Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 02:29 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 342,641 times

Advertisements

Most people in Charleston have rarely spent time with a significant number of people in Greenville. The cities are over 3 hours apart.

I don't go to church. I have never had somebody judge me, whatever that means. How would anybody know if I go to church or not. I've never head of somebody in Greenville bullying another person for not going to church.

In my view, there are few people who are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. A social liberal will vote Democrat most of the time. If there are a ton of socially liberal and fiscally conservative people, there should be a viable third party.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-22-2024 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 03:19 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
I’m socially liberal and fiscally conservative. By fiscally conservative, I mean show me the puzzle, the money, and the expected results. If it fails, tell me why and try a different approach. I don’t approach spending at any level of government with a blanket “STOP!” And the philosophy that the federal government has basically one duty is counterproductive and stuck in the late 18th century.

And by social liberal, I mean don’t give parents any more say about schools in general than you give them about whether their children should attend drag events that aren’t adult material, or whether they should be allowed to be like the opposite gender if that’s their overwhelming nature. And quit trying to rule over whether my husband and I should have been able to be legally married based on your beliefs about the Bible or any other scriptural source, or because of the Constitution. And no one should have to leave their state to be married.

The use of “you” in this post is as in the proverbial “you”.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:43 PM

I think we are probably getting into irrelevant stuff for this topic. The topic has shifted away from a question posed from a conservative perspective to the perspective of people who are not conservative.

I'll just say again that most conservatives and/or Christians can be content living in Charleston, Greenville and other cities in SC. But the state isn't as conservative as advertised in my opinion. One example is recently Clemson installed female products in a men's restroom in the library. These products were eventually removed but there was a big student protest. Clemson is frequently described as one of the most conservative colleges but the same kind of stuff that occurs at Berkeley happens at Clemson. This news was noteworthy enough to be mentioned in national publications like the NY Post.

Both of our senators have C and lower ratings by various conservative organizations. On Twitter, I see conservatives in other states including blue states who are surprised by the kind of people voters in SC elect.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-22-2024 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 07:33 AM

And I’m just letting OP know anecdotally that people like me live in South Carolina, and I believe the coastal Lowcountry has a higher percentage of people like me than the Upstate does. It’s cultural.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:09 AM

How does the culture differ in Charleston if you can be a conservative or go to church?

A different culture is something like Amish.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
How does the culture differ in Charleston if you can be a conservative or go to church?

A different culture is something like Amish.
That’s a rigid interpretation of culture. Regional differences exist. I just read an article a minute ago that said religious “nones” are now the largest group in the U.S. Twenty-eight percent now identify as nones, meaning agnostic, atheist or nothing in particular.

Many of the nones believe in God but don’t associate themselves with organized religion. And, of course, many of the nones who believe in God aren’t Christian, Muslim or of any other such belief system. It would be interesting to see what percentage of each SC city/metro are nones.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/24/12263...unbxroZfEClrs0

Old 01-24-2024, 10:43 AM

I have lived in , Greenville, Columbia, Charleston. I didn't notice a difference in culture. The culture is you are free to believe whatever you want.

If crime tolerance and anti cop sentiment becomes the norm in Charleston, that would be a culture difference with Greenville.

The original In N Out burger joint closed in Oakland due to crime and city tolerance for it. I fear downtown Charleston will become a ghost town if cops are MIA.

Many people who are not religious want to adopt the religious ritual of marriage and have used government to redefine it. Marriage is a culture thing. District cultures don't adopt the rituals of other cultures. If you are annoyed with how the church defines marriage, that means you want to be included in the Christian culture.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-24-2024 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2024, 10:48 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoResident View Post
My family is considering moving to South Carolina (specifically Greenville or Charleston areas) from Idaho (Boise/Meridian).

Does anyone have any experience living in both places? If so, which State do you prefer and why?

We are a conservative Christian family.

Idaho has low crime, lots of public land, schools are okay but not great, is facing an infrastructure problems, and conservative.
I used to live in Greenville and it makes a good family city. You can go 5-10 miles out and be in the sticks although that may be changing since I left as well as traffic. Things I didn't like about Greenville is that they don't live up to the name Green. They seem to clear trees out without consideration for aesthetics or replacing said trees. Like the song "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot". It is getting expensive though for real estate but don't know how it compares to Boise. Traffic in Greenville I hear is getting bad but once you know the backroads you can get around easier.

Charleston. Areas like Summerville are family oriented but traffic is a nightmare. The town of Summerville is cute, reminds me of New England. Real estate is more moderate in pricing but don't know about schools and how they rank. Again traffic is a big consideration.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:42 PM

Other than Savannah, Greenville's downtown has the most trees I've seen in a downtown area.

I can't think of another metro the size of Greenville that has more trees than Greenville. Parking lots are a fact of life in urban areas.

Greenville has a huge state park 15 minutes from downtown.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I have lived in , Greenville, Columbia, Charleston. I didn't notice a difference in culture. The culture is you are free to believe whatever you want.

If crime tolerance and anti cop sentiment becomes the norm in Charleston, that would be a culture difference with Greenville.

The original In N Out burger joint closed in Oakland due to crime and city tolerance for it. I fear downtown Charleston will become a ghost town if cops are MIA.

Many people who are not religious want to adopt the religious ritual of marriage and have used government to redefine it. Marriage is a culture thing. District cultures don't adopt the rituals of other cultures. If you are annoyed with how the church defines marriage, that means you want to be included in the Christian culture.
Ever heard the word subtle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina