Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa View Post
I have no idea where the smell comes from but it does exist some days are worse than other. I am not imagining things. Perhaps it is the river and if it is that is gross too.

Why do you laugh at the green comment? I think it is really sad that this community has no pride and that no one cares. It is pretty embarassing how filthy this town is.

I am curious as to why someone who is wealthy wouldnt serve in the Military?
The only reason I can come up with is if it became a conflict of interest or something. I think they have a name for it but I am not very familiar with military terms or procedures. Even then I am assuming you would have to be extremely wealthy otherwise people would be seeking discharges soley based on wealth.
The "green" concept is merely a fad, and it's being perpetuated by the myth of global warming.

Why is it embarassing to you how filthy this area is? You're not from here, and your hometown pride is with another city. You simply want yet another reason to dislike this place because you're homesick.

I can't fault you for being homesick, but I do fault you for using a public forum as a means to bash a city where you clearly can't seem to fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 AM

12 posts, read 64,600 times
the myth of global warming? lol
Moderator cut: NO insultsNo seriously, I do agree that some people manipulate and take advantage of the whole global warming issues for thier own personal agendas but that does not mean it is not relevant.
It does exist perhaps not of the scale they are trying to feed us but it does. And there is nothing wrong with caring about mother earth and doing what you can to keep her clean. Moderator cut: and again...no directed remarks

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-07-2008 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 AM

12 posts, read 64,600 times
Also I dont want to argue or purposely disrespect anyone.
Clearly we dont agree on anything in relations to Shreveport.

So I will agree to disagree and move on...hopefully to TEXAS!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 AM

36 posts, read 239,758 times
Just as with any big city, S'port has it's good and bad areas. As it was mentioned here, if you think it is bad now, you should have seen it years ago. It has improved alot and is still improving. Crime is a problem in certain areas. You just need to learn what areas to avoid. As far as the smell, Atlas Refinery (or whatever it is called now) puts out some aweful odors, or did in the past. I am not sure if there are any saw mills but, they will also foul up the air. Or it simply could be chicken houses near where you live. I was born, raised and lived near S'port for nearly 38 years. IMO, I don't like S'port and I usually stay away unless I just have to go there. I hate the traffic more than anything. But I was raised in the country and I don't care for any big cities.

I would take SBCmetroguy's advice and research the areas thru the police department. As far as "eating aligator to fit it with the locals", this ain't South Louisiana so, you should be ok. However, it is pretty tasty.

Good luck with your move.

Oh yea, hey SBCmetroguy, doesn't that person that keeps harping on the smell of the Red River understand that the water in the river comes from Texas? LOL!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
MODERATOR:

Okey-dokey, neither tornados nor power failures will keep a thread on track for 15 hours...

Myssa doesn't like Shreveport. Fair enough. She's moving on. Good for her.

SBCmetro DOES like Shreveport. Fair enough. He's staying. Good for him.

The OP said "I am moving - where to live" - that is the subject matter. Not whether he should or shouldn't move, but where to live.

I honestly don't care what anyone's name, rank and serial number is. I don't care if you're a card carrying member of Greenpeace or have twelve degrees - everyone is entitled to a politely stated opinion. The personal insults will need to stop now. There is a way to be pro- and anti- an area that doesn't just get everyone upset. Please. No agendas, no insults, no overly spirited posts. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
MODERATOR:

Okey-dokey, neither tornados nor power failures will keep a thread on track for 15 hours...

Myssa doesn't like Shreveport. Fair enough. She's moving on. Good for her.

SBCmetro DOES like Shreveport. Fair enough. He's staying. Good for him.

The OP said "I am moving - where to live" - that is the subject matter. Not whether he should or shouldn't move, but where to live.

I honestly don't care what anyone's name, rank and serial number is. I don't care if you're a card carrying member of Greenpeace or have twelve degrees - everyone is entitled to a politely stated opinion. The personal insults will need to stop now. There is a way to be pro- and anti- an area that doesn't just get everyone upset. Please. No agendas, no insults, no overly spirited posts. Thank you.

Understood.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 12,734 times
Hi all. My wife and I are currently looking at a move to Shreveport as well. She is an actress and the opportunity there greatly outweighs what is available here in Atlanta (go figure, right!) I can work from anywhere and SBC is closer to our respective families in Houston and Jackson, MS. I have read through all threads that I can find re: the area and neighborhoods to look at, avoid etc etc. It sounds as if we would be interested in the S. Highland or S. Shreveport areas and would initially be in the market to rent (house or apartment). I have searched google, craigslist and the shreveport times online and common online apartment guides and haven't had much luck finding HOMES for rent. Are there any local resources (thrifty nickels, websites etc) where I might find more listings or is it just a matter of making the trip and driving the neighborhoods - I'm thinking that the latter may be the answer.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2SBC View Post
Hi all. My wife and I are currently looking at a move to Shreveport as well. She is an actress and the opportunity there greatly outweighs what is available here in Atlanta (go figure, right!) I can work from anywhere and SBC is closer to our respective families in Houston and Jackson, MS. I have read through all threads that I can find re: the area and neighborhoods to look at, avoid etc etc. It sounds as if we would be interested in the S. Highland or S. Shreveport areas and would initially be in the market to rent (house or apartment). I have searched google, craigslist and the shreveport times online and common online apartment guides and haven't had much luck finding HOMES for rent. Are there any local resources (thrifty nickels, websites etc) where I might find more listings or is it just a matter of making the trip and driving the neighborhoods - I'm thinking that the latter may be the answer.

Thanks!
The first thing you will notice about this area is that it's basically a "little ATL." I think that's why "the SBC" works so well here like "the ATL" works in Atlanta. You will do very well living here, coming from Atlanta.

Actually I read a story recently about a guy who moved here from Orlando to pursue his acting career. Like you said, "go figure." Who would have thought people would be moving to Shreveport, Louisiana, to pursue their acting careers? But it's happening now and it should pay off. These features area always casting, and people with acting experience will usually have a better chance of being cast.

South Highlands, Southeast Shreveport, North DeSoto, and North Bossier are the areas that you would probably be most comfortable with. South Highlands has that older charm to it, because it was a suburb built back in the 1920s. Though the city has grown up around it, it still has that small town charm to it and the homes are gorgeous. Pricey, but gorgeous.

I do know that a lot of local real estate agents own rental properties as well, and since posting a link like that might be against the forum rules I'll send you a PM with a link to the website for a real estate company. I know for a fact that some of their realtors own rental properties and you might be able to find something nice that way. I'll send the PM immediately.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Shreveport is really a diamond in the rough

Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,021 times
Shreveport is a racist cesspool of ignorance...DO NOT MOVE HERE!! I BEG YOU!!! I came from Atlanta, GA, and am doing anything possible to GET OUT! The education system is HORRIBLE -> #48 out of the states according to 2007 national stats....so even if you pay the outrageous private school fees, or somehow get into a magnet school, (which is impossible if you are african american), you are still only getting the best of the worst education....good times. THERE ARE NO JOBS AND NO CORPORATE OFFICES THAT AMOUNT TO ANYTHING. IF you do find work, rest assured you will be working in a "good 'ol boy system" with people that are have the mental capacity of a 12 year old. The people as a whole are rediculous, racist, and uneducated, who also believe that everyone should "stay with their own". You will definitely think that this place is stuck crica 1940-50. The governor is an idiot who only cares about his face on a national spotlight and not about reforming this horrifying state that lacks in EVERYTHING. I was warned about the "true south", and now that I am here I HATE that I didn't listen!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City