Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times

Advertisements

FWIW: I've found Chicago, New York and Boston to be somewhat similar in that you have bigger cities but with very specific neighborhood "demographic types". Those neighborhoods aren't called: "Southie" or "Little Italy", etc. for no reason. FWIW, I found the San Fernando Valley and parts of L.A. to be a bit racist in my travels. Shreveport-Bossier's problem is just too fundamentally Southern Baptist. I honestly know people who appear to be of sound mind who believe the world is just 5,000 yrs old and that man lived among the dinosaurs before the "Great Flood". Scary but true. :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
I've lived in Shreveport my entire life until last year, when I moved to NOLA. I'm so happy I made the move. My complaints are the same as every bodies: nothing to do, nothing to look forward to, racial tension so thick you can anticipate the opposite race being dismissive towards you, no random friendliness, etc. Same ol boring stuff, stuck in a economic and social rut for the past 20 years.

I'm so happy to be in a place where everybody is friendly. Black people are actually NICE to me here... imagine that! I'm transgender (although I've been told it's really hard to tell that I am) and my roommate is gay, and we are NEVER treated oddly. I really like that it doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in, you'll see a rainbow flag flying around somewhere. The day after we moved in, our neighbor came out and shared a drink with us while we got to know each other on our porch. On top of all of that, I haven't heard the question "What church do you go to?" since I've been here!

I wouldn't move back to that dirt stain for anything short of 5 million dollars.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I've lived in Shreveport my entire life until last year, when I moved to NOLA. I'm so happy I made the move. My complaints are the same as every bodies: nothing to do, nothing to look forward to, racial tension so thick you can anticipate the opposite race being dismissive towards you, no random friendliness, etc. Same ol boring stuff, stuck in a economic and social rut for the past 20 years.

I'm so happy to be in a place where everybody is friendly. Black people are actually NICE to me here... imagine that! I'm transgender (although I've been told it's really hard to tell that I am) and my roommate is gay, and we are NEVER treated oddly. I really like that it doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in, you'll see a rainbow flag flying around somewhere. The day after we moved in, our neighbor came out and shared a drink with us while we got to know each other on our porch. On top of all of that, I haven't heard the question "What church do you go to?" since I've been here!

I wouldn't move back to that dirt stain for anything short of 5 million dollars.
There aren't many places I love more than New Orleans. The live music, the food, the architecture, the history...and the people are GOLDEN! My wife was born and raised in the new Gentilly area, which is still somewhat in disrepair. My absolute favorite thing about NOLA is that no matter your race, background, education, sexuality, or religion...everybody still comes together to have a good time with beignet for breakfast and cocktail for lunch.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
So true. It's the most family like major city I've ever been to. I've had long conversations with the most random people and loved it!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Ahhh I hated living there too, and being military I had always loved anywhere. I just could *not* get with it there in Shreve/BC though. Just couldn't.

And I agree with the poster who said outsiders thought it was all like New Orleans. I swear everyone kept asking me if I was spending my evenings in the French Quarter or how often I got to New Orleans or if I went every weekend to... the beach? Huh? I'm like uh you know I'm like a 6 hour drive from that? I'd get no response. And then there where the ones that literally thought it was like "Steel Magnolias" or something of the sort with Dolly Parton taking you in with her southern charms and cooking you a homemade pie or something.

But for the record, some of the nicest people I ever met... but I'm not really one that needs to talk to strangers in the store, either.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:50 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I am 17, I have a 31 on the ACT, and I don't like hot weather. Cold weather doesn't phase me as much, for some reason. I have always lived in Haughton, but I know from traveling around the country that Louisiana can't hold me. Alaska is a very progressive state, and Anchorage is cheaper than SF (about the only city in that state cheaper than SF…). You might want to go there…
I'm still stuck here, except I moved with my mom from Haughton to Shreveport. Shreveport is even worse! Now 20, and working on a education degree, I intend to get a national certification and go somewhere else.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Magic Qwan: I'd love to look into Anchorage, but I HATE the cold half as much as I hate North Louisiana. Haughton is the pits... Let me know how it works out for you in Alaska. You might make me throw on a jacket and head that way!

BeenThereDunThat: I really want to get out of this region. All of my grade schooling was in Texas so Dallas and Houston feel like the same ole, same ole...Plus Texas is the "buckle" of the bible belt and my wife and I are agnostic
As an atheist, I know how frustrating being in the bible belt can be. That is why in May 2018, I am either going to the navy or the air force, but I'm leaning navy.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I am 17, I have a 31 on the ACT, and I don't like hot weather. Cold weather doesn't phase me as much, for some reason. I have always lived in Haughton, but I know from traveling around the country that Louisiana can't hold me. Alaska is a very progressive state, and Anchorage is cheaper than SF (about the only city in that state cheaper than SF…). You might want to go there…
I agree. I was born and raised in La. My family has lived there since the 1700s. If it weren't for that, I would never go back. It's not even as pretty as it used to be because of the industrialization and natural environment being destroyed also by hurricanes. Get out as soon as you can. It's a poor state that doesn't offer much to most people, unless you have roots or deep connections there. It's at the bottom of the list as far as health, quality of life, education, happiness, income, literacy.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I agree. I was born and raised in La. My family has lived there since the 1700s. If it weren't for that, I would never go back. It's not even as pretty as it used to be because of the industrialization and natural environment being destroyed also by hurricanes. Get out as soon as you can. It's a poor state that doesn't offer much to most people, unless you have roots or deep connections there. It's at the bottom of the list as far as health, quality of life, education, happiness, income, literacy.
I'm working out and getting in shape to join the military. I'm not sure if I should do Air Force or Navy. I have a bachelors in General Studies (I had 5 different specialized majors in college, but none of them worked out, so I had to graduate with General Studies...but at least I have A degree), but I plan to get something useful soon once I qualify for a GI bill.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Ahhh I hated living there too, and being military I had always loved anywhere. I just could *not* get with it there in Shreve/BC though. Just couldn't.

And I agree with the poster who said outsiders thought it was all like New Orleans. I swear everyone kept asking me if I was spending my evenings in the French Quarter or how often I got to New Orleans or if I went every weekend to... the beach? Huh? I'm like uh you know I'm like a 6 hour drive from that? I'd get no response. And then there where the ones that literally thought it was like "Steel Magnolias" or something of the sort with Dolly Parton taking you in with her southern charms and cooking you a homemade pie or something.

But for the record, some of the nicest people I ever met... but I'm not really one that needs to talk to strangers in the store, either.
^^^^^ +1 Hilarious post. Especially the bolded. At least Natchitoches is pretty close to Shreve/BC, as oppsed to 'the beach' or NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City