Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 08:24 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 2 days ago)

5,741 posts, read 4,724,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Probably because Clemson typically isn't considered as good of a college as GT so if you say Clemson is as good it is sort of an insult to GT. That's not to say Clemson is a poor school. It's just not as good as GT.
One is #3 in the national rankings. The other #53. Seems pretty clear to me. And that's not a dig on Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 08:48 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 29 days ago)

770 posts, read 362,054 times
You don't respond to the points that I made, repeat the talking point. Higher education isn't about reciting talking points and marketing.

What m1a1mg thinks about Clemson vs Georgia Tech has no relevance to how employers view it.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:59 AM

I like data:

Clemson: https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...sity/salaries/

Georgia Tech: https://www.collegesimply.com/colleg...mpus/salaries/

Old 05-06-2024, 09:07 AM

Your data doesn't include things like cost of living info. I havent met many Georgia Tech grads in SC but many Clemson grads.

Average salary of graduates doesn't mean the quality of education at one college is better than another.

You were in the military. How can you judge the educational
quality of programs at colleges in fields you don't work in?

Old 05-06-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Your data doesn't include things like cost of living info. I havent met many Georgia Tech grads in SC but many Clemson grads.

Average salary of graduates doesn't mean the quality of education at one college is better than another.

You were in the military. How can you judge the educational
quality of programs at colleges in fields you don't work in?
I trust the experts. Not some random guy on the internet. Data rules. Can't believe an engineer doesn't grasp that.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:14 AM

Do engineers call you, a random person with no credentials and experience in engineering, before they hire an engineer?

Perhaps you should contact the admissions guy at Georgia Tech who was quoted in this article. He lumped G Tech with Clemson and NC State. He gets paid by G Tech and chose to associate G Tech with Clemson rather than the "elite" schools. He mentioned Clemson before Georgia Tech. I was surprised he mentioned Clemson and NC State. He understands it won't hurt Georgia Tech to be cast as similar to Clemson but Isnull said it's a slight to G Tech to say a Clemson is as good.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-06-2024 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 11:56 AM

Georgia Tech has more engineering graduates than Clemson but only met three in my jobs in SC, Maryland, NJ, and Alabama. Clemson seems to be most represented in SC. The GT degree doesn't seem to give an advantage at these companies or those grads don't apply to these jobs. If Georgia Tech grads are too high level for traditional engineering jobs that's a good thing for Clemson grads. Less competition.

I would wear a T shirt that says G Tech is a better college as long as I can get job.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:08 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Quote:
“Never before have we seen so much interest in colleges like Clemson, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina State,” the assistant vice provost and executive director of undergraduate admissions at Georgia Tech, Rick Clark, told the outlet. “That’s just unprecedented.”

Surprised I missed this on my first reading of the article. The executive director of admissions at G Tech put Clemson in the same category as Georgia Tech and even mentioned Clemson first. Sounds like he has a lot of contact with admissions people at Clemson and NC State.

I've always considered Clemson as a similar school to Georgia Tech. There are people, people who have no connection to G Tech, who get upset if you say that. They think you are insulting Georgia Tech if you say Clemson is as good.
I have hired engineers from all three schools and consider them as good as any engineer from any other school and better than a lot of others. For one thing, I don't have to hold their hands; just point them in the direction and let them go.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:48 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
A close friend of mine went to Johns Hopkins. His daughter went to USC's honors program and is now in vet school. I'm going to her wedding pretty soon. That is a good example of people who are Ivy material rejecting the Ivies. She is Jewish by the way.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:10 PM

4,221 posts, read 2,537,512 times
Quote:
NY Post is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the US.
Not exactly. The oldest continually published newspaper in the US is the Hartford Courant which was founded as a weekly in 1764; the oldest daily published newspaper in the US is the NY Post - 1801.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina