Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 08:22 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times

Advertisements

New Orleans has a similar history as Charleston and it is bigger. Every city in the south experienced the civil war including Greenville. There was more wealth in Charleston post Civil War than Greenville. I imagine Greenville was viewed as the frontier back then. Growing up, all I ever heard about in my SC history classes was Charleston. I asked one teacher why she never talked about the rest of the state especially the western half and she got upset with me. So when I see Greenville has more people and jobs than Charleston, I start to short circuit a little.

I see you posted something about the city of Greenville only adding 24 people within a year while Florence added 94. That's hard to believe. There's no way Greenville lagged Florence. I wish that was true. People go crazy over downtown Greenville. Many people probably would have never moved to western SC if downtown Greenville was less appealing. They basically admit this. I view the downtown as kind of a curse now.

But it should go without saying, Greenville's downtown wouldn't be vibrant without all the people from the suburbs spending money there. Same goes for downtown Charleston to some extent although it does have the big tourist crowd as well.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-07-2023 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 06:25 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
As I’ve said before in as many words, the country is not in the city. It’s part of the MSA, but not part of the city. The part of an MSA that is developed enough to be considered an urban or urbanized area is the best measure to go by in determining a city’s “true” size.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:38 AM

And given the fact that the Charleston MSA’s Black population growth was so low (virtually nonexistent) over the last decade, it’s surprising to me that the MSA grew by 20% over that period. If area leaders can entice AA’s to take a deserved second look at this region, who knows what kind of growth it may see.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:00 AM

What would you say to entice black people that would be different from the current marketing?

How many people moved to Charleston as the result of city marketing? To see the city marketing, you already have an interest in the city. That's why you are looking at the city social media and website.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
What would you say to entice black people that would be different from the current marketing?

How many people moved to Charleston as the result of city marketing? To see the city marketing, you already have an interest in the city. That's why you are looking at the city social media and website.
I believe the Charleston region is already being marketed to appeal to a wide demographic range. Affordability is a problem that’s being treated as urgent, but Charleston is a city and region of opportunity. Everything from MUSC’s mission to increase AA’s awareness of that institution’s careers to the opening this month of the International African American Museum to the new way Charleston’s story is told to tourists to manufacturing and logistics jobs, and other factors, should help attract AA’s. I don’t claim to be knowledgeable about what AA’s want in a city or metro, but Charleston is not living in the past anymore. Even the Mills House is now Black-owned. It’s 2023.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:49 PM

I like to think of people as individuals, not interchangeable parts if they share a trait like skin color. For example, the skin color of a person shouldn't be relevant to a person putting a priority on proximity to beaches, one of Charleston's best selling points.

If you say there is a city marketing scheme that would or could appeal to all or most black people, you are implying that they essentially are of one mind.

It could be the common assertion of systemic white racism does hurt a city like Charleston that has the slave trade history more than most cities, especially because Charleston markets that history for tourism. Many of the people who are big on population growth and economic development in SC are also probably undermining both with the systemic white racism and white supremacy allegations. They aren't likely to mention SC's black senator, one of the three black senators, is from Charleston and still has a house and insurance business there.

In my view, those allegations are generally insincere and are made to achieve another objective.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-08-2023 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-09-2023, 06:11 AM

I didn’t say there was a city marketing scheme to attract African Americans. There isn’t one to my knowledge. Lots of people, though, you included apparently, haven’t gotten the memo that Charleston no longer tells the mint julep version of its history in tours.

The International African American Museum will draw many AA’s, no doubt, and while here, many will undoubtedly opt to take tours based on the information in tour brochures. Many of them will check out real estate brochures as well, and a certain percentage will be interested in seriously exploring the possibilities of moving to the area.

While any remaining misnomer of a notion that Charleston still “acts like” an antebellum city may still have an effect on its appeal to Black people at large, there’s no better way to dispel that myth than to prove in person that that’s a false narrative.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:51 AM

Black Americans are only 13.6% of the population in the US which is kind of shocking for a person like me who grew up in eastern SC where seems close to 50% black.

Think that is the reason Charleston doesn't see a big increase in black population, not black people thinking it is still an antebellum city. Charleston's black population growth is probably similar to other similar sized metros.

I can't see that museum drawing in a significant number of people who were not already going to visit Charleston for some other reason. The city already has history stuff.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-10-2023 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-12-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Black Americans are only 13.6% of the population in the US which is kind of shocking for a person like me who grew up in eastern SC where seems close to 50% black.

Think that is the reason Charleston doesn't see a big increase in black population, not black people thinking it is still an antebellum city. Charleston's black population growth is probably similar to other similar sized metros.

I can't see that museum drawing in a significant number of people who were not already going to visit Charleston for some other reason. The city already has history stuff.
No, metro Charleston has not been attracting AA’s at the same rate as other similar-sized metros, while whites have been pouring in. Affordability is one issue.

The IAAM’s upcoming opening has been widely published by international media. On several “where to go in 2023” lists that Charleston is on, the museum has been highlighted as a reason why.

(speaking of Charleston being “old and busted” (some other thread) as a tourist destination -

Old 06-12-2023, 02:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Charleston's Black population seems to be stagnating or slightly declining according to Census statistics. A big part of that likely has to do with the notable uptick in regional housing/living costs which are out of whack with local wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina