Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 AM

30 posts, read 226,472 times

Advertisements

i'm riding in the iowa ragbrai in july and planned to visit sioux falls for four days beforehand but now i'm very unsure and skeptical of visiting, i've never been to s.d. and thought it would be a nice place with friendly people but after talking to the hotel reservation person and the local bike shop person i hope its not a mistake and waste of time and money. i assure you that i treated both people with respect and told them i was so excited to visit souix falls and they both seemed very disinterested and the hotel person was very rude, the bike shop person seemed very unconcered about anything what soever, i guess you can catch somebody on a bad day but both phone calls were the same, due most people from souix falls treat out of towners on vacation this way, what are the people like in your town, i like to mingle with people, enjoy the sites and spend my money but i only wish to be treated the way i treat people, any honest comments would be appreciated, thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 145,181 times
I would suggest that you get a postcard of the Falls and go to Rapid City!

Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
But be prepared for a very long, boring ride from the Falls to Rapid City! I believe that's why Wall Drug is so popular-you just have to stop and regain your sanity. Rapid City, Deadwood-yes.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Yup, that's why Wall Drug is there. It became so popular because they always offered free ice water to weary travelers years ago long before bottled water and air conditioned cars.

I know I should tell you to disregard the phone calls and just trust that everyone there is nice. We've never had any problems in Sx. Falls, but as far as people being outgoing, they aren't. It's the largest city here (140,000) and it really doesn't have the "feel" that a lot of So. Dak. towns have. I actually feel the same way that you do. We had searched out a vacation spot one time and before we booked our vacation package, I found their newspaper and was reading in their forum. In fact, I even ended up posting. People on the forum were SO rude that we changed our vacation plans. I know that only a few had set that tone, but it was a real turn off and we found somewhere nicer to go to. Also, when we were checking out another state in our elimination process, I had made a couple of phone calls there and also was treated rudely. The thing is~if someone in the tourism industry isn't friendly, it can really be a turnoff. And you're right~everyone has bad days, but it's odd to find two or three people having a bad day just the same day you decide to call.

I won't say that I find Sx. Falls unfriendly, but if I had a choice, I'd do as the previous posters stated. I'd head for the Hills.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Iowa to Rapid would be a very long bycycle ride, especially with the wind out of the south. A better idea might be to check with other participants of the ragbrai and try to hook up with them & their idea's. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy Souix Fallls, you just have to try again.

uh

Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM

157 posts, read 716,052 times
Default Love Sioux Falls or Leave It

Can't say as my family has ever had a bad time in Sioux Falls. Can't say the same of the little town of Garretson, which is nearby where we pitch our tent during camping vacation, then head for "SooFoo." Garretson is rather dull. Four bars to choose from at night. That's about it. Friendly gas station stop inside town. Nice folks.

But I digress. The only bad time we had in SooFoo is a certain motel on the north side where they tend not to change sheets for new customers. Run by some Middle Eastern outfit. So we moved up the road one motel and had a fantastic stay! Looks like a plain old trucker motel. Desk people are incredibly nice.

We hang out on Phillips Avenue, where there is a fantastic book store. Nice Irish bar on Phillips. SooFoo has an excellent art museum/concert hall, which was a blocklong high school. I'd say their modern art collection rivals any larger art museum in the country.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 46,574 times
I grew up in Sioux Falls, but moved to Kansas City Missouri a few years back. I still visit my parents in Sioux Falls every few months. I do know what you are saying. Sioux Falls people are not that friendly. Not mean, but not very friendly. I do love Sioux Falls, though. I feel very safe there and there is a lot to do there in terms of shopping and dining and family-friendly outings. I would move back to Sioux Falls in a heartbeat, but my husband won't. So, in a nutshell, Sioux Falls is a great town!

Mara

Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Sioux Falls people tend to think there is South Dakota, and then there is Sioux Falls.

Apparently you have to have over 100,000 people to be considered BIG.

Actually, everytime I go to Sioux Falls the people are very friendly and I get by fairly easily. They ask me where I'm from and I say Rapid City; they say what do you do for fun in that dinky place?!

I'm sure there's more to do in Rapid City being next to the Black Hills than in Sioux Falls in the middle of the prairie!

Sioux Falls may be big for South Dakota, but nowhere else!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,156 times
I personally have lived in Sioux Falls for several years. I can not really say people are rude unfriendly, however can not say they are extremely inviting either. The only place you will find genuine caring individuals is in the local bar. That is there social time and there bad day gone and good night starts. Good luck and no it is not a realy bad city just not a very happy and inviting group.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM

32 posts, read 145,181 times
I agree. I have found though that males who come here don't have as much problems getting in the social circle than woman. I find males to be more accepting than the females here. I know a couple that moved to Sioux Falls from Northern Virginia and her husband has no problem with making friends but his wife says that she feels so isolated. So maybe it's a gender thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls