Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUTigerFan92 View Post
My family is moving from Baton Rouge to Shreveport in December. I'll be transfering from LSU BR to LSU Shreveport for my senior year. I already have been to Shreve a couple times to visit family, but still don't know much about the area. What's living there like? Is it a good place to start my career after graduation?

Thanks!
You should take a moment and scroll through or do a search through the Shreveport-Bossier forum and you'll get some ideas as to what it's like living here. I won't go into any length here as I've made enough comments on this very subject. The synopsis is Bossier is growing, Shreveport is losing population.
As far as places to live.... I'd say it's just okay, if you're over 50 yrs of age you might find this place okay.
But if you're a younger person with education, you'll probably leave for better opportunities in Dallas, Houston, New Orleans.

Get your education but keep your options open. If you're getting in the health sciences field then you'll find plenty of opportunity for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
You should take a moment and scroll through or do a search through the Shreveport-Bossier forum and you'll get some ideas as to what it's like living here. I won't go into any length here as I've made enough comments on this very subject. The synopsis is Bossier is growing, Shreveport is losing population.
As far as places to live.... I'd say it's just okay, if you're over 50 yrs of age you might find this place okay.
But if you're a younger person with education, you'll probably leave for better opportunities in Dallas, Houston, New Orleans.

Get your education but keep your options open. If you're getting in the health sciences field then you'll find plenty of opportunity for that.
Not really. It may look like that to someone on the outside, but if you actually look at things, WK owns this town, and is a monopoly. So, if you're okay with being told "Like it or leave" when it comes to benefits/pay/work conditions/etc. then sure, but if you want healthy competition and incentives to continue working for a system, etc. in your industry, no. Also keep in mind that there are more schools feeding the area than you can shake a stick at. This means that you are infinitely replaceable. It's a good place to get a few years experience, or to retire from, is my take on it.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Well like I said: opportunity in health services as far as getting a job is concerned... is perhaps more accurate.
Since the OP was finishing school... I went ahead to address the workforce situation here. If I were a youngster
looking for a "career" as opposed to a job, I'd focus on healthcare, get some experience ...maybe get mom & dad
to let me live at home while I get my footing... build a good resume and move on to somewhere the competition for
qualified medical folks is good for the job-seeker. Let's face it... Christus (Schumpert) is no more... it's going to be a
more diluted version of what it once was, and that's a fact.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Well like I said: opportunity in health services as far as getting a job is concerned... is perhaps more accurate.
Since the OP was finishing school... I went ahead to address the workforce situation here. If I were a youngster
looking for a "career" as opposed to a job, I'd focus on healthcare, get some experience ...maybe get mom & dad
to let me live at home while I get my footing... build a good resume and move on to somewhere the competition for
qualified medical folks is good for the job-seeker. Let's face it... Christus (Schumpert) is no more... it's going to be a
more diluted version of what it once was, and that's a fact.
Agreed, but it's not that easy to get a job here with half a dozen nursing schools pumping out all sorts of medical personnel.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Geez I moved in 2012. Sounds like it took a turn for the worse and I didn't think that was possible...

Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Geez I moved in 2012. Sounds like it took a turn for the worse and I didn't think that was possible...
I moved from Shreveport in 2013 and I'm not sure if the city took a turn as much as it is that the proverbial Smoke & Mirrors have faded.

People now see Shreveport for what it is...

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 12-09-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I moved from Shreveport in 2013 and I'm not sure if the city took a turn as much as it is that the proverbial Smoke & Mirrors have faded.

People now see Shreveport for what it is...
I hated Shreveport from day 1, but got into a school program and stuck around for the 5 years to complete it, lucked into a job situation that payed me 30% more than national average, stayed another 4 years for that, and am finally moving. My hatred has just grown and grown for this area and I have become more and more open about it.

Also consider that the oil money is drying up, here.

Also consider that the mayor has shown his failure to run the city more and more as problems just snowball with budgets and infrastructure, etc.

Also consider momentum...things rarely change without cause, they just go faster and faster, and this town has been headed for the toilet for decades.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 PM

I will admit that Shreveport has had the same problems as far back as 1984 which was the early part of the Oil & Gas Bust.
The downtown spiraled into decline within 2 years and has never recovered. I was hoping by now that things would've changed but only a little. I too am in the relocation phase as I anticipate 2015 to be the year I move.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
People there just don't like any change at all. I remember when the CenturyTel Center went up and all of the retired people in South Bossier were throwing a fit because it may cause traffic once every few weeks. They couldn't even keep a championship winning sports team (Mudbugs) in that stadium because nobody would attend. I feel sorry for them when Texas opens up gambling. I guess it's a good thing they have Hollywood giving them money...

Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
It has to be the most boring and stagnant place in Louisiana to live, hands down. I lived there for over 25 years and you'd have to drag me back, kicking and screaming. The people there are mostly boring and just live their lives day to day, family, church, job are their creeds... as if there's nothing else in life worth living for. They're pretty snobby to people that aren't "like them" either... aka not Christian. Or their skin color.

I guess it's great if you can't get enough of God, or you like to hunt or fish or something.
If you think that Shreveport is the most boring and stagnant place in Louisiana, you obviously haven't lived or traveled around Louisiana very much. I'm from a town called Zwolle, and I've also lived in Pineville (neighbor to Alexandria). Talk about boring and stagnant... I recently moved to Shreveport, and I would have to say that it has a lot more going for it than a lot of areas in Louisiana. Mind you, I don't think that Shreveport is great because all I know are hick-towns... I lived in the Midwest a few years, about an hour away from Chicago. I loved it there, and I would seriously consider moving back. All I'm trying to say is that Shreveport has MUCH more going for it in this state than most other places.

Last edited by stalehoneybun; 01-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City