Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,243 times

Advertisements

They say it's never too old to go to college. Well, now I'm 27 and finally decided to pursue my higher education.
Which South Dakota school is better: SDSU or USD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWanderer View Post
They say it's never too old to go to college. Well, now I'm 27 and finally decided to pursue my higher education.
Which South Dakota school is better: SDSU or USD?

Both may be your answer depending on what your major is.

In general, SDSU is for anything agricultural. They also have pre-veterinary studies, but you have to go out of state for Veterinary school. It also has the largest engineering program. However, if you can hack it, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology has a tougher and higher rated program.

If you're looking at the sciences, in particular the health sciences, it's USD. Both schools have decent nursing programs. The pharmacy school is at SDSU, but you can take pre-pharmacy at either institution. The Medical school is at USD, thus nearly all the undergrad health sciences and all (other than pharmacy & nursing) of the graduate school programs are there too.

If it's computers you're looking into, most likely the best program in the state is neither USD or SDSU, but Dakota State.

If it's a mathematics major not also entailing education, I believe both places have pretty strong programs. If it's math education, definitely USD.

If it's business (other than Ag once again) USD is by far the best program. They have a School of Business that you go to your junior and senior year. Freshman and Sophomore years are pre-business. More business class requirements without all the extra non-business worthless electives. The law school is at USD and probably the best, but hardest pre-law route is to go thru the business school.

In education the best programs are USD and probably Northern State. At USD there's an actual School of Education making sure you're better prepared for the classroom.

The only aviation school is at SDSU. This program is kind of a sham as it will take you forever to graduate AND it will cost tons of money getting the air time as well as taking the necessary classes that aren't always offered every semester. I've known several people who've discovered this.

If you're into athletics and having time to major in partying, there's more offered at SDSU.

Music departments I really can't compare. The marching band "Pride of the Dakotas" from SDSU I hate to say heavily overshadows what USD has.

I do know USD has a very strong fine arts department. I'm unsure how SDSU compares. It may be just as good.

When it comes to political science, communications, sociology, and similar type majors I have no idea or opinion.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:05 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I just spent a few days at USD and SDSU. I'd say jmgg's comments are extremely accurate.

At SDSU they said Ag was their largest student enrollment. Both campuses are small and comfortable. They remind me (as well as the towns they are in) of regional universities in other states. Even North Dakota and North Dakota State seemed much larger and more intimidating than USD and SDSU.

I got the impression that the South Dakota schools were big on more personal involvement with their students than you might see at the typical "State U"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota