Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airicabb View Post
Shreveport is a racist cesspool of ignorance...DO NOT MOVE HERE!! I BEG YOU!!! I came from Atlanta, GA, and am doing anything possible to GET OUT! The education system is HORRIBLE -> #48 out of the states according to 2007 national stats....so even if you pay the outrageous private school fees, or somehow get into a magnet school, (which is impossible if you are african american), you are still only getting the best of the worst education....good times. THERE ARE NO JOBS AND NO CORPORATE OFFICES THAT AMOUNT TO ANYTHING. IF you do find work, rest assured you will be working in a "good 'ol boy system" with people that are have the mental capacity of a 12 year old. The people as a whole are rediculous, racist, and uneducated, who also believe that everyone should "stay with their own". You will definitely think that this place is stuck crica 1940-50. The governor is an idiot who only cares about his face on a national spotlight and not about reforming this horrifying state that lacks in EVERYTHING. I was warned about the "true south", and now that I am here I HATE that I didn't listen!!!!

I guess the unemployment rate being the lowest of most everywhere in the country at the time doesn't suit you? Maybe you should return to Atlanta where they are dealing with the sour economy. I can't say La is perfect, but it works for me.

Of course its not those oooo and ahhh places Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. are, but it's ok for some of us. We are not all rednecks and racists. Look what Ga, Al, SC, NC used to be about-the same thing. Sorry we are so backwoods but really I don't know if there is anything I can do about that. Better luck on your next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Shreveport is a racist cesspool of ignorance...DO NOT MOVE HERE!! I BEG YOU!!! I came from Atlanta, GA, and am doing anything possible to GET OUT! The education system is HORRIBLE -> #48 out of the states according to 2007 national stats....so even if you pay the outrageous private school fees, or somehow get into a magnet school, (which is impossible if you are african american), you are still only getting the best of the worst education....good times. THERE ARE NO JOBS AND NO CORPORATE OFFICES THAT AMOUNT TO ANYTHING. IF you do find work, rest assured you will be working in a "good 'ol boy system" with people that are have the mental capacity of a 12 year old. The people as a whole are rediculous, racist, and uneducated, who also believe that everyone should "stay with their own". You will definitely think that this place is stuck crica 1940-50. The governor is an idiot who only cares about his face on a national spotlight and not about reforming this horrifying state that lacks in EVERYTHING. I was warned about the "true south", and now that I am here I HATE that I didn't listen!!!!
Wow - let's see if I can counter this anti Louisiana bile with some facts:

(1) The quality of education you get depends on the school system;
(2) We are NOT in the doldrums like the rest of the nation. We do not have the critical mass of Fortune 500 companies, but we have home grown companies of various sizes;
(3) Some are racist and uneducated, while others are not;
(4) Actually, I was thinking we were stuck in 1985
(5) If we lack in EVERYTHING, why to 4 million people live here ? We're a small state that is half rural, half urban, so we're NOT a Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas. But we do OK
(6) As to the governor, the attitide he displays about his job has been noted by more and more newspaper columnists, and people are getting disgruntled.

...oh, and did I mention it is the middle of crawfish season right now ?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
First off, the grammar, misused capitalization, and other factors lead me to believe that this post deserves little merit.

Second, Shreveport has great high schools and magnet/private schools. There are many African American students at these schools.

Third, Shreveport is booming right now. Its economy is better than the national average. Lousiana's unemployment rate is the lowest in the nation.

Fourth, There are many youthful, dynamic people in the Shreveport area. Have you not had the pleasure of meeting them? I think Shreveport is pushing forward the floodgates of the future, not holding them back.

Fifth, I don't agree with every choice Mr. Jindal makes, however, he is doing a lot of good in the state of Louisiana. Open your eyes beyond his recent television appearances.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 AM

27 posts, read 154,308 times
Quote:
You come from Atlanta and have the nerve to call Shreveport a cesspool?? I've been to Atlanta several times...it deserves the reputation it's gotten! Shreveport is racist...even though it has a black mayor and several black city council members?? It seems like you came to Shreveport with an attitude, and Shreveport generally doesn't tolerate that. Perhaps it's best you did go back to Atlanta...and please take your attitude with you. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 34,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
E. 69th will get you killed instantly. Too many people die in that area from random killings, drug and gang-related killings, and STRAY BULLETS from gunfights.

Unfortunately I don't know about any of those others. Navaho Trail sounds like Cherokee Park to me, which is another place most people don't survive very long.

Give me a little while and I'll post up a map of the Highland area so you can see the street names. Then I would seriously suggest you checking with the Shreveport Police Department with specific street names.

omg lol i live in highland nobody has ever shot at me

Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Sorry for the delay, but here's the map I promised:

Copyright © 2005 City of Shreveport, Louisiana

This is the general area of the Highland Historic District and will give you some street names to use as a reference. Personally I would steer clear of anything in the upper portion of this map for safety reasons. And there are bus lines all over this area. I don't think there's any part of Shreveport proper that isn't covered by bus service. We also have nighttime service, and you can find that information here: SporTran Night Service.

While you're here it definitely wouldn't hurt to stop in to the Shreveport Police Headquarters, just outside of downtown near the I-20/I-49 interchange to ask for information on any of the streets on this district map.

I hope this is a help to you.

Merrick St. is not dangerous.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa View Post
My advice is don’t do it!!!
DO NOT move here!

Shreveport sucks bad.

I know I am going to catch flack for this but I am only being honest.
I moved here from Houston Texas 2 years ago because my fiancé is in the military and each day we mark off the calendar counting the days down until his service is up so we can move back home to our beloved TEXAS where they have class, culture, service, respect for their community , education and know the definition of luxury. Youree is a joke-TGIF, CHILIS & Olive Garden? pleaseeee
Superiors Steakhouse is ok but seriously it’s not that great but its just about all this town has that makes me forget I am in Louisiana for a few hours.

On a positive note---Louisiana’s crappy education system did wonders for my GPA!

Peace

Tell me you arent really judging the city based on restraunts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City