close down and doesn't want to bother with rehiring. One by one we watch all the little strip malls go empty.
Truly amazing some of these young people. I'm so sorry your daughter has to work so hard. It shouldn't be that hard.

And let's turn the strip malls into dog parks! I vote for dog parks everywhere!

Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 AM

629 posts, read 409,182 times
Just my take, but I thought these dollar stores pioneered shrinkflation, like 30 years ago?

I thought that was their gimmick, selling you 3 oz bars of soap instead of 4 oz, and stuff like that.

I think they regularly buy attic stock from other retailers going out of business, and put that "normal" sized merchandise out on shelves too, but that's just a one-off...."when it's gone, it's gone" etc......which can mislead someone into a false sense of comfort.

But I've been seeing deodorant sticks (etc etc) with reduced content there for years

Old 08-09-2022, 03:07 PM

880 posts, read 564,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1. Some of my regulars were painting tools (brushes, rollers, roller covers), cleaning products & supplies (LA Awesome Cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, brooms, toilet/dish brushes), food items (dried beans, Libby green beans, 79 cents) canned tomatoes, tea, spices, one quart bottles of lemon & lime juice, not reconstituted), personal care items (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton pads, OTC meds) misc. household (ziploc bags, trash bags, food containers).

It was understandable, I guess, that during the covid years that merchandise was scare. But in the past year, all items are now $1.25, many items are out of existence, or have been scaled down to not even be worth the price. My favorite box of green tea bags now contains 60, not 100. Stick deodorant & body powder contain less. Laundry detergent is about 1/4 size than before, just a few examples.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.

I think we all know why this is happening, and it has nothing to do with Dollar Tree.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:29 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

While I agree that new hires are often more work than just doing it yourself, and that younger people seem to often have a different work ethic, I am referring to the fact that chains with many locations, such as dollar tree, etc. are currently so $ tight that they will only schedule two employees total to cover a shift. If one of those employees is legitimately sick or otherwise unable to make their shift there is often no backup to call and the store closes for that shift.
I got dreadfully sick at work one evening, and I simply couldn't function. They were unable to call anyone in so the store lost all business for nearly eight hours. Same scenario for a coworker that had to suddenly go to the ER for an unforeseen health crisis. And the business next door to us has closed several times for the same types of issues. These are large, recognizable, national chains! All because they run such a bare bones operation that they have no extra people available to call in the event of an unplanned absence.
I have never in all my life seen companies do this up until Covid, when they had to start paying more to get employees to come in. It baffles me that they would rather repeatedly lose hours of sales instead of hiring a couple more part timers so that there would be some sort of backup, can't help but think there's some sort of nose cutting going on there.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:36 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
While I agree that new hires are often more work than just doing it yourself, and that younger people seem to often have a different work ethic, I am referring to the fact that chains with many locations, such as dollar tree, etc. are currently so $ tight that they will only schedule two employees total to cover a shift. If one of those employees is legitimately sick or otherwise unable to make their shift there is often no backup to call and the store closes for that shift.
I got dreadfully sick at work one evening, and I simply couldn't function. They were unable to call anyone in so the store lost all business for nearly eight hours. Same scenario for a coworker that had to suddenly go to the ER for an unforeseen health crisis. And the business next door to us has closed several times for the same types of issues. These are large, recognizable, national chains! All because they run such a bare bones operation that they have no extra people available to call in the event of an unplanned absence.
I have never in all my life seen companies do this up until Covid, when they had to start paying more to get employees to come in. It baffles me that they would rather repeatedly lose hours of sales instead of hiring a couple more part timers so that there would be some sort of backup, can't help but think there's some sort of nose cutting going on there.
I hear what you are saying. There are varying circumstances.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:49 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
I noticed downsizing even before the price change. I got their plastic ramekins, but must be kind of hard on them, because all but one got broken. I bought a new set; the new ones are smaller and thinner (and more fragile) than the old one. But a similar product at Walmart still costs 3-4 times as much.

I bought four dinner plates, then bought four more six months later. The new ones are nearly an inch smaller.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:13 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
I do believe that there is a lot of downward pressure on costs — people are very concerned about spending money now.

There’s a feeling that times are not good and the stuffs going to hit the fan at any moment. And it’s been this way for a while. I have noticed it everywhere.

Clothing is getting thinner and cheaper in quality, but not in price. Food packaging with the shrinkflation. When I was in California, a ton of thrift stores went out of business. And one of the reasons was they had to pay rent and wages just like everybody else, but their clothing prices which was their biggest seller, were actually higher than if you went to Kohl’s and used their points and coupons and sales. They couldn’t beat that price point and stay in business.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:09 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Does anybody see the "frog in the boiling water" happening going on here?

I like Dollar Tree, and since I am single this doesn't affect me as it does families/multiple people households. It is scary what the future holds for our younger generations, families, friends and loved ones. At my age I can weather it, but those coming up behind me are in for a harder life and don't realize it because they are slowly being conditioned to accept what is being done to the masses by government.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:52 AM

30,142 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.
The Dollar Tree in my town is only a couple years old. Its fully stocked and looks as good as ever. Yeah its too bad they went to $1.25. But if a particular item has gone up in price past the point where it wont sell at $1.25 Dollar Tree has to either stop selling it which would upset some customers or shrink the package size. That is the situation we are in.

On top of that there is a labor shortage. Its effecting all sorts of businesses all over the country. There are restaurants in my town the close down some days because they simply do not have enough help. And those working are expected to work harder and more hours to keep the store maintained. You should probably give them some slack until things get more stable out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products