Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,455 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to South Carolina (specifically Greenville or Charleston areas) from Idaho (Boise/Meridian).

Does anyone have any experience living in both places? If so, which State do you prefer and why?

We are a conservative Christian family.

Idaho has low crime, lots of public land, schools are okay but not great, is facing an infrastructure problems, and conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 06:54 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
I've never been to Idaho but I understand there are thousands or millions of acres of public land that anyone can use for hiking, camping, fourwheeling, etc. South Carolina (and really, all of the East Coast states) will be significantly different in this regard. There are many public parks and trails and such, but these are going to be a lot more crowded and limited than if you are used to going out into the wilderness and not seeing anyone for days. There's still a lot of wilderness but much more of it is someone's private property compared to in Idaho.

Greenville is very conservative and Christian.
Schools are pretty good. At least not bad.
Roads always need upkeep in places but they do eventually get fixed. I wouldn't call it an infrastructure problem.
Crime statistics are not good, but in practice the crime is concentrated in certain places and roads you won't need to travel to/on anyway.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:21 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Families don’t generally move to Charleston looking for a conservative and Christian vibe. It sounds like Greenville would be a good fit.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:36 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoResident View Post
My family is considering moving to South Carolina (specifically Greenville or Charleston areas) from Idaho (Boise/Meridian).

Does anyone have any experience living in both places? If so, which State do you prefer and why?

We are a conservative Christian family.

Idaho has low crime, lots of public land, schools are okay but not great, is facing an infrastructure problems, and conservative.
Just curious on what would bring you from Idaho to SC? Is more for work, lifestyle change vs throwing a dart at a map. It may help people give you some advice.. I have been to Idaho (Sun Valley) but not Boise. I know people that live in Boise and they say it is growing rapidly with people seeking cheaper living than California or Washington State.. It has gotten expensive (for them) but they love the access to the outdoors and nature.

I agree with earlier posters that if you want a more conservative and Christian lifestyle and access to outdoor (way smaller mountains) then Greenville/Upstate would seem like a good fit. You can find rural, suburban or urban much like in Boise Metro.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,455 times
We would be moving for work, have the option to stay in Idaho or move to SC. Lifestyle change is another factor. Our goal is to eventually live on a few acres within 30 or so minutes of a city.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:30 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
If you want "old south, deep south" sub tropical, ocean type living than Charleston it is.

On the other hand, Greenville is growing rapidly for a reason. As a plus you can be up in the highest mountains east of the Mississippi in an hour. Me personally I would rather live in Greenville and visit Charleston.

Really dumb way to look at it, but if I'm fishing or telling my kids to go play in a lake I don't want to worry about alligators, Charleston has them.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:33 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Greenville is conservative, but the ones of us that live there know that it is more of a mix. I'm an ethnic person and I love Greenville. I do lean right of middle and believe in traditional values though.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:36 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
You would not have any issue being conservative or Christian in Charleston.

The suburbs were majority Republican last big election.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:48 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
You would not have any issue being conservative or Christian in Charleston.

The suburbs were majority Republican last big election.
True. Some try to pretend that it's liberal, but it isn't. It's a mixture.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:18 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
True. Some try to pretend that it's liberal, but it isn't. It's a mixture.

Yea I have no idea what Charlestondata is talking about considering Charleston city just elected a Republican mayor. Historically Charleston city proper has been more liberal (and that's Southern liberal) than the outlying suburbs.

I would say the conservatism in a suburb like Mt. Pleasant is a blend between fiscal conservative/social libertarian, fiscal and social conservatives, and Trump conservatives. There certainly are liberals and progressives as we've seen a large influx of transplants that might be changing the color a bit. But seriously every time I see someone on Nextdoor ask about a church, they're flooded with suggestions from people to come visit theirs.

There's a reason it's called the Holy City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina