Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 09:21 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
No, metro Charleston has not been attracting AA’s at the same rate as other similar-sized metros, while whites have been pouring in. Affordability is one issue.

The IAAM’s upcoming opening has been widely published by international media. On several “where to go in 2023” lists that Charleston is on, the museum has been highlighted as a reason why.

(speaking of Charleston being “old and busted” (some other thread) as a tourist destination -
what percentage of people care about museums especially people you say can't afford Charleston? The people who read the publications you are talking about are the kind of people who already visit or move to Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston's Black population seems to be stagnating or slightly declining according to Census statistics. A big part of that likely has to do with the notable uptick in regional housing/living costs which are out of whack with local wages.
One cost of living calculator I looked at indicates N. Charleston housing costs are significantly lower than Atlanta and well below the national average.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:28 PM

301 posts, read 176,335 times
Isn't North Charleston ghetto? I went through there years ago.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:37 AM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
what percentage of people care about museums especially people you say can't afford Charleston? The people who read the publications you are talking about are the kind of people who already visit or move to Charleston.
Time will tell with the museum’s numbers, but Charleston is pretty often featured or mentioned on television talk shows and more heard about than most cities its size. The story the IAAM will tell should draw a lot of people to Charleston for that purpose. This museum is not a local, regional, state or even national secret. It’s out there.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
One cost of living calculator I looked at indicates N. Charleston housing costs are significantly lower than Atlanta and well below the national average.
Are you comparing the COL in a Charleston suburb to the COL in Atlanta?

Old 06-13-2023, 09:13 AM

I don't like the using the word ghetto because it sounds like you have contempt for poor people when you say it.

Both Charleston and N. Charleston do have a lot of poverty, probably the most dense area of poor people in the state. Some Charleston fans present the metro as every resident makes six figure salaries. There are people in Charleston who probably would have more real income in other metros but they think having less income is worth it to be in Charleston.

I believe a poll would reveal most people have never heard of that museum and it wouldn't be enough to entice people to visit or relocate. The aquarium is probably more popular with the general public than the history stuff. For me, the history stuff was a one time thing only but I could visit the aquarium every year or so.

The Charleston area has areas as affordable or more affordable than areas in Atlanta and other cities with higher number of black people moving in. It could be the case black people in general prefer other cities to Charleston and not related to housing costs.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-13-2023 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
And given the fact that the Charleston MSA’s Black population growth was so low (virtually nonexistent) over the last decade, it’s surprising to me that the MSA grew by 20% over that period. If area leaders can entice AA’s to take a deserved second look at this region, who knows what kind of growth it may see.
The low equity scores given by Greatschools.org and I assume other school score outfits for the Charleston area schools may have something to do with it. The low equity score, a 3, dropped Wando High School from a 9 overall score to a 7. I think Wando is generally considered the best public high school in the state.

I guess you would have to compare those scores to equity school scores in Atlanta and other cities. My brother said Lassiter High School is considered one of the best. It has a equity score of 10.

Do you know of any similar sized metro that had a higher number of AA's moving in?

Mauldin High in Greenville has a 6 equity score, Wade Hampton has a 5, Riverside a 7.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-20-2023 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-21-2023, 01:38 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
The low equity scores given by Greatschools.org and I assume other school score outfits for the Charleston area schools may have something to do with it. The low equity score, a 3, dropped Wando High School from a 9 overall score to a 7. I think Wando is generally considered the best public high school in the state.

I guess you would have to compare those scores to equity school scores in Atlanta and other cities. My brother said Lassiter High School is considered one of the best. It has a equity score of 10.

Do you know of any similar sized metro that had a higher number of AA's moving in?

Mauldin High in Greenville has a 6 equity score, Wade Hampton has a 5, Riverside a 7.
I wonder if Wandos score had anything to do with that school in McClellanville being shut down

Old 06-21-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:

The Charleston-North Charleston metro lost nearly 300 AA’s from 2010 to 2020. The Greenville-Anderson metro gained around 37,000. The Savannah, GA metro gained nearly 7,000. Is that what you mean?

Old 06-22-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I don't like the using the word ghetto because it sounds like you have contempt for poor people when you say it.

Both Charleston and N. Charleston do have a lot of poverty, probably the most dense area of poor people in the state. Some Charleston fans present the metro as every resident makes six figure salaries. There are people in Charleston who probably would have more real income in other metros but they think having less income is worth it to be in Charleston.

I believe a poll would reveal most people have never heard of that museum and it wouldn't be enough to entice people to visit or relocate. The aquarium is probably more popular with the general public than the history stuff. For me, the history stuff was a one time thing only but I could visit the aquarium every year or so.

The Charleston area has areas as affordable or more affordable than areas in Atlanta and other cities with higher number of black people moving in. It could be the case black people in general prefer other cities to Charleston and not related to housing costs.
Craig Melvin on the Today show did a spot the other morning in which a genealogist at the IAAM told him more about his ancestry than he could ever have imagined. The same happened days before with a CNN anchor.

Ancestry, the website, just got enough African American DNA to create a new South Carolina African American “Community” on their website. It came up on my DNA story because I have distant biological African American cousins through common ancestors who were white slaveholders, including a great, great-grandfather of mine that I knew had fathered children through at least one enslaved woman. Genealogy is a growing hobby/pastime in the Black community. Who knows? Ancestry might have released this new community knowing it would be timely with the IAAM’s opening.

BTW - different topic - There’s a subscribers-only article in The Greenville News today titled “Black Professionals in Greenville Discuss Impact of Lack of Diversity.” I’m not a subscriber, but the title indicates that perhaps Charleston’s not the only place that could be picked apart on this issue. Why 37,000 net Blacks to metro Greenville since 2000 versus minus 300 in metro Charleston? Cost of living? The opportunity to sell out for high real estate prices? Good questions.

In June, metro Charleston took a little breather in jobs gains from April to May compared to other metros. Fair enough. It still blew all others away year over year as of May.

https://www.dew.sc.gov/sites/dew/fil...se%20Final.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina