Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM

32 posts, read 220,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
But the real question is: Why is there no East Virginia? That bothered me in the sixth grade. It ruins my sense of evenness. lol
Haha, or Original Virginia/New Virginia.

West Virginia is a killer state to visit, some of the best scenery in the east, I can account for that personally.

CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieroff View Post
Haha, or Original Virginia/New Virginia.

West Virginia is a killer state to visit, some of the best scenery in the east, I can account for that personally.

CT
West Virginia has great scenery, but NH has some of the best scenery in the east in my opinion. The White Mountains are great.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM

32 posts, read 220,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
West Virginia has great scenery, but NH has some of the best scenery in the east in my opinion. The White Mountains are great.
It certainly looks like you believe so, due to the location you have in your sig.

I haven't been there before, but have seen picture, the northern Appalachians are beautiful. You're also close to the Adirondacks in New York, and Acadia National Park.

Beautiful country up there.

South Dakota has quite a variety of nice scenery and pretty central to some other places. Pine Ridge Nebraska,Niobrara, Bighorn Mountains, Laramie Mountains and so on. Black Hills, Badlands and various areas in the High Plains also.

How lucky we are to have such a vast land with the scenery that we do.

CT

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
Personally I think SD is a lot more interesting to live in than ND. I just think ND's boring. Personal preference.
Of course, being from SoDak, you don't have any bias....

Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Of course, being from SoDak, you don't have any bias....
That's funny! I guess this is sort of a rough topic for us to actually answer without being biased. Most of us here are from SOUTH Dakota and some of us have always lived here. If this same thread was posted in the NORTH Dakota forum, the answers would probably be the total opposite.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Of course I am bias towards South Dakota because I have grown up here and I have never been to North Dakota, but both states have great qualities. I think SD is larger than ND by over 100,000 people. Fargo has less than 100,000 people while Sioux Falls is probably going to double that soon. ND also has no large city in the west while SD has Rapid City with about 80,000 people. SD has the Black Hills too while ND has no significant mountain range, just Badlands which SD also has.

North Dakota has been wanting to change their name to "Dakota" for a while now because for some reason they think the word "north" makes it seem cold.

I don't see how this will change the climate.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieroff View Post
It certainly looks like you believe so, due to the location you have in your sig.

I haven't been there before, but have seen picture, the northern Appalachians are beautiful. You're also close to the Adirondacks in New York, and Acadia National Park.

Beautiful country up there.

South Dakota has quite a variety of nice scenery and pretty central to some other places. Pine Ridge Nebraska,Niobrara, Bighorn Mountains, Laramie Mountains and so on. Black Hills, Badlands and various areas in the High Plains also.

How lucky we are to have such a vast land with the scenery that we do.

CT
I am moving to the south-central area of NH, but all of the mountain chains and national forest areas are spectacular to visit in northern areas of New England.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-07-2008 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Of course I am bias towards South Dakota because I have grown up here and I have never been to North Dakota, but both states have great qualities. I think SD is larger than ND by over 100,000 people. Fargo has less than 100,000 people while Sioux Falls is probably going to double that soon. ND also has no large city in the west while SD has Rapid City with about 80,000 people. SD has the Black Hills too while ND has no significant mountain range, just Badlands which SD also has.

North Dakota has been wanting to change their name to "Dakota" for a while now because for some reason they think the word "north" makes it seem cold.

I don't see how this will change the climate.
How does population determine the quality of life? To me, the smaller cities have more to offer because they still have mantained some of there original roots. Yes! Big cities have more malls, restaurants.. etc.. If that is whats important to you, the twin cities are not far away. More available there than anywhere in NoDak or SoDak..) Also, the badlands of SoDak is a very small area compared to the rest of the state. NoDak has some very kewl areas too. Hey! I love SoDak! I consider myself a Dakotan! We both have intresting places to see. You would be surprised about all the interesting places in North Dakota, as I'm sure I would be the same of SoDak. To me, its not a NoDak vs SoDak issue. Its more about the lifestyle available to anyone wanting to move to this part of the country. Now, we need to convince Jammie to still want to stay. She thinks its all about the weather...lol
Poor soul....lol

Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Yea, I'm still searching for that nice warm area that has the same quality of life we have here. Sounds like I may be searching for a while. I've actually always hated the cold and snow, but health issues have just made cold weather awful for me. There's the bit of fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis thing going on that makes me miserable in the cold. But who knows~I'll probably end up dying here.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Question Careful what you wish for...

Funny, Jammie, I have lupus and arthritis, and I feel better when I am in the western cold. It is hard to get started, but once I do, I am able to go longer and function better than in the heat. I have been in both desert heat (NM and NV) and coastal heat, and by far the worst is coastal. The humidity gets into your bones, and makes both the cold and the heat more intense. In humidity, cold weather may be milder, but it feels like icy-fanged mice constantly gnawing at your bone marrow. In drier air, cleaner air, and in the mountains, the cold is light and crisp and stays outside of your body - if that makes sense...

Um, did you notice that while many people move to warmer climes to retire, they don't live as long, or they have many more complaints and illnesses, than those who remain up Nawth? The heart attack, diabetes, and obesity rates are much higher in the South, also known as the "Heart Disease Belt". There are a lot of reasons for this - but sitting in air conditioning for six months, eating all manner of high-fat foods, and a lack of exercise might all combine!

As far as SD vs ND, I'm looking for differences, too - but the fact that SD has more population kinda kills it. We are over-restauranted out, and don't need the "night life" anymore, other than a quiet little bar on occasion.

Any differences in music/radio station preferences? The population of ND is more Norwiegian; what's SD's prevalent population origin or ancestry? Who has more local fairs and auctions and so forth, and who has the larger-scale county fairs? Who has more 4-H participation? Who has more acceptance of eclectic art? Who has more Lions' clubs, Rotary clubs (I'm a past prez of Rotary), who is more committed to volunteerism and other social clubs?

Enquiring minds want to know! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota