Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times

Advertisements

pharmacist is one of the best fields to go into.. high paying and you can get a job anywhere. Don't know much about SDSU's programs but I see pharmacy is among them.

Other things of note... community gardens.. rent a garden plot and garden if you have an apartment with no yard to garden in.. I have two, but am currently only maintaining the 'perennial' plot for this year. Good price in a fairly nice setting.

Also the McCrory Gardens which is a very nice area to rest in with a diverse species of plantlife.

McCrory Gardens

Nature park in development as well. And of course Brookings relative centralized location where a 50 mile drive in any direction can hit up a variety of locations.

Driving in the winter is a piece of cake perhaps not the day of the storm, but the day after, and the interstate is usually fine. People like to embellish stories but fact of the matter is it's only bad if there's a blizzard warning, when light/dry snow falls and then strong winds reduce visibilities. That's only happened to me once, but it was bad. Everyone on the interstate was going 40MPH using hazards because you could literally not see 30 feet in front of you. The visibility in open areas was worse then the worst dense fog you could imagine. If you went 65 chances are you'd hit someone before having a chance to react to seeing them. But chances are you won't need to travel during these relatively rare times. Never seen anything like it though, as in eastern WI snows are wet and trees limit blowing. If you've lived in a snow state you'll be fine with a little common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM

202 posts, read 353,579 times
Yeah I live in Montana right now...so I think I can handle a heavy winter! Also PennyPony-I lived in Central California for 10 years so we are pretty much in the same boat!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
It is hard to get on campus accommodation - family undergrad- . I am thinking of living in SF . Do you think I can still make it to Brooking in the harsh winter ? Any thoughts please!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engr1961 View Post
It is hard to get on campus accommodation - family undergrad- . I am thinking of living in SF . Do you think I can still make it to Brooking in the harsh winter ? Any thoughts please!
During a normal South Dakota winter you should easily be able to make the commute from Sioux Falls to Brookings. We do have the occasional winter where it's one ground blizzard after another, but the kind that totally disrupts your school year are rare. Contrary to what people in other parts of the US think, we don't get that much snowfall up here normally. The danger here is the wind and the ground blizzards caused by it.

The good thing is it's interstate the whole way, thus should you ever end up in the ditch you're not on a road without help. People in South Dakota will stop and help a person in a stalled/stuck vehicle. It's not a question of whether someone will help, but how many will stop.

As been mentioned multiple times on SD threads, dress appropriately and stock your car with winter survival gear such as boots, a snowmobile suit, extra gloves, a blanket, some candy bars, a cell phone WITH car charging adapter, shovel, and kitty litter/bag of gravel should you get stuck on ice to help you get going. An often overlooked item, but is often invaluable is a good tow rope. If you have all this you would easily survive in your car until someone rescues you.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
I am from Northern Ca, thinking of sending my kid there because the tuition seems so cheap)))

Old 03-20-2015, 05:35 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickydo2075 View Post
I am from Northern Ca, thinking of sending my kid there because the tuition seems so cheap)))
Compared to most of the U.S. tuition is less at our state schools.

What would be your kids major? This would be a better determination of where to go.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,220,874 times
I just wanted to chime in and say Brookings is a lovely town. My parents went to SDSU, most of my relatives went there, and some of my relatives still live in Brookings. There's enough shopping and restaurants to have the basics and it's a pretty short drive from Sioux Falls; there's a lot of nice parks; they have a quintessential main street with restaurants, shops, and bars; and I think having a relatively large university contributes to generally higher IQ levels than similarly sized plains/midwest towns.

It could just be nostalgia speaking, but Brookings is one of my favorite small towns anywhere (though it's not small by SD standards). And if you like burgers/old diners, go to Nick's and eat a few hamburgers.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 847 times
Brookings has all the stores in the area, a hospital, many doctors and dentists, fast food places, a police dept that is friendly (unless you do something really bad). It is a quiet town for a college town, safer than most other campuses. They are strict on traffic laws and DWI though, consequently, the area is pretty safe to drive in. Off campus housing is a bit high (for the area) unless you get into the smaller surrounding towns then it is about 1/3 as much (or less). Winters can be rough, if you live out of town and commute I advise having a 4 wheel drive vehicle with snow tires on every wheel. Dakota Winters are famous/infamous for being COLD and windy with lots of drifting snow. If you can afford to live on campus I advise it. Dress warm keep all exposed skin covered as sometimes frostbite can set in in less than a minute. Basically (other than the Winters) is really a nice friendly, open minded, area and most all the businesses are geared toward the college students. I moved here 20 years ago and stayed, people here are really helpful, polite, and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota