Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 04:46 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,104 times

Advertisements

Rave: new batteries in the thermostat....heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Rant: I just counted 13 white tail INSIDE my fence!!!!

Rave: Ok, they're pretty

Rant: But they're eating all the buds off the trees I planted and snorting around in the prairie flower seeds I just put in

Rant: Why don't they instead eat up the skit ton of black walnuts I scooped out of my yard and threw into the ditch?

Rave: At least they run away when I yell

Rant: But they drive my dog crazy and he chases them and last year he powered through the old wire section of fence and chased deer down to the county road, which is very dangerous.

Rave: But a nice lady made him get in her car and brought him home

Rant: But I still need to patch my fence. OK, tomorrow's job.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:24 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Rant: I just counted 13 white tail INSIDE my fence!!!!

Rave: Ok, they're pretty

Rant: But they're eating all the buds off the trees I planted and snorting around in the prairie flower seeds I just put in

Rant: Why don't they instead eat up the skit ton of black walnuts I scooped out of my yard and threw into the ditch?

Rave: At least they run away when I yell

Rant: But they drive my dog crazy and he chases them and last year he powered through the old wire section of fence and chased deer down to the county road, which is very dangerous.

Rave: But a nice lady made him get in her car and brought him home

Rant: But I still need to patch my fence. OK, tomorrow's job.
The power of deer over a dog's senses is too much for them.

Just barely south of Sioux Falls there's a guy with an invisible fence to keep his dog in. He even had the sign advertising that his dog was in "training" to stay in with his collar activating the fence. About 3 or 4 years ago I was coming up on his acreage and saw some deer in the field opposite his property. Almost as if on cue right in front of my car was his dog totally blowing through the magical invisible fence across the highway and after the deer as if it wasn't there. He figured the deer were worth the zap from the fence.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 AM

249 posts, read 241,745 times
I had 2 dozen or so Mule Deer in my yard the other morning. They looked like they were mostly yearlings that had been kicked out and on their own while Mama drops another fawn or two.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:40 AM

Rave: baling alfalfa!

Old 06-17-2020, 10:06 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Rave: baling alfalfa!
Rant: Baling alfalfa

Most people "Rave" about the smell of fresh cut alfalfa. I can't stand it. As one with hay fever directly allergic to alfalfa (not wild hay) as a farm boy it reminds me of miserable work and being stuffed up. It was one of the few opportunities for farm boys to make money by throwing haybales for the neighbors. I'd bale all day, come home and sleep in a recliner while practically pouring Dristan down my nose, get up the next morning and do it again. All for the minimum wage of the day.

It was alfalfa that triggered my last asthma attack in high school. Haven't had one since.

Rave: Handling the big bales of today with a tractor and fork has been a Godsend to farmers feeding livestock.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:46 PM

Rant: Mosquitoes .
Rave: dragonflies....

Old 07-11-2020, 10:33 PM

111 posts, read 95,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the old man View Post
rave: not to worry he has plenty of little girls to chase on my place

rant : all the dead headless deer I see along the hyways-you would swear that Sd had a cult that worships deer heads or something
Attached Thumbnails
Rant/Rave-rust-cole.jpg  

Old 07-11-2020, 11:25 PM

111 posts, read 95,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Now I want to RANT about barn swallows.

I hate the nasty things.

They build sloppy dirty drippy messy nests. Which they insist on building and re-building directly over frequently used doors.

And they dive bomb me whenever I walk the farm. I've taken to walking around with a snow shovel in hopes of whopping one or two.

I encourage all barn cats everywhere to murder all barn swallows! No "oh, poor birds" boo hoos from me!!!

Yech.

I declare WAR on barn swallows!!!
but they eat mosquitos

Old 08-15-2020, 07:46 AM

Rave:
https://www.facebook.com/events/319823239382450

Forestburg Melon Festival, Forestburg SD. August 15th 2020! Instead of the traditional festival/car show we are doing the "Covid Cruise" Entry fee is a non perishable food item that will be donated to the Sanborn Co. food pantry. First 50 entries will get dash plaques.
We will start at the festival site in Forestburg and cruise around the county. First to Woonsocket, then Letcher, on to Artesian, then back to Forestburg. Start signing up at 2PM and leave approx 3PM. All w vehicles welcome! Hope to see you there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota