Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 03:41 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 27 days ago)

759 posts, read 360,613 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2024/04/24/us-new...-institutions/

That's a great headline for Clemson in one of our country's most prestigious papers. Makes me feel good.

Was kind of surprised to see this article because Clemson and other southern schools do have many professors and students with the same ideology seen at Ivy League colleges. Clemson had to cancel Taco Thursday because some students thought it was offensive.

I was in Clemson earlier and they had cops, cop cars and a fire truck on Bowman Field. Assume they were there to prevent student encampment / protests.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-03-2024 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 05:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,971,303 times
The post isn't prestigious unless you'd count The Sun or Daily Mail as a prestigious british paper

Old 05-03-2024, 10:50 PM

NY Post is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the US.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:57 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,971,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
NY Post is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the US.
Being old doesn't make you prestigious, having prestige makes you prestigious.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:40 AM

Sounds like you are trying to knock them down because you don't like the content of the article for some reason.

The biggest part of why Ivy League colleges are considered prestigious is they are the oldest colleges.

Prestigious or not, a large New York based newspaper name checked and presented Clemson as a more tolerant, safe, free and fun place to attend college vs "elite" schools up north.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 563,265 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are trying to knock them down because you don't like the content of the article for some reason.

The biggest part of why Ivy League colleges are considered prestigious is they are the oldest colleges.

Prestigious or not, a large New York based newspaper name checked and presented Clemson as a more tolerant, safe, free and fun place to attend college vs "elite" schools up north.
Might that newspaper have been the New York Post? They generally run "articles" that are highly questionable. Besides, I have never heard of any prestigious Ivy League school (who are prestigious because of the high quality of their education. Schools w/ low quality do not become old schools) that had any sort of antisemitism. They usually have a high percentage of Jews who are on faculty and as students.

A lot of what I see in the news is not antisemitism anyway, it's outrage at the genocide being done to the Palestinians by that insane leader the Israelis have.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:06 PM

I watched a video of the UCLA encampment in which the students with your views on the conflict would not let Jewish kids walk through the campus. Those kids should be expelled but won't be.

I don't think that would ever happen at a college in SC. Most people I know support Israel.

Most of the college kids with your views at these protests are wearing masks to conceal their identity. People with wholesome views and good intent typically don't hide behind masks. To be fair, it is possible they are all worried about covid. It's not good optics though. The KKK wore masks.

In my view, the southern college frat boys have kind of emerged as heros this week. They even protected the American flag on UNC's campus. The protestors were trying to replace the American flag with a Palestinian flag which is kind of weird. You can still get old fashioned fun Americanism at colleges in the south. Young people chanting USA never gets old.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-04-2024 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-05-2024, 10:32 AM

“Never before have we seen so much interest in colleges like Clemson, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina State,” the assistant vice provost and executive director of undergraduate admissions at Georgia Tech, Rick Clark, told the outlet. “That’s just unprecedented.”

Surprised I missed this on my first reading of the article. The executive director of admissions at G Tech put Clemson in the same category as Georgia Tech and even mentioned Clemson first. Sounds like he has a lot of contact with admissions people at Clemson and NC State.

I've always considered Clemson as a similar school to Georgia Tech. There are people, people who have no connection to G Tech, who get upset if you say that. They think you are insulting Georgia Tech if you say Clemson is as good.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-05-2024 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2024, 07:51 PM

3,594 posts, read 4,366,765 times
Quote:
They think you are insulting Georgia Tech if you say Clemson is as good.
Probably because Clemson typically isn't considered as good of a college as GT so if you say Clemson is as good it is sort of an insult to GT. That's not to say Clemson is a poor school. It's just not as good as GT.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:01 AM

But you are not proving Georgia Tech is a better school. You are not proving the professors are better, their students more knowledgeable, that employers would automatically hire a GTEch grad over a Clemson grad, etc. Companies don't consult US News for their hiring decisions.

Moreover, G Tech grads can't fill every engineering job. If Clemson grads can get a good job in the field of their choice, what makes the G Tech degree superior. You can't explain that you are making marketing assertions.

Their own admissions person put it in group with Clemson while discussing kids chosing southern colleges over "elite" schools.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 05-06-2024 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina